Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 04:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,324,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
My point is that there are certain parties that profit off of drugs being illegal. These same parties would love to preserve that. Legalize marijuana and u stop their money.
There's a section of Northern California where marijuana growing makes up a large chunk of the economy. Some of the locals were opposed to state marijuana legalization because they thought it'd be bad for their region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 04:33 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,895,589 times
Quote:
My point is that there are certain parties that profit off of drugs being illegal. These same parties would love to preserve that. Legalize marijuana and u stop their money.
True.
The DEA and other narc law enforcment in addition to drug dealers, big pharma, alcohol and tobacco companies all see legalization as a threat to their respective bottom lines.

Too bad for them I guess.
Public opinion polls show an steady increase in favor of legalization. It will happen whether they like it or not

Old 02-16-2013, 05:05 PM

195 posts, read 349,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I believe drugs should be legalized but I don't want my local friendly heroin dealer to set up a shop nearby.
imagine THAT

Maybe they should legalize all that crap already(pot, heroine, crack, cocaine) and show gross commercials like the tobocco ones. They would have plenty of material. Let natural selection take care of all the junkies and hopefully by year 3000 we'll have normal humans who don't need to be in an altered state of mind to have fun.

By the way I'm NOT being sarcastic

Old 02-17-2013, 04:24 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,937,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garonick View Post
Then you go after and close down the black market.

We could cut down the murder rate if we legalized murder because all would be armed.

But there would go whatever morality is left in this country.
But, anyone who wants a gun in the country can get one.
You don't need to be facetious. I am talking about things people want to do that are prohibited. Most people really do not wish to murder. That is a really dumb and off the mark comment.

What is morality? Basically, to behave in an honorable way so that civilization can operate smoothly.
So we, hopefully, don't cheat or steal or lie.
How would legalizing anything encourage cheating or stealing or lying any more than what is being done right now, with prohibition? It wouldn't.

We would just have business as usual, but with less corruption of officials, less kids in prison, less venereal disease.

Don't forget how bootlegging made some people very wealthy. There are some very wealthy people today who have made many bucks under the table who are fighting legalization of these things, tooth and nail, and on 'moral' grounds.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
guess prison population "costs" too much lol

Legalizing murder wouldn't cut down anything poor borderline stupid example.....why do people think legalizing anything will reduce the occurence of it. In certain cases it does the complete opp.

All legalizing does is control the activity while it perpetuates. Alcohol Prohibition Era, white Collar crime, and gambling are perfect examples of this.

The problem with weed is that it is considered a gateway drug, thus it will forever remain illegal in the US. Until pot heads stop going from weed to crack-cocaine-heroin-meth then it will continue to be illegal in US.
I think that is a misnomer.
Most people who drink alcohol drank mother's milk. Is that a gateway drug?
Most people who smoke pot drank alcohol. Is booze a gateway drug?
A lot of people have had marijuana and never anything stronger.
It is probably the most widespread drug as far as the number of people who have sampled it.
If all those people, or even HALF had gone on to stronger stuff we'd have a much bigger problem than we now do.
In the same context, air is a gateway drug to murder. Ridiculous?

Old 02-17-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
If drugs were made legal then the government would lose too much money and people will be out of a job.
Law enforcement would be free to catch real criminals.
Gangs would be broken up.
Excess federal funds might go to drug treatment centers and mental health counseling.
New jobs would be created in those fields.
Government could tax drugs.
Farmers would have more crops.
The distribution chain would expand.
Fewer kidney deaths, one would hope. (Maybe an increase in lung problems, though. )

Old 02-17-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I believe drugs should be legalized but I don't want my local friendly heroin dealer to set up a shop nearby.
Sure, just like NYC moved the hookers out of Times Square. They are still around, but I don't hear a lot of complaints because they are not in residential areas or they are VERY discrete.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:02 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,064,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
But, anyone who wants a gun in the country can get one.
You don't need to be facetious. I am talking about things people want to do that are prohibited. Most people really do not wish to murder. That is a really dumb and off the mark comment.

What is morality? Basically, to behave in an honorable way so that civilization can operate smoothly.
So we, hopefully, don't cheat or steal or lie.
How would legalizing anything encourage cheating or stealing or lying any more than what is being done right now, with prohibition? It wouldn't.

We would just have business as usual, but with less corruption of officials, less kids in prison, less venereal disease.

Don't forget how bootlegging made some people very wealthy. There are some very wealthy people today who have made many bucks under the table who are fighting legalization of these things, tooth and nail, and on 'moral' grounds.
Agreed 100%.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:59 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,229,409 times
Quote:
Naive.

How about answering the question? With a supporting link?

Old 02-18-2013, 03:14 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,228,036 times
Quote:
I don't fully agree with you. There are substances that should never ever reach the bodega shelf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City