Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 02:03 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDGraeme View Post
Gun Owners Refuse to Register Under New York Law

After Democrats in New York rammed a sweeping assault on the right to keep and bear arms through the legislature that failed to exempt police officers from the draconian restrictions, gun owners and even some lawmakers are planning what has been dubbed potentially the largest act of civil disobedience in state history. According to news reports, gun rights activists are urging everyone to defy far-left Governor Andrew Cuomo’s new registration mandate while daring authorities to “come and take it.”
Gun Owners Refuse to Register Under New York Law by Alex Newman

New Yorkers plan massive civil disobedience over gun laws

This is the most promising news I've read in a while. When the law gets oppressive, defy it. If just one person on a jury votes not to convict, they can't convict you on it. And I'm tired of hearing this BS that we're a society with the "rule of law." The Fugitive Slave Act and many laws against minorities were also once the law. Pres. Andrew Jackson simply defied a supreme court ruling, broke a treaty, and confiscated Indian land in Georgia, driving the Indians out to die on the "Trail of Tears."

"Assault-rifle owners statewide are organizing a mass boycott of Gov. Cuomo’s new law mandating they register their weapons, daring officials to “come and take it away,” The Post has learned.

Gun-range owners and gun-rights advocates are encouraging hundreds of thousands of owners to defy the law, saying it’d be the largest act of civil disobedience in state history.

“I’ve heard from hundreds of people that they’re prepared to defy the law, and that number will be magnified by the thousands, by the tens of thousands, when the registration deadline comes,’’ said Brian Olesen, president of the American Shooters Supply, one of the largest gun dealers in the state.

FIGHTIN’ WORDS: Self-declared gun nut John Noto protests in Albany over the weekend, as many gun lovers planned to defy a new law to register weapons. Officials estimate at least 1 million semiautomatic rifles are owned in the state, sources said.

And come April 15, 2014 — when Cuomo is expected to be running for re-election — they all have to be registered with the State Police.

But because the rifles have been legal but unregistered until now, authorities don’t know who has them or where they are located.

State officials will be nervously watching the registration figures to see how many gun owners comply, sources said.

“I believe you will have people stepping forward, saying, ‘Here I am. See? I have what you call an assault rifle. Now come and take it away,’ ’’ said a gun-rights activist and boycott organizer.

That’s exactly what state officials are worried about.

“Many of these assault-rifle owners aren’t going to register; we realize that,’’ said a Cuomo-administration source who added that officials expect “widespread violations’’ of the new law. Owners who refuse to register could face a class-A misdemeanor — punishable by up to a year in prison. "
Inside Albany: Gun owners plan boycott of Cuomo laws - NYPOST.com
Can't wait to see the pictures.Please remember to come back and post photos of the massive civil disobedience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 02:07 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I aint gonna register me my rusty tow truck or get it licensed no how neither. Dang liberals all up in my business.

Now I gotta get going and hang another thirty "no trespassin" signs on mer land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
I'm sorry but no one needs to use assault rifles. You can overcompensate for your shortcomings with other things like hummers

ohh you guys crack me up.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:11 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Typical liberal backswill about so called "shortcomings". Most of you Pidgeon Coop denizens have never been succesful enough to either land anything better than a hand me down "female mattress" of the OWS movement and, certainly, don't have enough spare change to afford participate in the shooting sports.

I would like to make heroin totally legal. I might even sell it to the dregs of society that would want to use it.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:13 PM

681 posts, read 1,672,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
Many would have the same reaction to heroin, so let's go ahead and make that legal too. A few bad apples shouldn't spoil it for the rest of us right?

I'm sorry but no one needs to use assault rifles. You can overcompensate for your shortcomings with other things like hummers

Who are you to tell someone they don't need an assault rifle or any type of rifle or firearm for that matter?

How do you know gun owners are trying to overcompensate for their shortcomings?

Typical "I know whats best for everyone" response. Thanks for the laugh!

Old 02-12-2013, 02:18 PM

912 posts, read 1,132,268 times
Now rifles have to be registered?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? How outrageous. The country is doomed and the rapture surely must be near. Damn Liberals.

LOL. I'm taking great pleasure in watching all the crybabies scream and shout. I just hope I don't end up eating my words when the tyrannical government starts enslaving all its citizens in a few years and I have nothing left to defend myself with (not that a rifle will be of much help against the weapons the US military has, but still, its the thought that counts.) I'm not holding my breath, though.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I hope they put all these people in jail and the judge throws the book at them.

And hopefully after they get out of jail, they chose to move to another state.

one can only hope...
Yes, I hope all these people get thrown into jail also. Lets do the math, assuming there are one million assault rifles out there, one million owners....$30,700/year in 2007 dollars to house an inmate X 1 million new inmates= $30,700,000,000.00 --I think NY will be bankrupt in no time.

People have been law abiding citizens all these years have all of a sudden become criminals by 4/14/15 or whenever that date is where registration is required. With everone locked up and put away for a year or two lets look at the lost production, loss of income for the families these people have to support. Its not going to be a pretty picture.

But I have the perfect solution to funding that, lets raise TAXES!!!

Old 02-12-2013, 02:19 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
They have every right to tell us what to do. After all they are sophisticated intellectuals from NYC.
Dont you know they know everything.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:20 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
No big deal, rifles have had to be registered in nyc for decades. it is a way of life new yorkers are already used to.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Can't wait to see the pictures.Please remember to come back and post photos of the massive civil disobedience.
I dont envision this massive civil disobedience being so dramatic as you so hope as it would be foolish. People will just simply stay home and not register their weapons.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:25 PM

912 posts, read 1,132,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
They have every right to tell us what to do. After all they are sophisticated intellectuals from NYC.
Dont you know they know everything.
I think the fact that NYC contributes more in taxes then it gets back and helps support the rest of the state gives it the right to dictate some of the laws in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City