Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 AM

22 posts, read 46,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You could also check out the Ditmas Park area around the Q.
I was there the other day around the F and not impressed. Would you say it's nicer by the q?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 08:47 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohtheusual View Post
I was there the other day around the F and not impressed. Would you say it's nicer by the q?
Not really, if you weren't impressed with it around the F, then you probably won't like the area near the Q either, but I will say Ocean Parkway is probably the best part of that area. Though I will say my fiancee had the same impression of the area that you did so we didn't move that way.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pureistheword View Post
Try southern Brooklyn, further out but much nicer for the money.
In Sheepshead Bay, you have both the Q train for the city, and the B44 runs down the east side of the neighborhood (for a nice day the Bedford ave bike line goes right to campus).
Maybe Bensonhurst (N and D trains for the city) and the bay parkway bus goes to Brooklyn College as well.
No 1.5 hour commute but over an hour to Hunter however
I don't think the majority of kale is conflict free in sheepshead bay, man. I can't see that working for these two!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I don't think the majority of kale is conflict free in sheepshead bay, man. I can't see that working for these two!
Hahaahaha...we do love kale! But my grandmother is from sheepshead bay. Don't know how I feel about living in the same hood as her

I love that a freaking vegetable has become so trendy it's a punch line.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:05 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
I love how you were able to take a jab and not get worked up. That is rare with this subject on this forum. I like the cut of your jib.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:05 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,810 times
If you were around the F, that was Kensington, not Ditmas Park. What didn't you like about it? Too sleepy and residential? Ditmas Park proper, from Coney Island Ave. to Ocean Ave., has a bit more going on. If you like Greenpoint you'll probably like it, actually. You should check it out. It's really the only place in your budget that makes sense. You'll probably pay closer to $1350 than $1200 for a nice place.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:06 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,611,310 times
Maybe look into Midwood? You would be within almost walking distance of school or at least a short bus ride. The rent will fall into your range, it's a relatively safe area and no shortage of stores. It's not hip, but there are access to trains.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I love how you were able to take a jab and not get worked up. That is rare with this subject on this forum. I like the cut of your jib.
My birth certificate says Los Angeles as my city of origin, but I was raised by a very feisty woman from Queens. I inherited that thick skin most New Yorkers seem to be born with...but uh, yeah, I've noticed a lot of butt hurt nancies on other threads.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
If you were around the F, that was Kensington, not Ditmas Park. What didn't you like about it? Too sleepy and residential? Ditmas Park proper, from Coney Island Ave. to Ocean Ave., has a bit more going on. If you like Greenpoint you'll probably like it, actually. You should check it out. It's really the only place in your budget that makes sense. You'll probably pay closer to $1350 than $1200 for a nice place.
I was off 18 av in a super Hasidic area. I found it really bleak. I like trees, I don't know. We'll look at a few places over there. Some have washer dryers in the apartments, which to me, is super exciting. For both of us, being close to the city is fairly important, especially since I tend to work uptown, but also, I'm kind of like the queen of being sick and most of my doctors are uptown. Thaaaat is why bed stuy and crown heights are so appealing.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:21 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,810 times
Well, no wonder, you were in Borough Park! Ditmas Park is nothing like that. It has a surfeit of trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City