Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 AM

18,360 posts, read 31,439,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It takes away from the specifics of her case by talking about how muslim Turkey and specifically Istanbul is. Have you been to Istanbul before? Do you know any people from there? What happened to her could happen in a good deal of European countries that are predominantly Christian (someone traveling alone to a foreign country she has no ties to and who possibly has financial issues and with the intent to engage with a stranger she met over the internet? sounds like a winning formula)--this isn't being politically correct, it's just being correct in general.

I don't give a rats ass about being politically correct, I don't have to. This is an internet discussion forum and i can voice my views, and not "have to" be politically correct. The world might be a better place of we didn't have to be so damn politically correct all the time and worry about what we want to say, and just say what we feel.

Personally, I think the woman was a freaking moron to go to Turkey, a Muslim country by herself, having never been there before, and leaveing her 2 little kids home for 3 weeks, to me, this is BS.

I think the girlfriend should be questioned a little more as to the planning of the trip, then her all of a sudden realizing she cannot afford it and cancelling it. Meanwhile, technically the woman couldn't afford it either, but somehow managed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 3,275 times
I don't think her friend was ever planning to go; it sounds like a cover. Weren't the initial reports that she cancelled at the last minute, but it was later revealed that she had cancelled months ago?

Old 02-12-2013, 12:06 PM

393 posts, read 779,585 times
Quote:
It takes away from the specifics of her case by talking about how muslim Turkey and specifically Istanbul is. Have you been to Istanbul before? Do you know any people from there? What happened to her could happen in a good deal of European countries that are predominantly Christian (someone traveling alone to a foreign country she has no ties to and who possibly has financial issues and with the intent to engage with a stranger she met over the internet? sounds like a winning formula)--this isn't being politically correct, it's just being correct in general.
How does talking about where the case occured taking away from its specifics...more like adding to it. Just because someone says "predominantly Muslim" doesn't make it an insult. Doesn't matter what she did or didn't do...traveling in a predominantly Muslim eastern country for a single woman who isn't an experienced traveler is different from traveling in France. Doesn't make any country better or worse to travel to but different.

We are supposed to talk about a murder case without where it occured or talking about women as single travelers? What? People need to relax a little. Talk about sensitive.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I don't give a rats ass about being politically correct, I don't have to. This is an internet discussion forum and i can voice my views, and not "have to" be politically correct. The world might be a better place of we didn't have to be so damn politically correct all the time and worry about what we want to say, and just say what we feel.

Personally, I think the woman was a freaking moron to go to Turkey, a Muslim country by herself, having never been there before, and leaveing her 2 little kids home for 3 weeks, to me, this is BS.

I think the girlfriend should be questioned a little more as to the planning of the trip, then her all of a sudden realizing she cannot afford it and cancelling it. Meanwhile, technically the woman couldn't afford it either, but somehow managed to.
Agreed. I feel like I read somewhere that her friend actually backed out a long time before the trip and not at the last minute, but I can't remember where now. I agree that there is something shady about that as well.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 PM

36,916 posts, read 38,826,491 times
Quote:

Yea, I'm saying that I don't care about politically correct either--it's just when someone is just plain wrong about another place that I think it's worth saying something. All of that is moronic--whether it was Istanbul or not. Having to put in aside about Turkey, Istanbul or Muslims is also moronic. You can voice your views of course, and I can voice mine. Right?

Old 02-12-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Yea, I'm saying that I don't care about politically correct either--it's just when someone is just plain wrong about another place that I think it's worth saying something. All of that is moronic--whether it was Istanbul or not. Having to put in aside about Turkey, Istanbul or Muslims is also moronic. You can voice your views of course, and I can voice mine. Right?

absolutely !! that's what we are all hear for.....

Yes, I also thought the girlfriend backed out a while ago. This really is a bizzare story. I think if she wanted to make the "photography thing" a better cover, you would think she would have gotten a little camera.

Also, here's food for thought:

They need to ask the husband how long was your wife instersted in photography? Does she have a photo album, a scrap book, ?

cant wait to hear the answer on that one.....

I like photography as well, I at least have a scrapbook of my adventures and pictures. Nothing earth shattering, just bicycle trips I make in all different parts of Brooklyn.....but at least my son's can say, yeah, My dad is so lame he photographs the stupidest things......

I wonder what her husband will say of her passion for photography...

Old 02-12-2013, 01:22 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,158,210 times
Why do you(nightcrawler) keep bringing up that its a Muslim country? Your looking ignorant. Turkey is considered fairly moderate and Istanbul is considered safe for the most part.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Why do you(nightcrawler) keep bringing up that its a Muslim country? Your looking ignorant. Turkey is considered fairly moderate and Istanbul is considered safe for the most part.
because it is, and I can.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:47 PM

36,916 posts, read 38,826,491 times
Quote:
because it is, and I can.
Yep, and that's why we can keep saying that it's wayward of you to do so, because it is and we can!

Old 02-12-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Yep, and that's why we can keep saying that it's wayward of you to do so, because it is and we can!
What is with you people? Sarai was killed in Turkey, which is a predominantly muslim country. What is untrue about this? The location and culture is relevant because cultures in predominantly muslim countries have different (more conservative) views toward women. While that probably had no role in the case, it's still relevant because she was an inexperienced single female traveler. So why would that not be a part of the discussion?

Quick quote from a pretty unflattering Konda study Turks reveal xenophobic, conservative attitudes in poll | World news | The Guardian :

Nearly 70% said wives needed their husband's permission to work while 57% believed that a female should never leave home wearing a sleeveless top. More than half - 53% - favoured allowing women judges, prosecutors, teachers and other public servants to wear the Islamic headscarf on duty, something Turkey's secular constitution forbids.

I swear some people are so sensitive that if it were up to them we couldn't talk about anything unless we used ambiguous terms that can't be narrowed down to any location/sex/ethnicity whatever. Nobody insulted Muslims or Turkey, so let's move on to talking about the case which happened in TURKEY, so that's fair game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City