Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 01:43 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Well the rezoning should change that over the next few years. Replacing auto repair shops/lots/warehouses with dense/mixed use/transit oriented apartment buildings will bring a lot of vibrancy. Eventually the street will be redesigned too.
My issue with the zoning is that the area will become too dense and overcrowded, which is already a problem. Years ago I was told we had more children in this school district alone than the entire city of Buffalo. I like the quiet, the trees, the greenery. I am afraid all that will be ruined if construction runs amok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 01:47 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Why don't residents speak up about not allowing the homeless shelter to open up in their neighborhood? That's how the downfall starts.
They do. The city just does not care. Everything bad, ugly, and dangerous MUST go up in the Bronx.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,375 times
Webster Ave was a mess 50 years ago. It was always garages, bars, retail shops, bars, a bowling alley, bars, there were small factories, did I mention bars? All under the shadow of the El. Grand Concourse it were not!

Old 03-19-2013, 09:48 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
Webster Ave was a mess 50 years ago. It was always garages, bars, retail shops, bars, a bowling alley, bars, there were small factories, did I mention bars? All under the shadow of the El. Grand Concourse it were not!

Very true, and parking lots as well. Pidgon poop everywhere too.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:11 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
I believe they are building "affordable housing". Yet we all know "affordable housing" is code word for subsidized/Section 8 housing. "Affordable housing" is NOT geared towards renting to middle class/non-program individuals, they are geared more towards renting to low income people. And as we all know, there is a HUGE co-relation between low income and crime. And even if some apartments are "reserved" for middle class/non-program people, no decent middle class person wants to have loud and unruly subsidized/Section 8 tenants as neighbors so they opt not to rent there leaving the window open for a subsidized tenant to scoop up that apartment. before you know it....95% of the building is occupied by "hood" people. If that is the case, its hard to imagine the neighborhood not declining as a result due to these transplants.

To sum it up, if they are building "affordable housing" expect more "hood" people to flood that area and bring down the neighborhood. Hood people displaced from other parts of the Bronx as well as other boroughs will come and try to fill up the vacancies. It's a shame to because you have that new beautiful Botanical Gardens parking lot across the street which improves the curb appeal of the neighborhood. The last thing you need is hood people roaming the streets in that area stripping away the curb appeal it has.
Depends. They have different income requirements.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:38 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,986 times
Quote:
My fear is that these new apartment building complexes will go the way of the new apartment buildings in the south Bronx went....ghetto.

Yes the buildings may look very nice from the outside which is a plus in increasing curb appeal but what good will it do if you have the hood element present in the building where it never really existed before because there were no buildings there before to house them.

Like I said before, the new buildings in the south Bronx are having the same issue I am describing now. Hood people have infiltrated these new buildings. So now you have the smell of weed in the hallways, the graffiti on stairwells and the people throwing trash out the window. Same social ills, just different venue.

That's what I don't want for this area. The Botanical Gardens is right there and so is the Metro North station. There is no reason why that area should have an abundance of hood people residing there. That area should have an abundance of middle class people who hop on the Metro North to go to work in the city because Manhattan rents are too high as is Brooklyn.

I guess I'm a visionary as I see the potential in the area.

Oh no weed in the hallways! What will we do? But I agree with the rest fof the post.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:40 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,986 times
I hope they keep the hipsters out!!

Old 03-21-2013, 07:01 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Mistertee, replace "hipsters" with "Irish", "Homosexuals", "Jews", "Blacks", "Women"....would you still make that statement? Keep that in mind...

Old 03-21-2013, 07:13 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,544,976 times
I passed by there a few weeks ago and I saw the sign said it was a public school. Maybe I was looking at the wrong building? I know i was definitely deep on webster ave.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:23 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Oh no weed in the hallways! What will we do? But I agree with the rest fof the post.
So I guess in your book it's ok to walk into an apartment building and have the smoke of weed smack you in the face upon walking it? Or how about this...you have an appointment with a prospective tenant to show one of your vacancies and upon walking in the building you smell weed. If that's not a business killer, I don't know what is. However, you condoning this type of behavior and/or lifestyle is very telling of your character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City