Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 09:12 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
Nope.

The people who live in the PJs are the ones who should grow a dick and live in fairness with society. LOL @ paying 400 dollars a month while other people are paying 2500. This is pathetic. Not only do these people not pay enough, they also ruin where they live because the majority of these people are the lowest scum of society. "Buahhh but YoungTraveler2011, they can't afford it ." It's called having a free market. If they can't afford to live in area X, they go to area Y. LOL @ having pockets of Americanized shanty towns scattered around Manhattan (and other areas of NYC).

Tell them to get a real job or find a place to live on their own. Since when are governments supposed to babysit people?

That would surely make NYC the greatest place on earth!

I sure as hell hope so.

Those people have my respect.

What we're gonna do is level the land and put it for sale.
For your sake, just find another city that's on your level cause clearly NYC ain't cutting it for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 09:25 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You know, there are people who are homeless because they want to be, for a variety of reasons. I personally have known homeless people who hated anything to do with authority or the welfare system to the point where they'd rather panhandle than deal with social services.
That may be true, but there are so few people who are homeless "by choice" that it's not even worth mentioning them. Most homeless people aren't out sleeping in the streets - you probably wouldn't even be able to pick them out in a crowd. In these rough economic times, there are entire families living in cars, moving between the homes of relatives and friends, living in shelters, etc. So really, the homeless people you speak of, who are often mentally unstable, make up a fraction of a percent of the homeless people out there. So why mention them? What are you getting at?

To the OP, from what I've seen on this forum there are more than a few posters who would probably agree with you. Chicago tore down many of its projects, and the rate of violent crime is as bad as ever. What do you think happens to the tens of thousands of people who are rendered homeless when projects are torn down? They stream into other low-income neighbourhoods, where they destabilize these already fragile communities. I suppose that would suit you, as long as you didn't have to look at them, or be reminded of their presence.

Your impressions of poor people lead me to believe that you have never suffered any real economic hardship in your life, that you've never actually interacted with poor people, and that you know nothing of their lives and struggles. In the free market paradise you imagine, America would resemble sub-Saharan Africa. Perhaps you should move there.

Last edited by TOkidd; 02-17-2013 at 09:39 AM..

Old 02-17-2013, 10:10 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
For your sake, just find another city that's on your level cause clearly NYC ain't cutting it for you.
You're a disgrace for not wanting to improve your own city. Pathetic.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:16 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
Quote:
Thank you for proving my point. You're not to be taken seriously. Go find another board!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:47 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Simple solution:

Have them all get jobs in banks and on Wall Street and then they will be able to afford market rents, which could thereby be doubled overnight.
If some don't have financial skills they could become wealthy rappers and move to Scarsdale.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:52 AM

19,047 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Simple answer, yes. The residents will figure it out, as will the businesses which can no longer find low-income employees No one is entitled live somewhere they cannot afford to live.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:54 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
all they do is drag down everything and dont even get me started on the scumbags that take that opportunity for granted.

also, lets be honest, they are horrendous looking buildings.
Pathetic. Simply PATHETIC.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:55 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
If YOU don't like it HERE, why don't YOU leave??

This is what I did when I could no longer take living in my last city - I LEFT.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:05 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Unless you can do a Hitler "final solution" on the residents, where will they go?

Will you send all the residents to freeze in the streets?

Not all PJ residents are losers. My mom lived in an NYCHA project, Tanya Towers, until she passed because her pension as a Federal employee + Social Security couldn't pay market rent.

Do you have gas chambers and crematoria ready for these folks?

Subsidized housing can be fine with proper tenant screening and evictions of those who do not follow rules.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:06 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times
Lol YoungTraveler. . . so clueless and most likely far too young to make a cohesive thesis to back up this stupid thread.

The City doesn't need to demolish public housing. The City needs to reevaluate the system they have in place. I too, hate any type of entitlement attitude, but not everyone in housing is the same. Fortunately, I've never (thanks to my Mom) experienced being in public housing so I can't say what it's like. You don't know someone's situation so the fact that you think displacing people will "improve" (one of, if not the best city in the world), show's your lack of knowledge. So you should be careful about what you wish for because one day that could be you and/or your kids.

You also have the option to move out. Lol at improving New York. With all of this development happening, when the rest of America is stagnant, you're complaining about something that isn't your concern. Or maybe it is???? I got it! You live in public housing, don't you?

It'll get better, champ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City