Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2013, 11:39 PM

31 posts, read 60,109 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to New York City from Atlanta in the next few months. Whenever I visit NYC I stay in the city but I don't know if my budget will allow me to do so. I'm willing to pay $1800 max for a 1bd1ba. I like nice areas I work out of my home so it has to be a good neighborhood that people would be comfortable coming to. I live in Buckhead in Atlanta which is I guess about the Midtown or Tribeca in NYC. I've heard Downtown Brooklyn is a good area and is relatively close to the city since I want to live close and it be city like.

What areas should I consider that are nice? Newer buildings maybe..
Whats sites should I look on?
Should I do a broker?
What are the fees typically?

Thanks in advance! It's stressing me out lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 05:23 AM

43,754 posts, read 44,521,335 times
It is hard to get an apt. in NYC without a broker. I suggest looking into Astoria or Forest Hills in Queens.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:34 AM

82 posts, read 218,966 times
People with more knowledge than me will jump in I'm sure, but basically, $1,800 won't pay for a 1 bed anyplace near an area like Tribeca. Broker fees would be up to 15% of the yearly rent (sometimes or 12% in some cases). You will need to live in an outer borough for sure, and even the closer Brooklyn locations likely won't work. I agree with the suggestion of Queens, though it certainly won't look or feel like Tribeca.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:18 AM

364 posts, read 709,195 times
go to streeteasy. com to check out prices for the areas you want to live in. They're by far the most accurate from the various sites which I have used.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:06 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,311,449 times
Hi Amazin,

Just so you know there is nothing and I mean NOTHIN that Buckhead has in common with DT BKLYN. You seem like you would like a more patrician neighborhood like Forest Hills or Cobble Hill. These neighborhoods are clean by NYC standards, have a lot of professionals and lower crime.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:31 PM

510 posts, read 1,444,729 times
$1800 a month isn't going to get you into a one bedroom in Downtown Brooklyn or many of the surrounding neighborhoods. One bedrooms in Downtown Brooklyn are in the $2600+ range (Avalon- $2700, Brooklyn Gold- $2600, DKLB $2700, Brooklyner $3100-$3800). You could probably find a studio in a nearby neighborhood in that price range if you're willing to pay a one month Broker's fee. Otherwise you're going to be looking a little deeper into Brooklyn. Astoria/Queens might be a better choice for you.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,300 times
Smile Moving to NYC

I have a blog all about moving to nyc, where to live, how to avoid brokers fee, etc etc.

Overall your budget of $1800 will not get you much in Manhattan (below 90th Street). You may be able to find a one bedroom or studio, but it won't be anything to write home about. If luxury or something pretty is what you are looking for consider Brooklyn (Clinton Hill, Boreum Hill, Fort Greene, Cobble Hill, Park Slope) or Queens (Astoria, Long Island City, Sunnyside).

Finding an apartment without using a broker is totally doable, but is not easy. Brokers charge anywhere between 1 month-15% of your annual lease...always negotiate down to 1 month. I wrote a blog about the best sites to find a no-fee apartment- [url=http://movingtonyc101.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-best-resources-for-finding-no-fee.html]Moving to NYC 101: The best sites for finding a NO-FEE apartment in NYC[/url].

I also host seminars about moving to nyc and essentially train people on how to find apartments on their own. I'm hosting my next event February 23rd, you should deff check it out if you are moving in the near future. I also provide one-on-one consulting if that's something you are interested in! [url=http://www.meetup.com/Apartment-hunting-training/events/101794812/]NYC Rental Market 101 - Apartment hunting training-be your own broker! (New York, NY) - Meetup[/url]

Hope that helps!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City