Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 11:28 PM

16 posts, read 83,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
No ....
Definitely not the LES, probably not in Harlem. It would need a real search, and it would not be a great place.
One of my department colleagues lives in Bay Ridge, likes it very much.
When I mean LES I mean far east near the vicinity of alphabet city or chinatown which are going to be on the F line or a few minutes away from the trains. You can find something. Granted, they are tiny. And yes, I agree a real real search -wouldn't be great place at all unfortunately.

But like others said, look into Queens too, broaden it up check out apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 06:40 AM

21 posts, read 36,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatemyplace View Post
When I mean LES I mean far east near the vicinity of alphabet city or chinatown which are going to be on the F line or a few minutes away from the trains. You can find something. Granted, they are tiny. And yes, I agree a real real search -wouldn't be great place at all unfortunately.

But like others said, look into Queens too, broaden it up check out apartments.
I appreciate all the feedback and people suggesting neighborhoods and queens and everything but queens is just out of my price range.. I would love to get an apt in Astoria Woodside Sunnyside etc but it's just out of my price range or incredibly small for the same price I could get a spacious 1br in bay ridge. If anyone knows of a bargain in those neighborhoods I'm all ears lol

Old 01-25-2013, 01:03 PM

393 posts, read 782,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyWonder99 View Post
I appreciate all the feedback and people suggesting neighborhoods and queens and everything but queens is just out of my price range.. I would love to get an apt in Astoria Woodside Sunnyside etc but it's just out of my price range or incredibly small for the same price I could get a spacious 1br in bay ridge. If anyone knows of a bargain in those neighborhoods I'm all ears lol
Keep an eye on www.whyleaveastoria.com and www.astorians.com those are local Astoria sites that have a housing classifieds section. I've seen some real deals on there and not too long ago like this:

$1250 COZY STUDIO APARTMENT FOR RENT - Why Leave Astoria?!

Studio in Astoria For Rent In Mid/Late January - Why Leave Astoria?!

Maybe it won't be as big as Bay Ridge but still better than anything you could ever find in a safe part of Manhattan, the neighborhood is great and your commute would be awesome, which does matter when you have to do it twice a day every day.

Also, stalk CL. I looked for an apartment in Astoria recently and I did see several listings come up for 1,300 (if you can manage the extra $50) although I never looked at any of them. What I did was put in my critera on CL and bookmark it, so I can pull it up quickly to check new listings. I'd do that for every neighborhood you are considering. The one thing with Astoria is that brokers have a real stronghold here and they all suck, so you might have to pay a one month fee even if you do all the work, and you have to do all the work because they refuse to do any. Don't know if it's as bad as Sunnyside.

I just looked real quick and here are a few in the area that sound ok
$1300 / 1br - Large Astoria 1BR close N Train (Queens)

$1250 / 1br - BEAUTIFUL, SUNNY, HEAT INCLUDED, NEAR N,Q TRAINS! (23 STREET, NEAR ASTORIA BLVD)

$1300 / 1br - 1 br astoria

Did you look at a decent amount of places in Astoria or Sunnyside, were they just too small?

Old 01-25-2013, 01:10 PM

393 posts, read 782,682 times
Also maybe this,

never know with CL ads, but it says 500 sq. ft. so if it's true, it can't be that bad
$1250 / 1br - 500ft² - cosy one bed.near 30 Av/21St (LIC/Astoria)

This one could be decent too and it's rent stabilized. It could be cheaper because it had a low turnover, you never know unless you call
$1250 / 1br - A COMMUTERS DREAM!!! LIVE JUST SECONDS FROM TRAIN W/ THIS 1BR APT!!!!! (42ND ST OFF QUEENS BLVD, SUNNYSIDE)

Old 01-25-2013, 02:41 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,655,549 times
Start with CL, and see what happens. Personally, I advise doing as much as possible by telephone, not email.

Is there really a business called Naked Apartments?

Old 01-25-2013, 06:44 PM

These links are great thank you so much! The 1250 sunnyside one would be absolutely perfect! My move date is looking more like April though and I'm positive that apartment will be gone by then lol...But thanks for the links to look for..If anything I can just check in with that 2000 realty group and just cough up the brokers fee if they can find me apartments like the ones they have listed for $1200/$1250

you guys are awesome thanks for all the help

Old 01-26-2013, 07:54 AM

I came across a neighborhood in the Bronx Pelham Pkway apartments seem to be around the same if not cheaper than bay ridge.. Commute seems decent taking the 2 train straight to Penn station and seems to run frequently enough around the late hours... Any one have any ideas on this neighborhood for me?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City