Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 AM

19 posts, read 45,750 times

Advertisements

I am currently a full-time student and have been living here with my long-term partner for the past couple years. Before we moved here I Was able to keep a full-time steady job but haven't had much luck finding a permanent part-time or full-time jobs here in the city. I was curious of how bad the economy is here for people trying to find unskilled jobs and if anyone had any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 09:29 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,714,727 times
what do you mean by unskilled? do you mean like waitress/hostess/retail? or something even easier than that? I see signs all over the place of places that are hiring. Just walk in. Also, try snagajob.com they have a lot of unskilled job postings there.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
what do you mean by unskilled? do you mean like waitress/hostess/retail? or something even easier than that? I see signs all over the place of places that are hiring. Just walk in. Also, try snagajob.com they have a lot of unskilled job postings there.
Yes, thats what I mean. I have never worked in customer service or worked in any retail jobs because I was lucky enough to find jobs in child care and data entry work and when I have applied for retail stores I have been told that because of my lack of experience in those areas it is going to be hard to find a job in customer service.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:42 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,714,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemusic4lyfe View Post
Yes, thats what I mean. I have never worked in customer service or worked in any retail jobs because I was lucky enough to find jobs in child care and data entry work and when I have applied for retail stores I have been told that because of my lack of experience in those areas it is going to be hard to find a job in customer service.
Do you not want to work a child care/data entry job anymore? Or are you unable to work the hours?

Old 01-22-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
Do you not want to work a child care/data entry job anymore? Or are you unable to work the hours?
I am still interested in those type of jobs. I have had interviews with temp agencies for data entry work but still haven't found anything. I don't know how much competition there is for those type of jobs. With my full-time school schedule I do find it hard to just apply to any job due to the hours but i am still willing to be as flexible as I can. Is there a good temp agency that you would suggest?

Old 01-22-2013, 10:13 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,834,803 times
Quote:
when I have applied for retail stores I have been told that because of my lack of experience in those areas it is going to be hard to find a job in customer service.
It's totally absurd for those stores to be saying that. 10 years ago Banana Rep and Old Navy were hiring salespeople regardless of background as long as they had at least secondary degrees and were not unacceptably incompetent. You can do the job. It looks like the large applicant pool and shrinking retail jobs are incenting these stores to be more picky. Can you look for jobs outside of Manhattan?

Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,892,174 times
Even at the level of restaurant or retail stores people often get their friends and family members jobs. Keep applying, but you have to to ask friends for advice to see if they can direct you to who is hiring.

Also, there are a lot of unskilled jobs on newyork.craigslist.org. That's probably the best place to look.

For retailers, restaurants, and bars in Manhattan, they typically do want experienced, professional people in that sector. Because they have access to such a large pool of people who have already had their first retail job outside of Manhattan, there's no desire for them to be the first one to train you on the job. Its really been that way for awhile.

Alternatively, you can see if you can get any jobs on campus or if there's an office at your campus that can advise you.

Workforce1 has multiple offices over New York City, and they list retail and other unskilled jobs. Google them and register at their offices.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:30 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,258,547 times
Quote:
Anyone who has been a customer at a chain store in NYC knows that on average the workers are typically poor at customer service -- so its hard for me to believe that standards are that high. Apple stores seem to be the exception.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:00 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,988,244 times
Quote:
I am currently a full-time student and have been living here with my long-term partner for the past couple years. Before we moved here I Was able to keep a full-time steady job but haven't had much luck finding a permanent part-time or full-time jobs here in the city. I was curious of how bad the economy is here for people trying to find unskilled jobs and if anyone had any advice.
Competetion in NYC jobs gets fierce by every passing day as more and more out of towners jump out of LGA Airport and Port Authority bus Terminal, as more and more youths drop out of high school, as more and more immigrants hop out of JFK airport, when locals pick up their degrees and certified certificates etc. Job market here is tough and its forcing me to the point of looking at manifest destiny and see what prospects are outside of NY. As for the economy in NYC its bad for some while others its not so bad, I heard some say the economy here is good for them with many oppurtunities. As for you keep on trying, something will pop up. Everyone has some sort of skill, I would not call a unskilled jobs unskilled maybe low skill.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:21 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,580,900 times
Quote:
I've seen some jobseekers post what types of jobs they'd like in the "community" section of Craigslist and Craigslist seems to allow it thankfully. Most seem to be unskilled. I say "thankfully" because I feel those who are unskilled need a free place to advertise since the world is not exactly their oyster. Not sure how many responses you'd receive via this idea though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City