Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,450 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to move back to NY (Brooklyn/Queens) with my daughter in 2014 as she will be attending college there. Is it possible to get a 2 bedroom apt in Brooklyn or Queens for $1500 or less?? Are there any safe neighborhoods that would allow a decent commute to Manhattan in that price range? Please say yes! I'm desperate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 12:57 PM

393 posts, read 783,101 times
I think it'll be tough in 2014, but maybe there are some neighborhoods in Queens that are far from Manhattan where you can swing that. Why don't you guys just shoot for a nice sized one bedroom and share until you get settled? I think even that isn't going to be easy in a good neighborhood with proximity to Manhattan. You can try Staten Island or Bronx, but the commute is bad..from Staten Island at least.

It's really hard to say what the rents are going to be like in 2014 though. Things change quickly.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:32 PM

371 posts, read 625,009 times
Sorry, but there really aren't any safe neighborhoods that would also allow a decent commute to Manhattan and be in your price range. You'll have to give up one or the other. I would second the idea of looking for a 1 bedroom instead.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:54 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveysmommy View Post
I am hoping to move back to NY (Brooklyn/Queens) with my daughter in 2014 as she will be attending college there. Is it possible to get a 2 bedroom apt in Brooklyn or Queens for $1500 or less?? Are there any safe neighborhoods that would allow a decent commute to Manhattan in that price range? Please say yes! I'm desperate.
How are you defining decent commute? I imagine most of what you'd be looking for would be in the $1600-$1900 range on the LOW end of the range. This would be neighborhoods like Ditmas Park, Kensington and Bay Ridge in Brooklyn, and Jackson Heights, Woodside, Forest Hills, Elmhurst, Kew Gardens and Rego Park in Queens. One bedrooms in those neighborhoods should be around $1400 or $1500 and up. Obviously the prices I am giving are just estimates, and please remember, I am stating the prices on the low end of the range.

Sometimes in the outer borughs, the one bedroom pre-war apartments can be quite large and easy enough to partition off part of the living room as a bedroom. Or you might even get lucky and find a junior four, which usually means there's a small room off the kitchen which people sometimes use as a baby's room or an office. Here's a sample large jr 4
Bright and Renovated JR4 (NOT 2BR) for rent in Flushing , NY 11354 - YouTube

I would consider all the commutes from those neighborhoods I mentioned to Manhattan "decent" but you might have other ideas of decency. What you need to look at when you're looking at commuting times is the train lines -- how far is the apartment from the train, which train is it, and how long does the train take to the stop you're going to in Manhattan. Google maps offers an ok estimate of travel times and routes if you click on the train icon after typing in your from and to locations.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:12 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,851 times
You can get a 2 br for that price in sunset park. Problem solved

Old 02-28-2013, 08:45 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveysmommy View Post
No unless you want to live in a unsafe area. It's even hard to find one bedroom apts at that price.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:30 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
No offense, but it's highly unusual for a parent to follow when a child goes to college.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:40 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
No offense, but it's highly unusual for a parent to follow when a child goes to college.
I was suprised to find out how many parents are doing this for financial reasons (not necessarily to NYC) and for retirement, but they are! Mom says that she is moving back to NYC so it is possible that she wants to be close to other family who live here too. It's also possible that Mom is ill and needs her child to care for her or the child has a disability and needs Mom to care for her. It's also possible that the child will be attending a school that does not have dorms or many dorm options and they are trying save some money by living together.

In 2012, you could get a one bedroom for that price in a safe area, but doubt if you will find a 2 bedroom. However, some of the older apartments can have a very large entrance foyer which you could make into a private area with screens and such and place a bed and small night table in that space. Possibly, if you get tremendously lucky, you could get a junior 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City