U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 12:21 PM

147 posts, read 375,593 times

Advertisements

Gun Owners Refuse to Register Under New York Law

After Democrats in New York rammed a sweeping assault on the right to keep and bear arms through the legislature that failed to exempt police officers from the draconian restrictions, gun owners and even some lawmakers are planning what has been dubbed potentially the largest act of civil disobedience in state history. According to news reports, gun rights activists are urging everyone to defy far-left Governor Andrew Cuomo’s new registration mandate while daring authorities to “come and take it.”
Gun Owners Refuse to Register Under New York Law by Alex Newman

New Yorkers plan massive civil disobedience over gun laws

This is the most promising news I've read in a while. When the law gets oppressive, defy it. If just one person on a jury votes not to convict, they can't convict you on it. And I'm tired of hearing this BS that we're a society with the "rule of law." The Fugitive Slave Act and many laws against minorities were also once the law. Pres. Andrew Jackson simply defied a supreme court ruling, broke a treaty, and confiscated Indian land in Georgia, driving the Indians out to die on the "Trail of Tears."

"Assault-rifle owners statewide are organizing a mass boycott of Gov. Cuomo’s new law mandating they register their weapons, daring officials to “come and take it away,” The Post has learned.

Gun-range owners and gun-rights advocates are encouraging hundreds of thousands of owners to defy the law, saying it’d be the largest act of civil disobedience in state history.

“I’ve heard from hundreds of people that they’re prepared to defy the law, and that number will be magnified by the thousands, by the tens of thousands, when the registration deadline comes,’’ said Brian Olesen, president of the American Shooters Supply, one of the largest gun dealers in the state.

FIGHTIN’ WORDS: Self-declared gun nut John Noto protests in Albany over the weekend, as many gun lovers planned to defy a new law to register weapons. Officials estimate at least 1 million semiautomatic rifles are owned in the state, sources said.

And come April 15, 2014 — when Cuomo is expected to be running for re-election — they all have to be registered with the State Police.

But because the rifles have been legal but unregistered until now, authorities don’t know who has them or where they are located.

State officials will be nervously watching the registration figures to see how many gun owners comply, sources said.

“I believe you will have people stepping forward, saying, ‘Here I am. See? I have what you call an assault rifle. Now come and take it away,’ ’’ said a gun-rights activist and boycott organizer.

That’s exactly what state officials are worried about.

“Many of these assault-rifle owners aren’t going to register; we realize that,’’ said a Cuomo-administration source who added that officials expect “widespread violations’’ of the new law. Owners who refuse to register could face a class-A misdemeanor — punishable by up to a year in prison. "
Inside Albany: Gun owners plan boycott of Cuomo laws - NYPOST.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 12:30 PM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,746,552 times
"far-left Governor Andrew Cuomo’s"

Ha - far left!

good one.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:44 PM

9,519 posts, read 13,511,774 times
I respect the people of New York and their common sense, which will prevail over rabblerousers like the OP.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:19 PM

681 posts, read 1,572,635 times
I'm glad the thousands of gun owners across NYS are going to defy registering their weapons. It's going to be the biggest failure in NYS history being that they are not properly staffed to handle the registration of millions of the so called assault rifles all at once.

On the other hand look at how long it takes NYC or Nassau county to process pistol permits? What is it 6-18 months? If they can't even process gun permit applications within 6 months according to state law, there is no way they can handle the flood of people coming in the doors to register their rifles even if everyone were to comply.

If I had my choice I would not register my rifles. Look what happened in 1991 when Dinkins signed the NYC assault weapons ban? Even though the city council at the time wasnt too interested in passing it (from what I was told by a NYC legal and registered assault rifle owner at the time, but Dinkins somehow signed the ban) Everyone had to get rid of theirs since the nypd knew who had them....remember, registration is the one step before confiscation, and the more rights and freedoms you surrender to the government, chances are you are never getting them back.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:21 PM

681 posts, read 1,572,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I respect the people of New York and their common sense, which will prevail over rabblerousers like the OP.
I beg to differ, but we can agree to disagree....thanks for the good chuckle though I needed it

Old 02-12-2013, 01:34 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,642,593 times
I hope they put all these people in jail and the judge throws the book at them.

And hopefully after they get out of jail, they chose to move to another state.

one can only hope...

Old 02-12-2013, 01:43 PM

3,445 posts, read 5,704,929 times
I never had any intention of obeying that law.

It will be overturned.

Screaming libs like ^^^^ will be crying in their tofu.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:49 PM

3,445 posts, read 5,704,929 times
I would like LIKEMINAS to join us at Calverton range one weekend. We will let you shoot an evil assualt rifle.

Then you will have the zombie look characteristic of NYC inhabitants who finally do something other than try to find the perfect latte. They fired an evil weapon...and...and...

THEY ENJOYED IT.

Then they secretly fantasize about joining Obama in skeet shooting.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:52 PM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,746,552 times
I aint gonna register me my rusty tow truck or get it licensed no how neither. Dang liberals all up in my business.

Now I gotta get going and hang another thirty "no trespassin" signs on mer land.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:00 PM

393 posts, read 743,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
I would like LIKEMINAS to join us at Calverton range one weekend. We will let you shoot an evil assualt rifle.

Then you will have the zombie look characteristic of NYC inhabitants who finally do something other than try to find the perfect latte. They fired an evil weapon...and...and...

THEY ENJOYED IT.

Then they secretly fantasize about joining Obama in skeet shooting.
Many would have the same reaction to heroin, so let's go ahead and make that legal too. A few bad apples shouldn't spoil it for the rest of us right?

I'm sorry but no one needs to use assault rifles. You can overcompensate for your shortcomings with other things like hummers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City