Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 02:07 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

If Congress butchers the money allocated to NYC welfare housing programs, wouldn't that cause a massive collapse in NY real estate. Significant parts of the city would have landlords with no cash coming in, and if they rented out the apartments to working people, well, people in retail generally don't make that much.

So are programs like Section 8 really welfare programs for landlords, to make landlords rich while not improving the lives of the poor. Ditto for the legion of non profits in this city that are supposed to help the poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 03:24 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
It might have some affect but probably not anywhere what you might think.As far as I know there are only about 30,000 section 8 vouchers currently in use in NYC and a significant number of those are used in NYCHA apartments.

I believe there are over 2 million rental units in the city so that must mean that the number rented through section 8 vouchers is around 1.5 % of the total number.Not nearly enough to have a significant impact,IMO.

There are just as many rent controlled units still out there and almost a million rent stabilized units.That has a much,much bigger influence on the market that than section 8.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:59 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
If Congress butchers the money allocated to NYC welfare housing programs, wouldn't that cause a massive collapse in NY real estate. Significant parts of the city would have landlords with no cash coming in, and if they rented out the apartments to working people, well, people in retail generally don't make that much.

So are programs like Section 8 really welfare programs for landlords, to make landlords rich while not improving the lives of the poor. Ditto for the legion of non profits in this city that are supposed to help the poor.

The answer to the question is depends. The Bronx has a high concentration of Section 8 tenants. Perfect example is one of the buildings on my block where 98% of the building is filled with Section 8 trash. If tomorrow NYCHA were to stop issuing money for rent, the building's landlord would get hit hard as it solely depends on Section 8 checks to arrive the first of the month.

I agree that Section 8 is welfare for landlords. Rather, the correct term is welfare for SLUMLORDS, who want to suck every dime out of the building, put nothing back in the building and strictly seek Section 8 tenants to fill their vacancies simply because they pay TOP dollar for an apartment. About $250 more in rent than a regular working person is willing to pay in rent.

This is the case in the Bronx which is a low market rent area but not the case in higher market rent areas like Manhattan and certain areas of Brooklyn and Queens where market rents in these areas are higher than what Section 8 will pay. Therefore landlords in those area don't have the desire or need to rent to Section 8 tenants and hence why they tend to be more desirable neighborhoods with better quality of life.

Also keep in mind that Section 8 tenants are NOT as picky about the aesthetics of the apartment and building like regular working people are. All Section 8 tenants want is a ROOF over their heads and are willing to tolerate such conditions. This plays perfectly to a slumlord who doesn't want to do anything to the building but just collect checks.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:03 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
The answer to the question is depends. The Bronx has a high concentration of Section 8 tenants. Perfect example is one of the buildings on my block where 98% of the building is filled with Section 8 trash. If tomorrow NYCHA were to stop issuing money for rent, the building's landlord would get hit hard as it solely depends on Section 8 checks to arrive the first of the month.

I agree that Section 8 is welfare for landlords. Rather, the correct term is welfare for SLUMLORDS, who want to suck every dime out of the building, put nothing back in the building and strictly seek Section 8 tenants to fill their vacancies simply because they pay TOP dollar for an apartment. About $250 more in rent than a regular working person is willing to pay in rent.

This is the case in the Bronx which is a low market rent area but not the case in higher market rent areas like Manhattan and certain areas of Brooklyn and Queens where market rents in these areas are higher than what Section 8 will pay. Therefore landlords in those area don't have the desire or need to rent to Section 8 tenants and hence why they tend to be more desirable neighborhoods with better quality of life.

Also keep in mind that Section 8 tenants are NOT as picky about the aesthetics of the apartment and building like regular working people are. All Section 8 tenants want is a ROOF over their heads and are willing to tolerate such conditions. This plays perfectly to a slumlord who doesn't want to do anything to the building but just collect checks.
But the so-called "free" market, of which you are apparently a strong proponent, is the condition of possibility for such actions. Indeed, they are the perfect manifestation of such. These landlords, and there are a lot of them, do not care because they live nowhere near the property in questions. They will squeeze what profits they can until the area "gentrifies," when they shift strategies. Just like any other investment.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
But the so-called "free" market, of which you are apparently a strong proponent, is the condition of possibility for such actions. Indeed, they are the perfect manifestation of such. These landlords, and there are a lot of them, do not care because they live nowhere near the property in questions. They will squeeze what profits they can until the area "gentrifies," when they shift strategies. Just like any other investment.
Sadly this is true as many landlords don't care about the neighborhood because they don't live there. I as a landlord myself can't stand such landlords because they make it 100x tougher on good landlords like myself in renting and attracting respectable and well educated tenants. It's very hard to convince decent people to rent from you when you see hood people roaming the streets.

It's the landlord's fault for introducing Section 8 trash to their building/neighborhood in the name of profit, and it's the Section 8 tenant's fault for acting hood and uncivilized which deter decent people from moving in and scare decent people to move out.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:49 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Sadly this is true as many landlords don't care about the neighborhood because they don't live there. I as a landlord myself can't stand such landlords because they make it 100x tougher on good landlords like myself in renting and attracting respectable and well educated tenants. It's very hard to convince decent people to rent from you when you see hood people roaming the streets.

It's the landlord's fault for introducing Section 8 trash to their building/neighborhood in the name of profit, and it's the Section 8 tenant's fault for acting hood and uncivilized which deter decent people from moving in and scare decent people to move out.
But that's the point !
These things are directly the result of unchecked and expanding capitalism, predatory investment practices, etc. You cannot be a little bit capitalist, as history should have taught us.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:10 PM

The blame should not go to capitalism. The REAL blame should go to HUD or whoever issues the voucher amounts. For the Bronx rental market, the voucher amounts are INFLATED rents. Why is Section 8 issuing inflated rents? They are in OVER PAYING for rent. Though I don't like it, landlords who don't care about the neighborhood and are strictly out for the bottomline, take advantage of this INFLATED RENT loophole.

Why can't Section 8 issue vouchers in line with market rents instead of issuing a blanket voucher amount for the whole city?

Because of Section 8 inflated rents, regular working folks get priced-out, not by Yuppies but by Section 8 people.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:12 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
landlords who don't care about the neighborhood and are strictly out for the bottomline, take advantage of this INFLATED RENT loophole.
Capitalism 101.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-21-2013, 06:18 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
The blame should not go to capitalism. The REAL blame should go to HUD or whoever issues the voucher amounts. For the Bronx rental market, the voucher amounts are INFLATED rents. Why is Section 8 issuing inflated rents? They are in OVER PAYING for rent. Though I don't like it, landlords who don't care about the neighborhood and are strictly out for the bottomline, take advantage of this INFLATED RENT loophole.

Why can't Section 8 issue vouchers in line with market rents instead of issuing a blanket voucher amount for the whole city?

Because of Section 8 inflated rents, regular working folks get priced-out, not by Yuppies but by Section 8 people.
Each borough should be treated separately when determining section 8 voucher amounts because the real estate market in each borough is totally different.It's stupid and highly destructive to have the same voucher amounts for Manhattan and The Bronx.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Capitalism 101.
I'm a hardcore capitalist and I REFUSE to rent to Section 8 people. Now what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City