U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-24-2013, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 18,264,255 times
Reputation: 8890

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garonick View Post
They need to not start taking drugs which can best be achieved by long prison sentences both for sellers and for chronic users.
Well, it's nice that you have your act together. Not everyone does. Most of us, though we don't want to admit it, have been through periods in life that if the wrong person were there and the opportunity, we might have fallen for some chemical alleviation of our misery, too.

I am not so smug that I cannot see the weaknesses in my own life and I'm grateful that things have turned out as they have. I also wish to assist others who have made bad choices but can be helped.

For those who want to overcome addiction, I am told, it takes at least three tries through an addiction center.

Not everyone who tries drugs does get addicted. We are chemically somewhat different when it comes to addiction. Look at alcohol, some are addicted at their first drink. Others drink all their lives and never have a problem.

I do think, however, that the biggest problem is not the addict - and I agree with you that it is a choice, just like alcohol. My problem is the corruption of public officials which is so prevalent. We see what the corruption of drug money has done to governments and police south of the border and we are following the same pattern here. It has to stop. Legalization, the control of production and distribution, will prevent this corruption.

People who object to legalization either do not know how pervasive the corruption is or are receiving remuneration of some kind by leaving drugs illegal. Remember that powerful families made money from alcohol during prohibition. Don't fool yourself that the same thing is not happening now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-25-2013, 12:47 PM
 
30,339 posts, read 43,393,303 times
Reputation: 12865
Quote:
Originally Posted by garonick View Post
And you or one of your loved ones were the ones to get in an automobile accident because the reaction time of the driver who was smoking marijuana was slowed?
No but tell me how is that any different from catching a DWI which is legal with alcohol
__________________
"The man who sleeps on the floor, can never fall out of bed." -Martin Lawrence

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 02-25-2013 at 01:00 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 02:37 AM
 
650 posts, read 669,950 times
Reputation: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Well, it's nice that you have your act together. Not everyone does. Most of us, though we don't want to admit it, have been through periods in life that if the wrong person were there and the opportunity, we might have fallen for some chemical alleviation of our misery, too.

I am not so smug that I cannot see the weaknesses in my own life and I'm grateful that things have turned out as they have. I also wish to assist others who have made bad choices but can be helped.

For those who want to overcome addiction, I am told, it takes at least three tries through an addiction center.

Not everyone who tries drugs does get addicted. We are chemically somewhat different when it comes to addiction. Look at alcohol, some are addicted at their first drink. Others drink all their lives and never have a problem.

I do think, however, that the biggest problem is not the addict - and I agree with you that it is a choice, just like alcohol. My problem is the corruption of public officials which is so prevalent. We see what the corruption of drug money has done to governments and police south of the border and we are following the same pattern here. It has to stop. Legalization, the control of production and distribution, will prevent this corruption.

People who object to legalization either do not know how pervasive the corruption is or are receiving remuneration of some kind by leaving drugs illegal. Remember that powerful families made money from alcohol during prohibition. Don't fool yourself that the same thing is not happening now.
But you don't legalize the poison.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 03:27 PM
 
1,259 posts, read 1,216,308 times
Reputation: 2179
Default Let's stick to the facts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by garonick View Post
But you don't legalize the poison.
Fact: Cannabis is not toxic and less addicting than caffeine. Hardly a definition of "poison".

The most harmful thing about using cannabis is getting caught up in the "justice" system. The punishments do not fit the "crime".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
2,895 posts, read 5,686,842 times
Reputation: 2177
You guys are still entertaining the troll?


He's getting a nice kick out of all of you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 05:01 PM
 
Location: The Ranch in Olam Haba
23,713 posts, read 29,040,306 times
Reputation: 9985
So basically NYC has gone full circle back to the days when cops gave out $50 tickets in the 70's and all one had to do was mail in a check with the ticket and that was the end of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 08:23 PM
 
650 posts, read 669,950 times
Reputation: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
You guys are still entertaining the troll?


He's getting a nice kick out of all of you.
I have to agree with your drug warped opinion or else I'm a troll?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 08:25 PM
 
650 posts, read 669,950 times
Reputation: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Fact: Cannabis is not toxic and less addicting than caffeine. Hardly a definition of "poison".

The most harmful thing about using cannabis is getting caught up in the "justice" system. The punishments do not fit the "crime".
It destroys brain cells and slows reaction time plus it smells disgusting and I wouldn't want marijuana smell in my lungs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 08:27 PM
 
650 posts, read 669,950 times
Reputation: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No but tell me how is that any different from catching a DWI which is legal with alcohol
Alcohol may be legal but drunk driving is a felony and being the cause of injuring/killing others lands the drunk driver severe prison time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2013, 05:10 AM
 
650 posts, read 669,950 times
Reputation: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
You guys are still entertaining the troll?


He's getting a nice kick out of all of you.
Nice to see NY Daily News editorial March 2, 2013 agreeing with my views on keeping marijuana illegal because of the danger of hopped up drivers.

The Daily News editorial staff are trolls?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:43 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top