Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 05:25 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times

Advertisements

I'm all for legalization, too, and I do not partake.
Just like when there was prohibition of alcohol, there are probably a lot of names we'd recognize who are making big money off the US drug trade. Also, I have heard the police force, of Oregon in particular, is corrupt because of it.

I think prohibiting something that is obviously so popular is just encouraging a black market in it and exacerbating the problem. Something similar would happen if guns were made illegal. Look at the state of prostitution in the country and the specials on slavery concerning it on tv.

Look at all the scandals about athletes drugging. I strongly believe in the laws prohibiting drugging for athletes, but when they really want to do so, they will find a way.

We've legalized gambling and alcohol. Although these things cause problems, they are a lot less than when these things were taboo.

Prohibition creates corruption. I am all for teaching people to behave like adults and practice restraint. It comes down to whether or not we think our population are mature human beings or uncontrollable wild people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 05:33 PM

650 posts, read 701,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I'm all for legalization, too, and I do not partake.
Just like when there was prohibition of alcohol, there are probably a lot of names we'd recognize who are making big money off the US drug trade. Also, I have heard the police force, of Oregon in particular, is corrupt because of it.

I think prohibiting something that is obviously so popular is just encouraging a black market in it and exacerbating the problem. Something similar would happen if guns were made illegal. Look at the state of prostitution in the country and the specials on slavery concerning it on tv.

Look at all the scandals about athletes drugging. I strongly believe in the laws prohibiting drugging for athletes, but when they really want to do so, they will find a way.

We've legalized gambling and alcohol. Although these things cause problems, they are a lot less than when these things were taboo.

Prohibition creates corruption. I am all for teaching people to behave like adults and practice restraint. It comes down to whether or not we think our population are mature human beings or uncontrollable wild people.
Then you go after and close down the black market.

We could cut down the murder rate if we legalized murder because all would be armed.

But there would go whatever morality is left in this country.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:05 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,556,641 times
guess prison population "costs" too much lol

Legalizing murder wouldn't cut down anything poor borderline stupid example.....why do people think legalizing anything will reduce the occurence of it. In certain cases it does the complete opp.

All legalizing does is control the activity while it perpetuates. Alcohol Prohibition Era, white Collar crime, and gambling are perfect examples of this.

The problem with weed is that it is considered a gateway drug, thus it will forever remain illegal in the US. Until pot heads stop going from weed to crack-cocaine-heroin-meth then it will continue to be illegal in US.

Last edited by MilksFavoriteCookie; 02-16-2013 at 07:20 AM..

Old 02-16-2013, 08:49 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
If drugs were made legal then the government would lose too much money and people will be out of a job.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-16-2013, 10:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
I believe drugs should be legalized but I don't want my local friendly heroin dealer to set up a shop nearby.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:51 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Text: Bloomberg's Final State of the City Address - WNYC
Not exactly. What he should have said was, "Anyone with ID, arrested only for possession, not for intent or sale, will be released on a DAT after clearing a warrant check. Anyone without ID, must be brought to a precinct immediately, held until a Live-scan fingerprint check is complete & reveals no warrants, but for a maximum of two hours from time of arrest."
Otherwise, anyone without ID will still wind up in Central Booking. And, that's a sizeable percentage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
If drugs were made legal then the government would lose too much money and people will be out of a job.
Really? How many government workers were laid off, when Prohibition was repealed? There are still plenty of other crimes to keep police, courts & corrections busy.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:22 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It's already losing billions fighting an unwinnable war.
Legalizing would actually bring billions to government coffers in the form tax revenues.
There's plenty of other areas where law enforcement resources could be put at better use.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:16 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Legal marijuana would be a cash cow for the gov. And commercial hemp production would give a boost to farmers and the overall economy.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Really? How many government workers were laid off, when Prohibition was repealed? There are still plenty of other crimes to keep police, courts & corrections busy.
Naive.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
It's already losing billions fighting an unwinnable war.
Legalizing would actually bring billions to government coffers in the form tax revenues.
There's plenty of other areas where law enforcement resources could be put at better use.
My point is that there are certain parties that profit off of drugs being illegal. These same parties would love to preserve that. Legalize marijuana and u stop their money.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City