Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 06:53 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,881 times

Advertisements

I really like Kingsbridge. It is one of my favorite neighborhoods to visit in the Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 07:39 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
Thanks, it's so good to hear that because, to tell you the truth, it seems no one has any respect for those who aren't aggressive (sorry, bad week at work)

Old 10-21-2007, 07:35 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,603 times
Not worth it for petty theivery. Sometimes you just gotta shrug and keep on walking....though it would have been a nice touch if the cops had shown up earlier, but guess they had a few other things to attend to.

Shoplifting occurs in all social classes--even famous rich actresses do it. For some it's some sort of obsessive compulsive disorder, like a thrill crime.

Man, what could the guy have been stealing from a discount store that was so valuable anyway?

The other day my b/f was shopping at Associated on Fordham and Jerome. Some little creep tried to steal his 2 dollar umbrella from his cart. He said, hey, that's my umbrella and he said oh sorry.

He was still skulking around, and two minutes later when my b/f left the store he saw the guy lift some sunglasses from the vendor on the corner who was making a sale. I might have told the vendor, but he figured better safe than sorry.

Yep, this is quality of life stuff--"insignificant," as Hustla says, but also significant in the bigger picture.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:47 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,212 times
Quote:
Even if I see two perps killing each other on the street off duty, oh well... I'll walk right by.
Quote:
The only time I will involve myself is if someone is truely getting victimized.
Jeez, I would say homicide is a pretty serious crime with a real victim. Even if it is two mopes.

Quote:
what could the guy have been stealing from a discount store that was so valuable anyway?
Like you said, in the big picture it doesn't really matter. If they let everyone stealing the small stuff get away with it then it would become a free for all. One of the reasons consumer prices are so high is because of loss by theft.

I probably should not be surprised by the responses to this thread, but I am. It seems that we've put our tails between our legs & have accepted the petty crimes & disorder. It's really a shame.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:55 PM

1,526 posts, read 5,603,603 times
Well, there's a diff between a "cop" walking on by off-duty while a violent crime is being committed and an innocent standbyer not wanting to risk life and limb for a petty thief.

Hopefully the store had cameras, and luckily the guy was apparently unarmed.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:06 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post

Jeez, I would say homicide is a pretty serious crime with a real victim. Even if it is two mopes.

Like you said, in the big picture it doesn't really matter. If they let everyone stealing the small stuff get away with it then it would become a free for all. One of the reasons consumer prices are so high is because of loss by theft.

I probably should not be surprised by the responses to this thread, but I am. It seems that we've put our tails between our legs & have accepted the petty crimes & disorder. It's really a shame.
So sure, next time I see two skells blasting at each other on a street corner I well yell police and everything will be better...

Two things will happen. One I will get shot since it's two guns against me and they will shoot at me together.

Or two, they will take off running. Possibly shooting as they run.

Now police shooting leaves innocent girl dead on street corner, caught by stray bullet.

Guess who suffers...

All becuase two perps decide to kill each other becuase a week early one bumped into another. And I had to get involved in the natural cycle of hood self cleansing.

Of course it could also become "NYPD officer killed off duty" headline in the Times.

I'm not trying to get at you, but it's a hell of a lot easier to say you will when your not put in the position. Or you have no obligation. Who knows, maybe I will have really lost my mind and step in. Of course sitting here, I feel the way I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvira Black View Post
Well, there's a diff between a "cop" walking on by off-duty while a violent crime is being committed and an innocent standbyer not wanting to risk life and limb for a petty thief.

Hopefully the store had cameras, and luckily the guy was apparently unarmed.
Why shouldnt a normal person feel obligated? How is an off duty cop obligated to do something? Being a cop, ESPECIALLY in the NYPD in the end is only a job. We don't get paid enough and if you **** up, say bye bye. The city will not support you.

Again. Take a walk in my shoes, or the shoes of anyone about to get involved. Lets see how you feel.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:06 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,212 times
Quote:
Who knows, maybe I will have really lost my mind and step in. Of course sitting here, I feel the way I feel.
Hustla, My guess is that you probably will get involved, it's why you became a cop. I've been there & look back on some of the retarded things I've done for people I did not know & never saw again. It is what you are trained for & when sh1t hits the fan you react. It is what separates the men from the boys, so to speak. But I do understand what you are saying.... I'll save the rest for the Rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City