Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 09:44 AM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Bluedog2: Are you aware that lots of these young girls today are doing it not only in the bars' bathrooms, but also on top of the hoods of cars. I do not agree with it, and I think is outrageous, but it is happening.
Go to any Spring break city, and see for yourself.
What does that have to do with this thread? This wasn't a "young girl". It was a 33-year-old married adult woman. And again, the sex in the bar story only appeared in the New York Post, which makes it kind of questionable in the first place. As someone I work with said, the Post is great for sports--everything else is sort of like the Enquirer.

Anyway, it's not even "girls today". Back in the 80s I was living in an apartment complex and walked into the laundry room to find a teenage couple doing it on top of one of the machines!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 09:46 AM

1,729 posts, read 4,996,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
Also agree with you and nightcrawler. I'm a girl, and there is no way that I would even let my husband go alone to an unfamiliar country that can be potentially dangerous to inexperienced travelers. He is too important to me. Traveling alone is risky for both men and women, although clearly more so for women, but you could get robbed, kidnapped..who knows. If you are on a work trip with a predetermined schedule and prebooked hotels, then that's different. Get what Henna's saying though, she isn't talking about what we are talking about. Not only is she going to Turkey alone but meeting up with some strange dude she buddied up to on instagram? Come on, that's ridiculous. I say the husband knows too. I don't even know why they are insisting on this passion for photography charade. It makes NO sense!

I have a feeling that the husband is going to try to cover up lies with lies until the blocks fall down and he has no choice but to tell the truth...which probably will be that she was trafficking drugs for money.
As a woman, I am not going to judge her for her escapades via internet with that other person because, obviously she had her own reasons for it, but, women think ALWAYS with their heart, and men ALWAYS with their phallus.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Agree totally.This business of fundraising to bury the victim is also ridiculous.Isn't the husband an MTA bus driver?

So much about this story is off.

The saddest part of this whole thing is that because the whole sordid story is now so public, the kids will never have any illusions about their mother or how she died.
On Staten Island, corporations have taken over the funeral industry, and they are charging huge money to inter a person.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Istanbul is one of the biggest drug crossroads in the world.

People frequently do very stupid things for big bucks.

I read one story that said the husband was characterized as being "co operative but not helpful". Not sure what that implies.Maybe that he knew or knows something ? That the police don't believe he is being totally open about everything?
I very much doubt that she would have gone to a Muslim country to deal with drugs, it is akin to having a suicide wish.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:41 AM

208 posts, read 544,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
I very much doubt that she would have gone to a Muslim country to deal with drugs, it is akin to having a suicide wish.
The crime laws of many Muslim countries (including that of Turkey) are based on Western ones today... so drug trafficking is punished with a long prison sentence, not a death sentence. In fact, Turkey abolished capital punishment in 2004.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:45 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taha-nj View Post
The crime laws of many Muslim countries (including that of Turkey) are based on Western ones today... so drug trafficking is punished with a long prison sentence, not a death sentence. In fact, Turkey abolished capital punishment in 2004.
hmmm let's see:

jail for life......torture

dead.......dead

Eh same thing to me.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:17 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,246,530 times
Let's not forget that Turkey has been denied membership in the European Union many times and there are reasons for that. One main reason is the constant oppression of the kurdish population (12-15 million in Turkey)

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 02-09-2013 at 11:37 AM..

Old 02-09-2013, 11:43 AM

208 posts, read 544,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
Let's not forget that Turkey has been denied membership in the European Union many times and there are reasons for that. One main reason is the constant oppression of the kurdish population (12-15 million in Turkey)
Let's not forget that the same EU had no qualms about admitting Slovakia, where the Roma lead segregated lives in ghettos, whereas Turkey has had Kurdish prime ministers and chiefs of staff... I think we all know why Turkey is not part of the EU ("too big, too Muslim").

Old 02-09-2013, 12:32 PM

916 posts, read 2,245,914 times
From the NYPost article today:

Turkish media also revealed her family was aware she was cheating on her hubby.

The dead woman’s brother sent her a Facebook message referring to her husband
that said, “If you are going to cheat on him, why don’t you just get out of his life,”
Turkish newspaper Per Vatan reported. The message was sent before Sierra went missing.

I feel terrible and sadden for this beautiful married mother-of-two Sarai Sierra when I first read
the story, but I can no longer sympathize with her as more and more information coming out to
light. The only thing I still feel bad for is her young children.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:51 PM

393 posts, read 782,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by localuser View Post
Agree that the Post is really milking the story!

Some interesting points in the NY Times article:

In the absence of official updates on the investigation, Turkish news media reports have filled with suggestions that Ms. Sierra may have engaged in questionable behavior with some local residents.

One of the Turkish social media friends, identified only as Taylan K., said through a lawyer that their relationship was purely friendly and dismissed suggestions that Ms. Sierra had served as a drug courier, according to the semiofficial Anatolian News Agency. Ms. Sierra looked like an “ordinary tourist,” the lawyer, Ozkan Polat said, quoting his client.

The man she stayed with in Amsterdam, Ammer Reduron, also denied anything beyond a friendship, and said that Mr. Sierra was aware his wife would be staying in his apartment. “Taking care of her,” Mr. Reduron said, “meaning showing my city and being a good friend to her. She had a wonderful time here.”

Even before going abroad, Ms. Sierra began to engage offline with those she met on the photo-sharing site, Instagram.

A month before her trip, Ms. Sierra formed a bond with three amateur photographers in New York, meeting several weekends in unfamiliar areas of the city to shoot digital images on her Samsung phone. “She had, honestly, no fear wherever she went,” said Jay Pereira, 29, one member of the group. “Her mind was so adventurous.”

Mr. Pereira said he took her to Flushing, Queens, four days before her trip. She had never been there before, he said, but quickly took to photographing train tracks at a Long Island Rail Road stop. “She went down into the tracks, putting her phone literally on the rail,” he said. “Good thing no train came while she was down there.”
What the hell was all this about? Given that it looks like she was fond of cheating on her husband, the meeting up with random men makes sense I guess, but jeez what? Why even pretend? She meets up with random people she talked to on Instagram in NYC alone to go to remote places and take pictures with her PHONE? Then she flies to Amsterdam and stays in another strange dude's apartment alone...he was "taking care of her" on her international trip? Talk about full-on creepy. Then she does the same thing in Turkey...it's all for her art that she pursues so passionately with her PHONE camera??? Who in their right mind would meet up with complete strangers repeatedly in places where they would be the most vulnerable to potential attacks?

I have a lot of male friends that my husband knows and hangs out with..and I really can't imagine bringing up something so ridiculous like "Oh hey honey, I've been chatting to some random man on Instagram..so I'm going to go ahead and fly on over there and chill with him in his apartment for a few days. I've never met him before, but don't worry he said he'll take real good care of me." what? And I'm not an aspiring photographer, and even I have a better camera than a Samsung cell phone. I don't understand how that could possibly be taken as a serious angle.

Either she was meeting up with people to shuttle drugs and the instagram friend thing is a cover, or she was having a serious mid-life crisis earlier than expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City