Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 AM

1,557 posts, read 3,304,277 times

Advertisements

Everyone stop fretting and grow a pair. Most transplants hang around for just a couple of years and then go back to where they came from. NYC weeds out the weak. It always has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 12:59 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn1234 View Post
I know we just love to diss transplants on this board. But my question is, who do you guys categorize as a transplant? Anyone who hasn't lived in NYC their whole life? Because I've seen plenty of threads where people who have been in the city 8, 9, 10 years are called out for being transplants. That's potentially 1/8 of their life! I think that qualifies them as NYers. What about someone like me? Born in NYC, raised here as a kid but spent my HS years out of the city and then moved back around 8 years ago. Does that make me a transplant since I left as a kid and moved back as a young adult? What if I did that and moved to an affordable area near my family when I returned? What if I moved back and moved in with roommates in Williamsburg? Does that make me more or less of a transplant? (I'm only using myself as a reference to show how completely crazy I think the whole concept of a transplant is).

Talk.
anyone who moves to NY because it's the in thing to do, or because they think it's a liberal (what ever their type) city.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:11 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times
I've been here 25 years but I still consider myself a "transplant"compared to the guys I work with that grew up here. They have that genuine "hey youse guys" city thing going on, and I never will.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:21 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
not from the tri-state araa, pretty simple concept

if you never grew up listening to that sh.itty nyc local news

Last edited by john_starks; 02-06-2013 at 09:40 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 05:59 PM

11 posts, read 26,245 times
Moved here in 2001 for university (DC born/MD raised), and with the exception of 04-06, have lived here every year since. I'm one of those people with a dime-a-dozen tale of NYC feeling like "home" in a way no other place ever has.

First visited in middle school, and I still remember vividly something inside me just "clicking" the moment the bus rounded the bend coming off 495, heading into the Lincoln Tunnel, and seeing the skyline for the first time; that was it for me. I had never felt that way about my actual home state, and twenty years later I still feel exactly the same.

For all the massive changes in my life since then, my love for this city has remained constant. This place still thrills, frustrates, motivates, illuminates, and challenges me. I still thrive on the energy, still catch myself smiling that I'm here, still get excited when I enter neighborhoods that I've never visited before, regardless of the borough. And I still feel utterly at home here.

That's what makes me a New Yorker. I couldn't give less of a damn what anyone else feels about me, a "transplant", calling myself that. It has never mattered to me, and it never will. This is my city, and I'm so glad to be here.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:33 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
"NY is a state of mind." Once a New Yorker, always a New Yorker. Everybody. Here's the proablem -- many of youse hot and cold mamalucas are the first to GTFO when the going gets tough. When the ****s hits the fan, let's see who "starts." If you stick around -- you ain't no convert. That's the thing.

Second thing -- if your skin is like paper, you got no business staying in New York. And one more thing -- fuhgetaboutit...

Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,806,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishyouwerehere View Post
Moved here in 2001 for university (DC born/MD raised), and with the exception of 04-06, have lived here every year since. I'm one of those people with a dime-a-dozen tale of NYC feeling like "home" in a way no other place ever has.

First visited in middle school, and I still remember vividly something inside me just "clicking" the moment the bus rounded the bend coming off 495, heading into the Lincoln Tunnel, and seeing the skyline for the first time; that was it for me. I had never felt that way about my actual home state, and twenty years later I still feel exactly the same.

For all the massive changes in my life since then, my love for this city has remained constant. This place still thrills, frustrates, motivates, illuminates, and challenges me. I still thrive on the energy, still catch myself smiling that I'm here, still get excited when I enter neighborhoods that I've never visited before, regardless of the borough. And I still feel utterly at home here.

That's what makes me a New Yorker. I couldn't give less of a damn what anyone else feels about me, a "transplant", calling myself that. It has never mattered to me, and it never will. This is my city, and I'm so glad to be here.
A New Yorker if I ever heard one... Doesn't give a crap about what others think about him and appreciates this city for what it is... Like I said before, if you have to ask, you probably aren't...

Old 02-08-2013, 08:05 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
^ i wonder if that person loves dc as much as nyc or still considers him or her self still a washingtonian. i guess you are a new yorker if you've been in ny most of your life but you should always claim where you came from.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:50 PM

11 posts, read 26,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ i wonder if that person loves dc as much as nyc or still considers him or her self still a washingtonian. i guess you are a new yorker if you've been in ny most of your life but you should always claim where you came from.
I was born in DC, and raised in MD. So technically I would be considered a Marylander, not a Washingtonian.

No, I do not love MD/DC metro area anywhere near as much as I love NYC. I no longer consider that area home. I barely considered it home, or felt any great affinity for it, even when I was growing up as a child. I never felt at "home" until I visited NYC. That is still the case today.

No, grown folks should "claim" whatever, and wherever, they so choose to. I will tell anybody where I was born and raised, but if they ask me where my home is, it's New York City.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:29 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
Good point. In my eyes, someone from Yonkers is more of a New Yorker than someone that moves in from Ohio and now lives in Manhattan (and claims to be a hardcore New Yorker lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
not from the tri-state araa, pretty simple concept

if you never grew up listening to that sh.itty nyc local news
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City