Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 03:12 PM

123 posts, read 176,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
No, The Heights is not worth watching. Unless you enjoyed Jersey Shore and all the other mindless, juvenile reality TV programs they feature on MTV - Mindless Television
I'm set with that:-) I'm probably the only person who has never seen an episode of Jersey Shore:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 07:44 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook617 View Post
I'm set with that:-) I'm probably the only person who has never seen an episode of Jersey Shore:-)
You are far, far, from the only person who's never seen an episode of jersey snore.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:51 PM

28 posts, read 41,250 times
Thanks, Lentzr! Gee, for a non resident...you sure seem to have a handle on the area. I wish I could have come back to the thread sooner and gotten more responses to read. If anybody out there wants to add anything, I'm here for awhile tonight, and would greatly appreciate hearing from those who live there, on either side of Broadway, etc...is way up there still considered part of the 'city', Manhattan? Thanks again....

Old 02-23-2013, 07:53 PM

I have never seen an episode of Jersey Shore...and probably won't.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:11 PM

About the 'A' train (which seems to be the favorite form of commute)...do you have any advice for me with regard to safety, inasmuch as when's the best time/worst time to ride...or is anytime okay? Is there much in the way of a rush hour? How long should it take to get to midtown, for example...or even Brooklyn? Best routes, forms of travel. etc? Not that I'll be going back to Brooklyn more that about once a month or so...

Old 02-23-2013, 08:19 PM

Bluedog, thanks for yet another perspective....that's what I'm talking about! Everyone who's out there reading this thread...I want many, and varied, opinions about the area....someone mentioned Hudson Heights...does that person think it's a better neighborhood in which to live? People, please tell me about Hudson heights as well...my curiosity is growing!

Old 02-23-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The basic rule of thumb for a lot of people is to stay west of Broadway as it's quieter and more gentrified. There are some great Dominican restaurants there and some decent other cuisines in the area. The area is flanked by a lot of beautiful greenspace and two of the best seldom visited small museums in the city: the Cloisters and the Hispanic Society of America.
By 'quieter' do you mean like....nothing to do? And a bit ago I saw where someone mentioned that some people who've moved into WH have realized they're spending way more on cab fare than they thought? Why is that? Aren't there trains? Are they not in walking distance? Do they not run during certain times? What's the problem? Someone out there please tell me...I may want to rethink this (?)

Old 02-23-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
dude, there is a starbucks on 181 ft.washington...
Ryu...and your point is??? Starbucks is indeed a sign of gentrification...I heard mixed feelings about there being one. Some think it's great, some think it's terrible....taking away from the old neighborhood feel.

Any other opinions on the subject? I'd love to read some more...thanks!

Old 02-23-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
RYU, your a 100% correct. I was born in the Heights on west 191th st between Audobon and St. Nick. Right across from George Washington hs. Left there in 1979. Went to St Elizabeths for 3 years. West of Broadway never went bad like the rest of the heights. It always maintained.
West of Broadway....just how many blocks are we talking here?

Old 02-23-2013, 08:53 PM

All I want to be able to do is walk out my door (wherever that winds up being) and be able to safely get to a train (or my car, for that matter)...and on my way to wherever, without hassles....is there any such possibility?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City