U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-31-2013, 01:11 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
31 posts, read 56,889 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hi guys! I'm moving to NYC & I want to know what are the good areas... I live in Buckhead in Atlanta which is like the "fairly expensive part" & less than 5 mins away from the city. I don't want to be in a really expensive area nor do I want to be unsafe! The highest I am willing to pay for rent is $1,800. Could I get something nice for that?? Maybe hardwood floors, or stainless steel appliances? I've been hearing Park Slope & Williamsburg. I'm a city girl so I def want to live near the city if not in the city. I love Manhattan but I don't want to do Harlem. I work out of my home so I need a place that my clients would feel comfortable coming to as well. Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by Ms_Amazin87; 01-31-2013 at 01:32 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2013, 01:43 AM
VJP
 
Location: Decatur, GA
699 posts, read 1,584,319 times
Reputation: 610
You could, with a roommate. I live in ATL but grew up in queens - my cousin rents a place in the upper east side, 2350/mo with doorman, studio. You can kiss buckhead living goodbye unless you bring the income up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 01:46 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
31 posts, read 56,889 times
Reputation: 11
Thanks for the quick response. I like living alone plus i'll be working from home so a roommate definitely won't work. There's no areas in BK or Manhattan that I can get a nice place for under $2k?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 11:36 AM
 
4 posts, read 10,581 times
Reputation: 11
Ha. If it was possible to live alone in a safe part of NY or BK for under 2k/month I would still be living there. You have to have a connection to someone who owns a rent-controlled unit or be the luckiest person on earth to come across that and when you do it certainly won't have wood floors and stainless steel appliances.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
31 posts, read 56,889 times
Reputation: 11
I'm not requiring those things but i have happen to find many places under $2k in Manhattan and BK. Really I just wanted to know the good areas in both? So I can search those areas... & what sites are good to look @?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 11:48 AM
 
510 posts, read 1,364,086 times
Reputation: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionSchoolDropOut View Post
Ha. If it was possible to live alone in a safe part of NY or BK for under 2k/month I would still be living there. You have to have a connection to someone who owns a rent-controlled unit or be the luckiest person on earth to come across that and when you do it certainly won't have wood floors and stainless steel appliances.
You've been seriously misled. You can ABSOLUTELY find a place in a safe neighborhood that has been tip to bottom renovated for under 2k a month.

Proof #1
Proof #2


OP you will need to be open to neighborhoods a little further south in Brooklyn. There are some very nice areas that are completely safe and still have a good amount of bars/restaurants etc. Plus express trains will get you into the city pretty quick. I'm more of a North Brooklyn person so I'll leave it to others to make specific neighborhood recommendations. But I will tell you I have a friend who just moved to Kensington and has a studio in a doorman building that is completely renovated for $1150 a month. And another friend who has a HUGE two bedroom in bay ridge for $1500 a month.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 12:03 PM
 
4 posts, read 10,581 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
You've been seriously misled. You can ABSOLUTELY find a place in a safe neighborhood that has been tip to bottom renovated for under 2k a month.

Proof #1
Proof #2


OP you will need to be open to neighborhoods a little further south in Brooklyn. There are some very nice areas that are completely safe and still have a good amount of bars/restaurants etc. Plus express trains will get you into the city pretty quick. I'm more of a North Brooklyn person so I'll leave it to others to make specific neighborhood recommendations. But I will tell you I have a friend who just moved to Kensington and has a studio in a doorman building that is completely renovated for $1150 a month. And another friend who has a HUGE two bedroom in bay ridge for $1500 a month.
That first link is to rent a 1 bedroom in a 3 bedroom apartment (unless they made a typo when they said Rooms: 3). But overall, I never trust the realtors who use Craigslist as many of the listings contain misleading information. My trusted realtors were unable to find any studios/1 bedrooms under 2k in areas that I deemed legitimately safe for a 23 year old female.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 12:16 PM
 
730 posts, read 2,764,208 times
Reputation: 337
That first link is for a 1 bedroom apartment. It has 3 rooms total. One bedroom, one bathroom and one kitchen.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Queens, New York City
466 posts, read 848,382 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
That first link is for a 1 bedroom apartment. It has 3 rooms total. One bedroom, one bathroom and one kitchen.
hahaha
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2013, 01:18 PM
 
917 posts, read 1,917,326 times
Reputation: 718
What about Clinton Hill

1 bedroom rental at Saint James Place, Clinton Hill, posted by Darius Barzart on 01/28/2013 | Naked Apartments

or Prospect Heights near the Brooklyn Museum or the central library?

You should be able to find what you want in that price range I think.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:24 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top