Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2015, 10:51 PM

344 posts, read 606,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denco45 View Post
Schedule is 6am to 2pm. No lateness is allowed. Use the bathroom before u get in the classroom. Once in the classroom at 6am, u have to wait till 7am b4 u can come out. Uniform on pressed and clean, inspection is everyday. They don't like a noisy classroom. Late more than an hour ubhave a Command discipline. If the class talk too much the whole class get half an hour meal instead of an hour. I ask for permission b4 u leave the classroom and u have to salute everybody u see on the 3rd floor. It seems a lot but i never had any problem. But if u don't like to follow directions, it will be hell for u. It also get better and easier as the time goes by. The first 2 weeks, u guys don't do much. Different insurance companies come and talk abt their product and also more paper work to fill out. The next 8 weeks is learning the code, a lot of violations codes. After the code, the re is one week for training on the machine and one week for intersection duty.. also some lecture abt some diseases. Basically u sit, take note and get paid.
That's a lot of useful information! Thanks for sharing! With the uniforms, do we have to pay out of pocket and what type of uniforms do we use? All in all it sounds fun!

Old 07-03-2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Schedule is 6am to 2pm. No lateness is allowed. Use the bathroom before u get in the classroom. Once in the classroom at 6am, u have to wait till 7am b4 u can come out. Uniform on pressed and clean, inspection is everyday. They don't like a noisy classroom. Late more than an hour ubhave a Command discipline. If the class talk too much the whole class get half an hour meal instead of an hour. I ask for permission b4 u leave the classroom and u have to salute everybody u see on the 3rd floor. It seems a lot but i never had any problem. But if u don't like to follow directions, it will be hell for u. It also get better and easier as the time goes by. The first 2 weeks, u guys don't do much. Different insurance companies come and talk abt their product and also more paper work to fill out. The next 8 weeks is learning the code, a lot of violations codes. After the code, the re is one week for training on the machine and one week for intersection duty.. also some lecture abt some diseases. Basically u sit, take note and get paid.
Can you also pick where you want to work or where they need you?

Old 07-05-2015, 09:35 AM

53 posts, read 87,969 times
Any news

Old 07-05-2015, 09:40 AM

69 posts, read 105,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyphonBeatz View Post
Can you also pick where you want to work or where they need you?
You buy the uniform yourself. Now you can apply for MCU and get a loan that you will have to pay back. 2 white shirts, 2 ties and tie clips, 2 pants, shoe, black belt, bag, name tag, ID holder, black watch, jacket. All these can cost between $250 and $350. Now after like a month and half, you will have to purchase the graduation uniforms and the least you will spend is $700. At 1pp, u will have to choose the type of insurance you want and once in the academy the union people will come and you have to sign a paper, for that one you have to. Its free, it's for your coverage (eye, dental, prescription). Also different people will come and talk about different insurance. Remember to use your discretion and see what you need and don't need.
Its fun if you don't go there and try to be famous. Do what they ask you to do. When they give you something and ask you to wear it on your head, toe, finger, just do it. Because here is the thing, you can argue but you will get in trouble and end up doing it anyway. So there is no point. Sit where they ask you to sit, do what you are supposed to do and you will have the best time ever... For me waking up at 3am go to the academy and finishing at 2pm, go to school for 4pm and finish at 8:30pm and get home around 9:30 pm and I had to eat, study go to bed around midnight and wake up again at 3am was the hardest part because sleeping in the academy is a big NO NO NO NO. So that's pretty much it.. After u read this you can know if you will be fine or if you will be in trouble. lol
Also you don't get to pick where you want to go. You get a wish list and have to put down 3 choices, but it's a wish list you might or might not get it. The only person that choose where he/she want to go is the valedictorian.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
You buy the uniform yourself. Now you can apply for MCU and get a loan that you will have to pay back. 2 white shirts, 2 ties and tie clips, 2 pants, shoe, black belt, bag, name tag, ID holder, black watch, jacket. All these can cost between $250 and $350. Now after like a month and half, you will have to purchase the graduation uniforms and the least you will spend is $700. At 1pp, u will have to choose the type of insurance you want and once in the academy the union people will come and you have to sign a paper, for that one you have to. Its free, it's for your coverage (eye, dental, prescription). Also different people will come and talk about different insurance. Remember to use your discretion and see what you need and don't need.
Its fun if you don't go there and try to be famous. Do what they ask you to do. When they give you something and ask you to wear it on your head, toe, finger, just do it. Because here is the thing, you can argue but you will get in trouble and end up doing it anyway. So there is no point. Sit where they ask you to sit, do what you are supposed to do and you will have the best time ever... For me waking up at 3am go to the academy and finishing at 2pm, go to school for 4pm and finish at 8:30pm and get home around 9:30 pm and I had to eat, study go to bed around midnight and wake up again at 3am was the hardest part because sleeping in the academy is a big NO NO NO NO. So that's pretty much it.. After u read this you can know if you will be fine or if you will be in trouble. lol
Also you don't get to pick where you want to go. You get a wish list and have to put down 3 choices, but it's a wish list you might or might not get it. The only person that choose where he/she want to go is the valedictorian.
It's not to expensive for all that equipment! I thought it would be in the thousands lol but I see what your saying about the academy. Just go in and do what you need to do and I'll be fine. I would have to sleep early to wake up at 3am and be there by 6am but it's worth it cause I want this job and be able to hold it down till PO calls me. The academy seems fun though! I wish classes would start now lol but everything sounds good so far! I could imagine what the police academy is like!

Old 07-05-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gesuye View Post
Any news
I haven't heard anything from my investigator yet but I know classes won't be in July that's only for PO. TEA classes start in September. I might call candidate relations to see what my status is but I know am done with everything. I know we have to take a mini medical before the classes start.

Old 07-05-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I also forgot to ask, are the uniforms for class the traffic uniforms? Obviously, lol! All this can be purchased at 1pp?

Old 07-05-2015, 11:39 AM

The 1st week of class, the different uniform vendors come to the academy and hand out flyers. So u can buy wherever you want to. The only uniform you wear is the white shirt, blue pant, shoe. The other uniform that cost $700 if only for graduation. If you are going to PO, then you need to follow direction and not have any Command discipline, because remember, it's the same department.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
The 1st week of class, the different uniform vendors come to the academy and hand out flyers. So u can buy wherever you want to. The only uniform you wear is the white shirt, blue pant, shoe. The other uniform that cost $700 if only for graduation. If you are going to PO, then you need to follow direction and not have any Command discipline, because remember, it's the same department.
I understand. I wouldn't want to screw up at all. Becoming a PO is what I want to do and I will take the academy seriously. Am anxious to start already lol! But before you went into the academy, how were you notified? By mail, phone call? Do you take a mini Med before it starts? I heard they can call from 2-3 days even 1 days before it starts.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:03 PM

I got notified by phone call. I was called more than a week before. But yes i can get call a day or 2 before. I did mini medical and was called a week after that.
The fun in the academy for me started after i knew people and we go for meal together. But not really funny when one person mistake can penalize the whole class. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City