Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 07:35 PM

3 posts, read 2,815 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a 19 year old currently living in Buffalo, NY and trying to move to NYC by 2016. I know its very expensive and i plan on having a roommate when i do move. How much should i save up and how do i go about talking about this with the person i'm trying to move in with? Good tips would help alot, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 07:58 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,587,576 times
What do you plan to do for employment?

Old 06-09-2014, 07:59 PM

Thats another thing to, i want to start job seeking a month or two before i do move down

Old 06-09-2014, 08:05 PM

836 posts, read 1,033,283 times
Hi Tyrese!

I would ask your roommate the following:
1) What do they plan on doing for a job and their estimated salary they will be bringing in
2) What borough/neighborhood are they OK with living in? You want to make sure you both are on the same page with this
3) How much money they plan on saving on their end
4) Do they need to have cable, and other random "luxuries" or are they OK with just $7.99 Netflix (although I think the price may have went up slightly)
5) The most awkward question of all: "What is your credit score?" This will determine the apartment you will be able to get. In addition to having good credit, you will have to make 40x rent. If your rent is $2000/month, you will need to make $80,000 per year (total). - See number 1
6) Do they have to have a pet? That will be an additional expense. Not to mention, may limit your ability to find a place
7) If you get rejected for an apartment (don't take it personally, even older people with decent credit can get rejected), will you all have a cosigner who is able and willing to cosign for an apartment? A parent, perhaps?

Those are a good start for things to discuss with your future roommate.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrese101 View Post
Thats another thing to, i want to start job seeking a month or two before i do move down
That's a good idea! You definitely want to have a job lined up as that will be imperative for apartment hunting. You will have to submit 3 recent paystubs, your bank statement, and credit score. They take all things into consideration.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:10 PM

Ok great advice! I just need to know how much i should save up and find a way to get my things from Buffalo all the way to NYC

Old 06-10-2014, 08:08 AM

Yeah- unfortunately I'm not sure how much you should save up until you have your job lined up and your apartment in place. Most apartments want 1st months rent and security deposit up front. If you were to find a place for $1500/month each, you would essentially need $3,000 up front, not including utilities set up, furniture if you will need it. Personally, I would think $5,000 would be a good start (and not too unrealistic).

I had no money saved and wish I would have when I moved here. My rent was only $500/month and I was moving in with a friend rather than an apartment building so it was a little different for me. If I had to put down first month's rent, last month's rent, and a deposit, I wouldn't have been able to afford to move here.

You can go to Uhaul or Budget Rental's website to get a price estimate for actually moving your items here. Just please don't be cheap like my roommate and not buy the insurance LOL He wanted to save $19.95 and I held my breath that we didn't get into an accident the whole way there and back! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City