Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 06:12 PM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

Interesting. You would think they would cherish the states business. Good for them, let them not service such a moronic state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 06:27 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianuser View Post
Great Britan's murder/crime rate is only a fraction of USA's one: how many gun massacres have happened in UK, Australia and Japan? Tell us.

P.S. Your post is an EPIC FAIL!
The UK, Australia and Japan all have a true culture. The USA does not have a true culture. It's a melting pot. Also, the USA is bigger than those 3 countries. It's a culture that was founded on violence.

Guns are inanimate objects. It will always need a human being to make it function. Also, a Human will find a way to kill another human.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:35 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
In our family we've been on the wrong end of guns. My grandfather French Jew escaped occupation. Yet his brother in Cologne and his cousins turned in their guns. They never made it out of Germany.

In the mid-eighties, I did almost 2 years of high school in Bucharest. At the time, Romania was a communist poster-child country (dad worked there for Chevron). Two of my closest friends, were later murdered during their revolution against Ceausescu in 1989. They overthrew communism. They were not even 21-year old. They were unarmed and got shot in their University square by a Govt force.

Later my family sponsored their families to emigrate to US. They own guns now. Go tell them that it's safe for the Govt to disarm its citizens.

Many people say it's paranoia -- I find it ironic that people who never got bitten in the ass themselves, lecture people who lost their brother or their son, about how harmless a fully-armed Govt is against a disarmed populace.

We have the largest and strongest police state in the history of the humanity. About 3 million strong.This police state is there for one reason only -- to maintain order and punish any deviation, severely. It's a ruthless, dominant, efficient, no-nonsense, ever-present behemoth/system. It's no joke, yet we go about our daily lives not really cognizant of this awesome force around us.

Yet, its checked by two other forces -- US military and 2nd Amendment. Guess which ones are we going after right now? Yet people go about their daily lives and really see "gutting the military" (Panetta's words) and "gun control" as two separate, seemingly unrelated issues. Nothing is unrelated.

And yes, we are bankrupt as a country, and we are bankrupt as people. Higher taxes are coming. Trouble is brewing. Why wouldn't it happen to us?

Old 02-14-2013, 09:40 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
Many would have the same reaction to heroin, so let's go ahead and make that legal too. A few bad apples shouldn't spoil it for the rest of us right?

I'm sorry but no one needs to use assault rifles. You can overcompensate for your shortcomings with other things like hummers
An idiot with an assault weapon is just as dangerous as an idiot with a definition of an assault weapon that is completely incorrect.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:15 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,917 times
I will concede the fact that guns can be useful if you live off the land or for self-defense (but you still need proper training and enforced regulations.) However, I can't help but laugh at all the gun-nuts who honestly think their assault weapons would have a chance in hell against the full might of the US military when the government decides to "enslave" us. The government paranoia is hilarious.

In this day and age, freedom of speech, freedom of information, and the right to privacy are more important to the protection of our "freedom" than the right to bear arms. If you gun nuts were actually so concerned about your freedom, why didn't you guys march to capital hill with your weapons to protest the Patriot Act? Why didn't you hold gun rallies protesting SOPA? Etc., Etc.. You guys don't really care about protecting freedom, you just don't want anyone regulating your toys for the benefit of society.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:55 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
I'm cool being labeled a gun nut, it doesn't get a rise out me. On the contrary, I'm becoming quite proud of the label lately.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:23 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,594,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
The UK, Australia and Japan all have a true culture. The USA does not have a true culture. It's a melting pot. Also, the USA is bigger than those 3 countries. It's a culture that was founded on violence.
I guess you don't know Europe and Japan's history of violence
Also, please explain me how the bigger size of USA justifies its higher murder rate, 'cause I don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Guns are inanimate objects. It will always need a human being to make it function. Also, a Human will find a way to kill another human.
If only I got one dollar everytime I read such garbage I would have become multimillionaire
Ask a soldier if a gun doesn't make a difference: if guns weren't different from knives or hammers, why arming soldiers with guns?
Guns are 1000000000 times more efficient to kill.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
In our family we've been on the wrong end of guns. My grandfather French Jew escaped occupation. Yet his brother in Cologne and his cousins turned in their guns. They never made it out of Germany.

In the mid-eighties, I did almost 2 years of high school in Bucharest. At the time, Romania was a communist poster-child country (dad worked there for Chevron). Two of my closest friends, were later murdered during their revolution against Ceausescu in 1989. They overthrew communism. They were not even 21-year old. They were unarmed and got shot in their University square by a Govt force.

Later my family sponsored their families to emigrate to US. They own guns now. Go tell them that it's safe for the Govt to disarm its citizens.

Many people say it's paranoia -- I find it ironic that people who never got bitten in the ass themselves, lecture people who lost their brother or their son, about how harmless a fully-armed Govt is against a disarmed populace.

We have the largest and strongest police state in the history of the humanity. About 3 million strong.This police state is there for one reason only -- to maintain order and punish any deviation, severely. It's a ruthless, dominant, efficient, no-nonsense, ever-present behemoth/system. It's no joke, yet we go about our daily lives not really cognizant of this awesome force around us.

Yet, its checked by two other forces -- US military and 2nd Amendment. Guess which ones are we going after right now? Yet people go about their daily lives and really see "gutting the military" (Panetta's words) and "gun control" as two separate, seemingly unrelated issues. Nothing is unrelated.

And yes, we are bankrupt as a country, and we are bankrupt as people. Higher taxes are coming. Trouble is brewing. Why wouldn't it happen to us?
Yes.
It's paranoia.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
The government paranoia is hilarious
Yes.

Quote:
In this day and age, freedom of speech, freedom of information, and the right to privacy are more important to the protection of our "freedom" than the right to bear arms. If you gun nuts were actually so concerned about your freedom, why didn't you guys march to capital hill with your weapons to protest the Patriot Act? Why didn't you hold gun rallies protesting SOPA? Etc., Etc.. You guys don't really care about protecting freedom, you just don't want anyone regulating your toys for the benefit of society.
I couldn't agree more.
The most armed states have also the dubious distinction of being the most backward ones: they protect gun nuts' rights, while ignoring other (more important) rights.
An armed society is a polite society? Oh yeah, have a look at Mississippi, Florida, Missouri, Alabama and South Carolina

Old 02-15-2013, 05:12 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,987 times
Quote:
I will concede the fact that guns can be useful if you live off the land or for self-defense (but you still need proper training and enforced regulations.) However, I can't help but laugh at all the gun-nuts who honestly think their assault weapons would have a chance in hell against the full might of the US military when the government decides to "enslave" us. The government paranoia is hilarious.

I couldn't rep you again but I agree with this wholeheartedly. There's an unhealthy obsession with guns in this country. As a consequence we have the highest rate of gun-related deaths in the developed world and 2 or 3 mass shootings a year are becoming common news stories.
Gun nuts don't care about freedom, you are right about that, they're just afraid of losing their toys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City