Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 08:39 AM

917 posts, read 2,005,790 times

Advertisements

I'm in BK and I've been dealing with a mouse problem for a while now. We had an exterminator come and we put some peanut butter on some traps we've caught a few but I know there are still more.

I've been reading old threads on here about sealing up the holes. I bought the foam can and I'm gonna seal every hole I can find.

I have considered getting a cat but my family is totally against it.

The mice have started going on the table and eating the fruits I stopped leaving the fruits outside.

I'm just wondering is it possible to never have to deal with mice. Can a girl hope? lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 09:50 AM

371 posts, read 625,248 times
I have lived in my apartment here in Forest Hills for 5 years and I have never seen one mouse or roach. There is hope.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,228,614 times
They say even long after human race is gone, the roaches will still be around.
Unfortunately, I am going to say no. Even tho you do not see them... they are there.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:58 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,933,547 times
Adopt a kitty from the death list. Or at least consider fostering.
If you are one of these people who "hates" cats, do not consider this solution.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:00 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
I'm in BK and I've been dealing with a mouse problem for a while now. We had an exterminator come and we put some peanut butter on some traps we've caught a few but I know there are still more.

I've been reading old threads on here about sealing up the holes. I bought the foam can and I'm gonna seal every hole I can find.

I have considered getting a cat but my family is totally against it.

The mice have started going on the table and eating the fruits I stopped leaving the fruits outside.

I'm just wondering is it possible to never have to deal with mice. Can a girl hope? lol.

Sadly we can't control who our neighbors are, and if our neighbors are pigs it means we're going to experience mice and roaches

I used the spray foam and it helped (I have holes around my radiators), just make sure you get the heat resistant kind if the foam is going to be near any pipes (steam or water).

I also noticed that mice learn to avoid the sticky traps pretty quickly, but if they're startled they turn into retards and will make a bee-line directly into a sticky trap if they're chased. I had a couple of superbrain mice that evaded every trap and always seemed to find ways into things containing food that were intentionally placed out of reach. Eventually I triumphed and trapped the bastards.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:05 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
It really depends where you live. If you are in a 5 story tenement type building, and you have 1 neighbor who is a pig, it will be impossible to live mouse and roach free. I have a 3 family building, and we are roach free always, however I do have mice which should up periodically. I keep traps baited, and they are always caught...it's all you can do.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:06 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,908,267 times
Same here.
I've been living mouse, roach free for the last 3 yrs. It's certainly possible.
I'm undecided as to which one is worst, mice or roaches?

Both are awful and very hard to get rid of, especially if your neighbors are careless, filthy pigs.

IMO, the worst of the worst is having bedbugs.
Those things are almost impossible to get rid of and what's worse, is that they feed off you :S

Old 07-17-2012, 10:08 AM

23 posts, read 63,242 times
Never a roach never a mouse...of course I have 70 pounds of cats (4 of them) that live with me 8-)

Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 AM

917 posts, read 2,005,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Sadly we can't control who our neighbors are, and if our neighbors are pigs it means we're going to experience mice and roaches

I used the spray foam and it helped (I have holes around my radiators), just make sure you get the heat resistant kind if the foam is going to be near any pipes (steam or water).

I also noticed that mice learn to avoid the sticky traps pretty quickly, but if they're startled they turn into retards and will make a bee-line directly into a sticky trap if they're chased. I had a couple of superbrain mice that evaded every trap and always seemed to find ways into things containing food that were intentionally placed out of reach. Eventually I triumphed and trapped the bastards.
I hope this doesn't happen. I placed two traps with the peanut butter one week and I caught two and I placed more but they aren't going on it. I'm going to buy snap traps too.

Thanks for the tip about the foam. Not sure if the one I bought is heat resistant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Adopt a kitty from the death list. Or at least consider fostering.
If you are one of these people who "hates" cats, do not consider this solution.
My mother is one. I've always wanted a cat but my family hated them. I understands pets come with responsibility but I rather a cat around than mice eating our food. One of them went in my mom's purse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
I have lived in my apartment here in Forest Hills for 5 years and I have never seen one mouse or roach. There is hope.
I wonder if Queens has less pests than the other boroughs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C8N View Post
They say even long after human race is gone, the roaches will still be around.
Unfortunately, I am going to say no. Even tho you do not see them... they are there.
I really don't want to think about it.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:18 AM

141 posts, read 353,716 times
My cat keeps the mice out of my apartment and I love her for it! The day that I moved in, I found a mouse sitting outside my door lol... we brought him outside and he never returned. Sometimes I see little field mice in my window wells, but they won't come in because of my cat. As for roaches, I will NOT deal with them. In my first apartment, I got a huge infestation because the dirty people upstairs moved out and the roaches fled from their place to mine. I bought some brown gel stuff (think Raid makes it), bait stations, boric acid, and caulk. I used the gel in every hole I found, filled the big holes with boric acid & caulked them, and set the bait traps out and within two weeks I was roach free. I mean, I would see one every now and then, but hardly ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City