Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 01:41 PM

2 posts, read 4,840 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately the noise regulations are 300 years old and they not going to change very soon ,look at the various things peoples making up laws,who is moving into your next door,do you smoke ,you like guy's or girl's,you black or white,you like cat's or dog's ,you have a bank account's or not ,have a new car or not,and on and on .... stupid **** but how distractive noise is nobody give a dam because if you end up taking 4 different anti anxiety that normal in this stupid society until I' can party all night long ,let constraction workers tear the whole place down above my head ,let other peoples pet's chew you up who care's
we living in a very big controlled enviroment where everything is paid by you and if you don't like this you can move into a nice Mental Hospital if you can afford it wake up your freedom to anything is been taking away from you since the dawn of time.just be submittive and take it like is hot.you gonna be OK>>>>>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 01:22 PM

18,357 posts, read 31,432,361 times
So then when can construction work be done if it isnt during m-f 9-5???

really????

Old 06-21-2013, 09:24 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,832,279 times
I had one next to me put in a laminate floor...I swear he banged on each plank for 10 minutes and the job took him weeks.
As soon as he finished, the upstairs started installing a new kitchen, including a broken pipe all for my benefit.
The floor upstairs is hideous old parquet so I think it might just be a matter of time 'til it's Bang....Bang....Bang....Bang...ad infinitum.

If/when I do mine I think I might use a jackhammer. (Probably easier though just to buy a couple more nice carpets.)

Old 02-14-2014, 03:55 PM

4 posts, read 5,551 times
Default noise

I have a situation slightly different. I live in a 6 family, 3 story rent stabilized building, one apartment on each side. The whole block is the same thing, the buildings are wall to wall. There is an air shaft between the interior of each building. I live on second floor. There has been construction going on for over 6 months in the building next to me, first floor, opposite side. Hammering, drilling, sawing, loud music, etc. This doesn't happen every single day, about every other day or every third day. My walls rattle from the hammering and drilling. They also work outside of the basement, in the air shaft, which is right under my living room window. They usually don't start until 4 or 5pm and usually go to 10 or 11pm, some nights they went to midnight, and this happens any day of the week. As far as whatever is being done there being legal I totally doubt it, apartment conversions. I wake up at 4am to go to work and besides the annoyance of enjoying evenings at home it is affecting my sleep. I understand work needing to be done but months in one apartment and 10,11 and 12 o'clock at night. I know noise complaints probably go nowhere in this city, and I really don't want the nonsense of a bigger problem, I just want them to finish already, but until then if it keeps up is there anything that can be done?

Old 01-06-2016, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,037 times
The thing is i don't work at home i am retired. I can understand the renovations but please not before 9am and end way past 6pm or longer. The repairs are right along my wall in my bedroom so i am awakened to sounds as if the wall is coming down and the room shaking like a earth quake happening. Hope work will be done soon im at wits end.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:54 PM

126 posts, read 212,827 times
I don't get how people have noise complaints during construction hours. I would move out of NYC if I was distracted by noise... Its part of living in NyC

Old 05-11-2021, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 288 times
Ive got same situation... work going on for 5+ months in upstairs 1 bdrm apt, same size as mine so i know its not that big and the job just wont end... No notice, nothing, and the LL just bull****s me with bogus time estimates when I complain. I think its worth standing up and making some ”noise” yourself... Landlords know what they can and cant get away with and ultimately dont care much about inconveniencing their tenants if they wont experience reprocussions. The laws are slated in their favor anyway... Theyve got you by the balls because you LIVE adjacent to the noise and the landlord, presumably, does not, so of course theyre not going to care as much... I say give em hell. Theres no reason you should just shut up and eat it when your right to a relatively peaceful space in the home youre paying for is being disrupted... by the person youre paying! Eff that noise.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:09 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,684,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Ayl View Post
Ive got same situation... work going on for 5+ months in upstairs 1 bdrm apt,.
I use a white noise machine to sleep in this situation and I think it's very effective

I have the old fashioned Marpac kind, not the electronic. I have not used the electronic type that have waves and other things.
What I have is a small fan that is completely enclosed in a squat plastic cylinder with small holes in it.
It makes a continuous whooshing sound that drowns out other frequencies and theres a sliding thing that alters the holes shape which can change the sound a bit, more or less muffled
It's very effective. I have it about three feet away from the top of the bed.
Also you have to train your mind if there is no way to sop the sound to not think "this is wrong this shouldn't be happening". I came to this after trying to oppose it with calls to 311 etc. but these construction companies can do what they want or if it's electric or water systems and the city is ripping up the street for repairs it can be at any hour, 4 am whatever. There is zero you can do to stop it usually. If a private company is breaking the rules by the time you report it, there will never be an inspector there when it's happening, not even the same day.

Old 05-11-2021, 08:49 PM

15,805 posts, read 6,631,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairOfTheDog View Post
Hello,
I'm at wit's end with a noise problem that has been making my days absolute hell for the past 3 months.

Rent stabilized apartment, been here for 20 yrs. Most of that time I've had a decent relationship w/ the landlords -- they usually stay out of my way, I stay out of theirs'.

I've had very little contact with the landlords over this. I've heard through the bldg grapevine that this is probably going to continue through Easter.

Response: Opinion

You have a great relationship with a Landlord as long as they stay out of your way?

20 years rent stabilized? ......starting a new business ?................cutting back on rent?

I want them to get busted and fined up the Wazoo?

You are not portraying yourself in the finest of lights.

Sounds more like sour grapes......

Best wishes................anyways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City