Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 08:47 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,771,520 times

Advertisements

Well whats your budget and salary?

SOmetimes things come up that you would never expect. As i mentioned to someone in another thread recently there was a 1BR on 93 and 2ave 800sf, exposed brick and garden for $2295. Sometimes it takes a good broker, sometimes it takes timing and luck sometimes depending on how where you're searching its all 3,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 08:06 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. Kencade View Post
I understand it as a fact but I was wondering if you're saying that living in J-city is not so good or are you saying it's a good idea? Your remarks sound kind of facious.
I am neither say it is a good idea or a bad idea. I am making no judgement. Each person must determine how Jersey City relates to his needs and wants.

In fact it was a very close decision for me whether to stay on the Jersey City waterfront or move to Manhattan and I flipped and flopped a dozen times before choosing Manhattan. There were literally DOZENS of elements to consider in this decision and for me it was as brutal as anything I've done in decades, given that I knew I was making my FINAL move and the rest of my life was dependent on the choice.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:14 PM

141 posts, read 234,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I am neither say it is a good idea or a bad idea. I am making no judgement. Each person must determine how Jersey City relates to his needs and wants.

In fact it was a very close decision for me whether to stay on the Jersey City waterfront or move to Manhattan and I flipped and flopped a dozen times before choosing Manhattan. There were literally DOZENS of elements to consider in this decision and for me it was as brutal as anything I've done in decades, given that I knew I was making my FINAL move and the rest of my life was dependent on the choice.

Ahhh.......I see. Got it.

Were you happy in JC? Is it a "nice" place to live. I'll assume you have a nice standard of living being you're in your retirement years and most folks that I know, retire very comfy and like to maintain a certain standard of living.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
That's something you need to decide for yourself. You should consider any of the waterfront/near waterfront communities in Hudson County, including Jersey City Heights, Weehawken, North New York, Edgewater, North Bergen. All of which have varying degrees of access to NYC..some require a car, some have public transportation/train/light rail access.

Other than that...the most affordable places to live in NYC are typically far out places with either poor/awkward/2 zone access to public transportation with long commutes, or the Bronx. If you are looking for afforable rents, the Bronx should always be at the top of your list. Look to other Bronx threads for more info, or create one with specific questions/concerns/neighborhood info.
Most of Jersey City has gotten almost as expensive as Brooklyn or Queens -- think $2,000 for a one bedroom apartment west of the NJ Turnpike Extension....

Affordable places to live in the NYC metro area? (by affordable I mean a one bedroom apt. for between $1,000 - $1500??) not many, maybe eastern suffolk county past route 110 but then you will be paying $250+ a month for LIRR.

Really affordable and NYC are becoming a contradiction in terms. Not worth it unless you are making $100,000 a year (at a minimum for a single person) and even then you won't have enough money to hit the trendy places for drinks and stuff (think Tao Restaurant and Buddha Bar)

Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Well whats your budget and salary?

SOmetimes things come up that you would never expect. As i mentioned to someone in another thread recently there was a 1BR on 93 and 2ave 800sf, exposed brick and garden for $2295. Sometimes it takes a good broker, sometimes it takes timing and luck sometimes depending on how where you're searching its all 3,
If such an apartment actually exists at that price point, you will need to pay the broker 15% of the annual rent plus don't even bother applying unless you earn at least 40 times monthly rent and have credit score of at least 700

Old 01-31-2013, 10:45 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,771,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
If such an apartment actually exists at that price point, you will need to pay the broker 15% of the annual rent plus don't even bother applying unless you earn at least 40 times monthly rent and have credit score of at least 700
Certain agents accept 1month rent (about 8.9% of annual rent) cause they know its rough sometimes spending alot of money to find a place. Apts can be rented with even a score of 600, sometimes a brokers relationship with a management company does help. Though sometimes paying 2 months security can also be thrown into the equation.

Since you were questioning the apt, here you go:
Moderator cut: Link is to brokerage site, not generic MLS listing

Last edited by bmwguydc; 01-31-2013 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: Links to brokers are considered advertising per TOS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City