Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:45 PM

31 posts, read 70,645 times

Advertisements

We are relocating mid March and I started looking for a furnished 1 bedroom apartment to stay in for the first month. The issue is that I am finding it next to impossible finding a place in Manhattan or Queens.

Craigslist has at least 95% listings that either don't exist or are scams. I have tried so many different websites like sublet, homeaway, vrbo, airbnb and either I don't get a response, its booked during the period or its a 4 story walk-up. I am not keen on a walk-up as we have 2 kids who are 3 years and 7 months so it would be very difficult trying to manage them and a stroller while climbing 4 flights of a very narrow walk up building.

Is a budget of $3500 including fees and any other costs too little for a basic furnished 1 bedroom with a decent kitchen where I can prepare meals for the kids? Honestly I don't know what to do anymore.

Does anybody here know if there is some other way I can get something which is not a scam requiring 50% upfront via Western Union? Or any tips on how to go about with this crazy apartment search.

Note I am not in the country so I have to go by photo's and trust what the person is saying about the apartment and area etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 09:38 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,318,997 times
Try corporate housing. They're apartments rented as hotels. Any other apartment rental for that time period is probably illegal (they've changed the law). I know people who've done it off of CraigsList but it's risky.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 AM

43,914 posts, read 44,687,389 times
You might try looking at the Village Voice. But I agree with tpk-nyc that corporate housing is your best bet.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:34 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,483,775 times
As another poster wrote, check hotels for corporate or "extended stay". These places are probably not located in the best areas, but in the outer boroughs to keep prices low.
Another option is to join a rented apartment as roommate for limited time. You will pay the person that holds the lease.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:12 PM

7 posts, read 15,189 times
google novo stay new york. maybe they have something in that price range and time.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:17 PM

15,650 posts, read 15,789,569 times
It's problematic, because most furnished rentals are sublets, and most people don't want to go to the bother of renting out their place for only a month. Also, for many people, the idea of children isn't appealing.

Whatever you do, though, don't take something sight unseen. Personally I think most of Craigslist ads are legitimate, but you have no way of knowing long-distance. And it's not just the scam problem - you'll also want to see if the neighborhood feels safe, if the apartment is reasonably clean, etc. I think you'd do better to plan on staying in a hotel for a few days, and contact potential renters a few days before you come, then check them out in person.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:37 PM

393 posts, read 785,334 times
You can try an apartment style hotel worst comes to worst, but it will come out to more than 3500 if you have to stay for a month. Is there a reason why you have to stay for a whole month? It's possible to find a place much faster than that. Another option is to take a hotel for a couple of days and then look for a relatively short-term sublet in a decent neighborhood. If you keep your budget at 3,500 for a 1 bedroom, you can definitely find a sublet in a good area.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:36 PM

25,432 posts, read 37,247,200 times
Try the Marmara Hotel.
It's a rather luxurious furnished apartment hotel at the corner of 94th St and Second Ave. Perhaps their rates are favorable becasue of the mess of subway construction outside. But it's a high rise and being INSIDE would not be a problem.

Here's the website:
Apartment Hotel New York | The Marmara Manhattan
Peruse the website with floorplans and lists of amenities and if you like what you see in the large 1-bedroom units 600-800 square feet give them a call and inquire about rates. They very specifically have units available for a 1 month stay.
I checked prices last year but forgot what they were but $3500 might do the trick.

Don't be afraid to haggle.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:19 AM

31 posts, read 70,645 times
Thanks for the all responses. I actually mentioned to DH that we should rather book a hotel for the first few days while looking for a furnished place so that we can see apartments in person. I've used hotwire before and managed to save some money that way.

The reason why we want it for a month is because we are still unsure if we want to stay within NY or any of the boroughs. I don't find it child friendly and its difficult to get around with kids and strollers (reading the stroller thread with horror and amusement - I was pregnant and had a stroller last year using the subway system and I am sure many felt what the comments say). NJ is an option but its just so big and we don't know where to start. We would also need a car if we moved to that state and have to still get our driving licenses which will take time as well.

Another issue is that he will be job hunting during that time as well so don't even know where he will be based and would only be able to shortlist areas once he is successful with something.

Noted and thanks for the help.

ps. Checked Marmara - its $6,250 + taxes which is definitely way over our budget.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:35 AM

157 posts, read 348,480 times
Look on www.Airbnb.com. Many of the listers allow longer term rentals like you're looking for. I've used Airbnb and it's a great service!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: