Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:19 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Great post.
Unfortunately the city is still growing.
Try again.
The city growth is probably not that huge, the only thing that keeps the city growing is Gen Y Midwestern, West Coast and Down South Transplants and Immigrants who off set the natives population of Gen Yers who move to other cities across America, AA population who are going back Down South because Jim Crow is live and well up here, undersierables with families who move to Tristate area and PA, and retirees who are looking to die in the sunshine Florida or arid Arizona. People are really the biggest commidity here in NYC. When someone leaves NYC someone is already waiting in the wind when they hop off of Penn Station, Port Authority Bus Terminal/Station, LGA Airport and JFK Airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 07:24 PM

594 posts, read 1,633,699 times
I'd take one if I were single. I actually had an idea similar to this a few years ago after I got off a cruise ship. When I got back to my apartment I was amazed at how much space I had that I just wasn't using at thought to myself "Wow if I could rent an apt. the size of the stateroom I had on the ship, I'd be fine with it." Might as well trim the fat, lower your carbon footprint, and save a bundle on rent while you're at it.

Kind of ironic how seeing that they're all pre-manufactured, they're little more than glorified single-wide trailers. Come pay $940 a month to live like a redneck in the heart of New York!

But, seeing that I now have a wife and 2 kids to think about, there's no way I'd consider living in something like this.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:05 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,166,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Did I say the city is shrinking? No, I am speaking of the lifelong NY'rs who leave.

Great post, try again though...

What, leaving or living like hamsters? Not certain what you're referring to.
Let them leave. There is a new generation of New Yorkers because we live in a changing city. Definitely changing for the better.

Quote:
Lol you guys are still killin me here. Is not an entire building full of $940 apts. there will be a few...
Even the $1,000+ apartments are reasonable considering the building's amenities and location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I don't agree with studio apartments. It is one room, a person needs more than that to have some sort of quality of life.

to me a person needs:

a bedroom
a kitchen
a living room
a bathroom

one room is no better than a jail cell.

at least the tenements of the lower east side had a few rooms per each apartment.
There is a kitchen, bathroom and multi-use room. The multi-use room fills the role of bedroom and entertainment space/living room. What's with the lame jail cell comparison here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
but they arent, they are even smaller.

just how small a space do they think humans can live in.?????

are we going backwards in time????

it figures our illegal 3rd term mayor would like something like this, wonder how he could live in it.
How are you going backwards in time by building even more efficiently? Has it ever occurred to you that maybe you own too many meaningless material items, or that you underutilize most of the space you have? This wasn't Bloomberg's idea, many people who study living trends came up with this. You know; sociologist, urban planners, architects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
The city growth is probably not that huge, the only thing that keeps the city growing is Gen Y Midwestern, West Coast and Down South Transplants and Immigrants who off set the natives population of Gen Yers who move to other cities across America, AA population who are going back Down South because Jim Crow is live and well up here, undersierables with families who move to Tristate area and PA, and retirees who are looking to die in the sunshine Florida or arid Arizona. People are really the biggest commidity here in NYC. When someone leaves NYC someone is already waiting in the wind when they hop off of Penn Station, Port Authority Bus Terminal/Station, LGA Airport and JFK Airport.
This city attracts an international crowd. We have things other cities can only dream of. NYC is a booming world class city. We will continue to grow so long as we add jobs, innovate and continue to be an attractive place to live.

If you any of you don't like it, it's simple really. Don't move into one.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:21 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Let them leave. There is a new generation of New Yorkers because we live in a changing city. Definitely changing for the better.
Well that's definitely all a matter of opinion. If by "changing for the better" you mean either the modern day pvssified yup or quick to gang stomp you hood rat, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Quote:
Even the $1,000+ apartments are reasonable considering the building's amenities and location.
You mean the $1,800 apts?

Old 01-25-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Well that's definitely all a matter of opinion. If by "changing for the better" you mean either the modern day pvssified yup or quick to gang stomp you hood rat, then we'll have to agree to disagree.

You mean the $1,800 apts?
It is an opinion; however I consider declining crime rates, a construction boom, new parks and green initiatives, new cultural facilities and schools, record tourism, increased diversity, and a booming commercial/retail/nightlife/restaurant sector changing for the better.

I don't see New Yorkers "leaving in droves" anyway. Few of my friends and family have left the city. Where would you rather live, Florida..?

I want you to find me a studio apartment right now:

•Murray Hill or Kips Bay
•New construction
•Gym
•Laundry room
•Rooftop garden/patio
•Social/Entertainment space
•Ground floor cafe. (Optional)

Post a link and good luck. Also take into account, this building is adding 50+ of these fully featured units to the market. And more construction will only create even more housing in that price range.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:47 PM

510 posts, read 1,442,787 times
All of you guys are droning on and on about transplants moving in and screwing the city up. Meanwhile look back a generation or two and I'm willing to bet your families came here from somewhere else too. My great grandparents were immigrants. Just because Me, my parents and my grandparents were born in the city do I consider myself any more of a New Yorker than the person next to me who moved here a few years ago? Of course not. Holding grudges against entire groups of people and blaming them for our societal ills sounds kind of familiar, no?

Old 01-25-2013, 09:52 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,219 times
Quote:
It is an opinion; however I consider declining crime rates, a construction boom, new parks and green initiatives, new cultural facilities and schools, record tourism, increased diversity, and a booming commercial/retail/nightlife/restaurant sector changing for the better.

I don't see New Yorkers "leaving in droves" anyway. Few of my friends and family have left the city. Where would you rather live, Florida..?

I want you to find me a studio apartment right now:

•Murray Hill or Kips Bay
•New construction
•Gym
•Laundry room
•Rooftop garden/patio
•Social/Entertainment space
•Ground floor cafe. (Optional)

Post a link and good luck. Also take into account, this building is adding 50+ of these fully featured units to the market. And more construction will only create even more housing in that price range.

FFS kiddo, do you look for any oppurtunity on this board to throw around your "progressive" buzzwords like "green", "diversity", blah blah blah.

Post a link? I'm not the one arguing whether these should be built or not. The F is wrong with you? I simply said that I wouldn't live like a hamster. Me. I will correct the constant chatter on this thread that it's a building full of $940 apts though. Why you need to consistently spout off about amenities this rooftop gardens that is beyond me. Get a grip man, not everybody creams their pants over that.

You in some way work in the NYC tourism industry I take it?

Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:

There is a kitchen, bathroom and multi-use room. The multi-use room fills the role of bedroom and entertainment space/living room. What's with the lame jail cell comparison here?

How are you going backwards in time by building even more efficiently? Has it ever occurred to you that maybe you own too many meaningless material items, or that you underutilize most of the space you have? This wasn't Bloomberg's idea, many people who study living trends came up with this. You know; sociologist, urban planners, architects.

The
This city attracts an international crowd. We have things other cities can only dream of. NYC is a booming world class city. We will continue to grow so long as we add jobs, innovate and continue to be an attractive place to live.

If you any of you don't like it, it's simple really. Don't move into one.
Like what an high std rate, long lines, why would other cities want to dream to have that.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
All of you guys are droning on and on about transplants moving in and screwing the city up. Meanwhile look back a generation or two and I'm willing to bet your families came here from somewhere else too. My great grandparents were immigrants. Just because Me, my parents and my grandparents were born in the city do I consider myself any more of a New Yorker than the person next to me who moved here a few years ago? Of course not. Holding grudges against entire groups of people and blaming them for our societal ills sounds kind of familiar, no?
People complain about New Yorkers bringing loud mouth NY Yankee liberal views to the south and southwest. Transplants ruin things where ever they go from an Alabamian moving to Brooklyn to a Nuyorican from the Bronx moving to Arlington Virgina taking a job at the Pentagon. Moving only improvds the mind body and soul. If I was from a place where all I saw was cornfields believe me I would rather see a concrete jungle. Im looking to trade places with somebody.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Like what an high std rate, long lines, why would other cities want to dream to have that.
No place is perfect, but do you honestly feel those cons outweigh the pros I listed? Name me another major city that doesn't have those two problems. Long lines seem petty and STD rates can be broken down by demographics, or you could always wear a condom.

Quote:
People complain about New Yorkers bringing loud mouth NY Yankee liberal views to the south and southwest. Transplants ruin things where ever they go from an Alabamian moving to Brooklyn to a Nuyorican from the Bronx moving to Arlington Virgina taking a job at the Pentagon. Moving only improvds the mind body and soul. If I was from a place where all I saw was cornfields believe me I would rather see a concrete jungle. Im looking to trade places with somebody.
I suggest you leave NYC, like the metro area completely. Try living somewhere else for 2 years. Somewhere very different. In my opinion, I feel your neighborhood is seriously skewing you view of the rest of the city in it's entirety. Not only that but you are not acknowledging the changes over time.

The grass isn't always greener.

Here's a preview of the new micro-housing exhibit at the Museum of the City of NY for those interested.

Architects Imagine Housing Alternatives for New York City - Beyond Microdwellings - Curbed NY

A lot of space saving techniques, you can do more with less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City