Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 10:44 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Then again, there are people who move here and get jobs in restaurants, bars, or whatever. From there, you can see what opportunities come your way.

People don't always get good jobs because they have master career plans. Sometimes you're in the right place at the right time. Sometimes you get to befriend the right people.
It’s very easy to get trapped in those jobs.

I’m talking about the people who aspire to elite, Creative Class jobs: journalism, publishing, film, fashion, advertising, marketing, public relations, technology, etc. Entry-level jobs are almost not existent without internships. It’s actually easier to break into those careers outside of New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 04:39 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post

I’m talking about the people who aspire to elite, Creative Class jobs: journalism, publishing, film, fashion, advertising, marketing, public relations, technology, etc. Entry-level jobs are almost not existent without internships. It’s actually easier to break into those careers outside of New York.
Maybe easier for the less ambitious and the less competitive. Definitely easier for the less talented.

Artists move here because they have the confidence in their creative skill to land one of the opportunities here. I say this as one of the "creative class" who arrived here. All of my employment has been in my field. I struggled against the competition longer than my old classmates who are living in other parts of the country. I didn't take any retail or restaurant jobs, but internships in my field. I was envious of their job hunting ease for a long time. But now I'm one of the only ones working at a "household name" studio, the sort of which we all dreamed of in school while our professors rolled their eyes. The others who have jobs like me are living in London and Hong Kong.

I'd encourage creative people to keep coming here, few as they may be.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellow51 View Post
So if I had kids and it wasn't financially prudent to take them to DisneryWorld until they were 15, I should wait till then? If everything in life is calculated - you are going to miss out on a lot. I'm sure that Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg don't regret thinking they had the world on a string when they left school.
Granted but the vast majority of people aren't Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg. Sure if you have that kind of business idea you should definitely take a risk but that's not really the topic at hand. We are talking more about people who are trying to start their professional careers here.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:44 AM

681 posts, read 1,672,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellow51 View Post
Is this a joke? When I first moved here I couldn't believe the amount of native New Yorkers in their late 20's that were making over $100k a year and living with their parents. I am usually told it is so they could save money for a down payment on a house. Mind you the last 3 I knew drove a Lexus, BMW and Range Rover. What industry do you work in where you think that transplants call on their parents for everything (related to money)? When people are willing to relocate across the country for work, it usually says something about their character.

No, its not a joke. Its something I see on a regular basis. I work in the financial industry and we cater to high net worth people. I bring up this example of some specific cases I have seen.

In the example that you have broguht up, more power to the 20+ year old people you knew with 100K+ salaries who have had the luxury of living at home so that they could save up money for a downpayment on a house. I for one don't have that luxury anymore, and I'm not hating on them at all as if they have the means to enjoy those luxuries then so be it, and I am happy that they get to drive BMW's Lexus's and Range Rover's while I am fine with taking the subway.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Honestly, haven't we all taken money from our parents at some point in our lives?

And even as an older person, if you lose your job, you will be going to someone for money, the unemployment office!

You have valid points, and will hear no argument from me.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 AM

157 posts, read 347,542 times
I'm a born and raised New Yorker (23 years old now). The only time I spent away from New York was to go to college. I came back, landed a great job at a large media firm and I'm doing just fine. I had a few friends from a very rural part of Maine who went to college with me. They've all moved down to New York and have landed very, very good jobs. Don't for a second say this is a city you can't come to at a young age and land a good job; that's just plain wrong. I never would have landed a media job like this elsewhere.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS5689 View Post
I'm a born and raised New Yorker (23 years old now). The only time I spent away from New York was to go to college. I came back, landed a great job at a large media firm and I'm doing just fine. I had a few friends from a very rural part of Maine who went to college with me. They've all moved down to New York and have landed very, very good jobs. Don't dare say this isn't a city you can't come to at a young age and land a good job; that's just plain wrong. I never would have landed a media job like this elsewhere.

You and your friends are the fortunate and lucky ones. Congrats

Old 02-12-2013, 09:55 AM

157 posts, read 347,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
You and your friends are the fortunate and lucky ones. Congrats
Perhaps it's because of where I was educated (Westchester public schools, I won't dare say which one for fear of starting a tiff) but everyone I went to high school with is doing exceptionally well now. Maybe we're the lucky ones, but I'd prefer to say we're the ones who worked hard in college, landed great internships and busted our butts to get the jobs we have.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:19 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:

Its not easier to break into film outside of NY. The main film industry is in Los Angeles, and outside of that, most of the rest is in NY. The agencies are all Los Angeles or New York. As are most of the production companies.

Publishing? New York is the center of that, ditto for PR and marketing.

If you want to work in those fields, either come to NYC in college and do summer jobs at these firms. Or come to NYC after you graduate from college.

Use whatever resources you have to get by, whether parental or otherwise.

Which is why there's a saying, if you can make it here (NYC) you can make it anywhere. You'll never know until you try. And if you screw up, so what, there's often a lot to learn from failures and mistakes, these can be important to our futures.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:21 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
And you won't get trapped in those jobs if you are seriously pursuing something outside of them. I worked in the dining halls at Cornell while I was a student, and I have done restaurant work. Did catering too. I did not get trapped in food service. There's no such thing, you can leave a job whenever you please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City