U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 08:12 AM

16,361 posts, read 7,408,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
I don't fully agree with you. There are substances that should never ever reach the bodega shelf.
I don't think hard drugs like crack and heroin should be legalised. But even here I think the penalties are too harsh. Prison terms for simple possession and low level dealing? I guess this is what's known as "tough love".
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 12:27 PM

650 posts, read 669,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I don't think hard drugs like crack and heroin should be legalised. But even here I think the penalties are too harsh. Prison terms for simple possession and low level dealing? I guess this is what's known as "tough love".
Dangerous drugs which have been known to kill or for addicts to kill under their influence. Life sentences for the main suppliers, prison for sellers and buyers, you have to discourage kids from getting involved with drugs.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:29 PM

650 posts, read 669,423 times
The best thing an addict can do is overdose in a schoolyard.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:20 PM

80,724 posts, read 74,300,833 times
I thought this was already the case.

I got busted with a friend for smoking a joint at lunchtime downtown. This was back in 1990. We got a desk appearance ticket. We ignored it, but then my friend got something in the mail (but I did not) and we thought we'd better pay attention to it because we worked for one of the public agencies and we were afraid they would look us up and we'd lose our jobs. So, on our lunch hour, she and I went over to the courthouse with our tickets.

The guys behind the counter looked at the tickets and started laughing. Because we were in proper office attire, I guess they weren't expecting us to have pot tickets. They said we could just go down the hall and see the judge in Courtroom X. We asked if it was going to take long, because we were on our lunch hour, and one of the guys said, "Why, ya got the munchies?" And then they cracked up all over again.

We went into the courtroom and handed our tickets to the Bailiff, who read them and started laughing. He told us to take a seat. There were about five other people waiting in the courtroom. The judge came in, and the Bailiff said to her, "Maybe you want to take care of these first." He handed them to the judge and she started laughing. Apparently my friend and I were the only people on the planet who ever actually showed up to pay desk appearance tickets for smoking a joint.

We didn't pay anything. The judge said she was suspending the sentence, and if we were not similarly charged within a year of that date, the charge would be dropped.

We felt like idiots who had provided the court system their big laugh for the day, but we were glad we were off the hook.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:22 AM

12,408 posts, read 18,254,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garonick View Post
Dangerous drugs which have been known to kill or for addicts to kill under their influence. Life sentences for the main suppliers, prison for sellers and buyers, you have to discourage kids from getting involved with drugs.
I believe that a lot of drug deaths are due to the consumer not knowing what they are cut with and not knowing how pure they are.

I get the thought that there has been so much twisted propaganda levied at people concerning drugs and their danger that they don't believe any of it.

The waste of money on drugs is, to me, ridiculous. Then some drugs permanently change the pleasure centers of the brain and some/most who take the drugs and stop will never be able to have those natural responses to life that never drugged persons do, loving sunsets and scenery and music and art.

It's as though the pleasure centers have been overstimulated and burned out.

I think it's just stupid to take drugs, but they should be legal. A crime is considered to happen when one person harms another in some way. Drug taking, to me, means something is lacking in someone's life or their attitude to life. It starts, I think, with a mental disorder.

These people need treatment, not punishment. They take drugs out of weakness. Pushing them lower in life, prison, making life even more difficult for them, is not going to fix the problem.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:29 AM

3,244 posts, read 4,994,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I thought this was already the case. I got busted ... back in 1990 ... got a desk appearance ticket.
You probably did not give the officer(s) a problem, and had ID with you. Many others either have an attitude, or lack ID, so it's off to Central Booking they go. It doesn't help, that the arresting officer gets hours of OT, while sitting around waiting for speak with the DA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
ignored it ... got something in the mail ... thought ... better pay attention to it ... went over to the courthouse ... didn't pay anything. The judge said she was suspending the sentence, and if ... not similarly charged within a year of that date, the charge would be dropped.
You did the correct thing, belatedly. Again, your attitude probably helped ease your way through the bureaucracy & get you in front of a judge with minimal fuss. The disposition, an ACD (Adjourned in Contemplation of Dismissal), is typical for first offenders. Failure to Appear normally leads to the issuance of an Arrest Warrant with your name on it. Old warrants generally seem to pop up at awkward moments (not that there is a good time).
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.1244870
It appears that this solitary scrape with the criminal justice system set you on a lifelong straight & narrow path!

Last edited by bigjake54; 02-20-2013 at 11:42 AM..

Old 02-20-2013, 11:53 AM

12,408 posts, read 18,254,878 times
I recently got this as an email.
Corruption The Mena Connection

It's old, but ends with what I believe is truthful, that this is going on throughout the country, to one degree or another.
Legalization will go a long way toward putting an end to this corruption.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I believe is truthful, that this is going on throughout the country
It must be true! I saw it on the Internet!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmx4twCK3_I

Old 02-20-2013, 12:08 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,683,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
You probably did not give the officer(s) a problem, and had ID with you. Many others either have an attitude, or lack ID, so it's off to Central Booking they go. It doesn't help, that the arresting officer gets hours of OT, while sitting around waiting for speak with the DA!

You did the correct thing, belatedly. Again, your attitude probably helped ease your way through the bureaucracy & get you in front of a judge with minimal fuss. The disposition, an ACD (Adjourned in Contemplation of Dismissal), is typical for first offenders. Failure to Appear normally leads to the issuance of an Arrest Warrant with your name on it. Old warrants generally seem to pop up at awkward moments (not that there is a good time).
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.1244870
It appears that this solitary scrape with the criminal justice system set you on a lifelong straight & narrow path!
How are the guys in the force taking the news?
Not very well I assume. After all you guys milked that puppy to satiety, billing the city and state billions of dollars worth of hrs (many of them paid at 1.5) in BS weed operations.
The police unions must be pissed at the more lax initiatives. First they go after stop and frisk and now (weed) their number 1 source of arrests.
It seems now it's not a good time to become a cop.
Not as profitable as it used to be.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
How are the guys in the force taking the news? ... Not as profitable as it used to be.

SWAT team storms elevator and sings I Will Survive to passenger - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City