Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 06:30 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times

Advertisements

donut and coffee blue light special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 07:38 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
I didn't notice the date on this thread, this is an old thread.

NYPD4me- I think you might be searching last years threads to respond to.
lol yeah really old thread

Old 04-28-2008, 07:40 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPD4ME View Post
the worst part of the city is the south bronx it always has been and always will be.....
That's arguable.

The Central and West Bronx aren't too nice.

West, Central and East Harlem can make claims.

North east Brooklyn IMO with a doubt is the worst part of the city....I wouldn't be caught dead in Brownsville, Bed-Stuy, Bushwick and East NY.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:29 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,002,178 times
Unfortunately I agree with you...for those who believe areas like Mott Haven, or parts of the West central bronx are bad, you should check out Eastern Brooklyn...wow...it is shocking even to me..and this is 2008.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:41 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,470,730 times
I have a question. How do you get a -80 reputation points? "ve never seen that before!!

Old 04-28-2008, 10:46 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,805 times
Quote:
I walk down to the north side of the park a lot, 110 and lenox, and there is always a van or SUV or sometimes one of those vehicles you round people up and throw them in the back of, they are always there just watching. Sometimes it's more than one car, always multiple cops, or people that look like they are undercover or something. What are they doing?
It could be one of many things. Chances are that there is some type of sweep going on. Could be a fare evasion sweep in the subway or perhaps a narcotics sweep. The vans would stage at that location until they are called to the scene and pick up those arrested. There are also officers assigned to counter-terrorism patrols who run around Manhattan practicing mobilizations & emergency response. When they are rolling with the lights & sirens going they will pick a spot to park and wait further instructions.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:27 PM

757 posts, read 3,362,982 times
There are always vans at the southwest corner of the park/Columbus Circle. I think the cops are on the ready for drug dealers. They (dealers) used to conduct business openly in the '80s and '90s. Since I no longer walk a dog in the park in the evening, I've lost track of the industry there, but it probably continues, though significantly diminished.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:27 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,951 times
I saw on the news for the next two years they are going to start having anti-terrorist law enforcement in the subways. They look similar to the guys that stand down by wall street carrying really large intimidating guns. Bet that might help the subway crime. I sure wouldn't mess with one of them. Wish they would come stand on my block.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:20 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,805 times
Carbro, those vans & police vehicles are just parked there. The transit police district & the Manhattan borough office is located downstairs in the station. The feeling (that there is an impending police action or patrol) people get when they see these vehicles around is the intended effect, called "omnipresence".

BTW, you will see more "police cars" on the road as the department is now painting the auxilliary cars with the same color scheme as the regular patrol cars, instead of the midnight blue. The only difference will be the words "Auxilliary" on the rear quarter panels. I wouldn't be surprised if they followed with the Traffic Agents & School Safety vehicles going the same color.... omnipresence. It dupes the public into thinking there are more police on patrol than there really are, especially useful when there is a shortage of actual police officers. Plus, there is a financial benefit because the city saves the money on paiting the aux vehicles blue. It only has to pay for the striping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City