Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:16 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by br1975 View Post
Transplants shouldn't move here just because they want to, they should move here because of their career or they marry someone from here or something. New York is a city of immigrants and native New Yorkers. There's no reason to be here if you're from out of the tri-state area. There's a lotta places with way higher qualities of life. New York is getting less and less New York every year. It's not like one or two people you knew from high school moved here it's like every other kid from Nowhereville, U.S.A. is moving here. Everything you love about NY is leaving to make room for you guys moving here. There's better places to be.
I agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 08:55 PM

422 posts, read 812,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Most people will get settled into daily life by the time they've followed you're advice of waiting.

Nothing cute about being married 35 yr old with kids trying to move to the city to live out a fantasy that they should have done when they were 22.

What's wrong with having to struggle when you're a dumb ass 22 yr old???
You touched upon something that I think needs to be addressed more. It is actually not chronological age that should have anything do with whether or not someone should more to New York City or anywhere it is personal/financial situations that actually play a role. After all a 22 year old could be someone married with kids already and a 35 year old might be a single with a fresh degree (likely grad school) and decent prospects, this is 2013 after all, it actually isn't that rare anymore for someone to be 35 and not tied down by anyone/anything. Sure I know a 35+ year old is more likely to be tied down by family than a 22 year old and I hope that is what everyone is getting at, if it is just stupid age conformist rhetoric than that is just plain dumb. If you can realistically and logistically move to a city why should it matter what your chronological age is especially with a city as diverse as New York City? I think really big cities should be for people of any age.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:08 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br1975 View Post
Transplants shouldn't move here just because they want to, they should move here because of their career or they marry someone from here or something. New York is a city of immigrants and native New Yorkers. There's no reason to be here if you're from out of the tri-state area. There's a lotta places with way higher qualities of life. New York is getting less and less New York every year. It's not like one or two people you knew from high school moved here it's like every other kid from Nowhereville, U.S.A. is moving here. Everything you love about NY is leaving to make room for you guys moving here. There's better places to be.
This is total BS. Millions of immigrants come to NYC from other countries, many illegally, yet you think Americans from other states should not? How about the millions of NYers living in other states? Should they have not left NYC?

Old 05-17-2013, 09:09 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Nonsense.

This was true in the 80's and 90's but no longer holds true today.

On average, NYC is no longer the city where one can come and work from the bottom up. That used to be the case across a wide array of industries in this city ( Finance, Journalism, Manufacturing, etc) but the best way to make it in NYC nowadays, is to already have made it someplace else.

The vast majority of unskilled or poor/no experience college grads who arrive in NYC wash out. I've seen it myself. The same story over and over. Many jobs at the lower levels are simply dead end nowadays. Companies aren't looking to promote. The key to make it higher is too start in the middle.

At my own place of employment, we've had 4 of these folks come and go in a span of 3 years. They were cool people but they realized that trying to make it in NYC from the bottom was a poor proposition. The drawbacks outweigh the rewards.

There are fewer and fewer positions where one can work his way up. You need to come in already skilled/educated. That's simply the economy nowadays and this is amplified even more in NYC.

I have countless stories of older folks who work for major corps in NYC who started in the mail room (not a joke; this used to happen regularly) or as lowly assistants and made it into good positions. Among the younger set, I literally know of only 1 person who has the same story. One. This is purely anecdotal but I believe it's indicative of a larger trend.
Since I wrote this post nearly 4 months ago, 2 more transplants at my company have resigned and moved out of the state.

The same story over and over again. They were great employees as well. They just couldn't find decent paying jobs.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:11 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Yawn!!! Leave the city alone. Worry about your own ****, which has very little to do with it. Enough already!!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
This is total BS. Millions of immigrants come to NYC from other countries, many illegally, yet you think Americans from other states should not? How about the millions of NYers living in other states? Should they have not left NYC?
Immigrants and transplants are completely different species.
The transplant has much better alternatives than the immigrant.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Yawn!!! Leave the city alone. Worry about your own ****, which has very little to do with it. Enough already!!
Actual NY'ers discuss both the good and the bad of NYC.

Transplants are like fundamentalists. Do transplants really think that by going balls deep defending NYC, they're showing that they're real NY'ers? All that shows is ignorance and naivete regarding life in NYC.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:56 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Since I wrote this post nearly 4 months ago, 2 more transplants at my company have resigned and moved out of the state.

The same story over and over again. They were great employees as well. They just couldn't find decent paying jobs.
That old post you wrote was very accurate, but I don't think this kind of situation is just limited to NYC. I think all over the US, it's becoming more difficult for the young generation to work from the bottom up. Those kinds of stories just aren't as relevant as they used to be. You really gotta know people now.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:42 AM

48 posts, read 145,435 times
I don't know on what "experience" most of these doubters here talk, because I can tell you the following:

came here from europe in 2010, i was 18 at that time (only highschool graduate). found a decent job within 3 months. upgrading jobs soon, making double what i've made before and all that while still going full time to college. so now im 21, life is going well, have a steady job, steady income, very cheap rent, big room and the best part: having a lot of fun on the weekends

IMO it was the best move i've ever made.

basically: if you want to move here and have a couple of months to support yourself, go for it

Old 05-18-2013, 10:06 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selfmade92 View Post
came here from europe in 2010, i was 18 ... best move i've ever made.
See, it's OK for you, because you're an immigrant!
The naysayers here are mostly down on their fellow Americans coming here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City