Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 01:28 PM

11 posts, read 18,058 times

Advertisements

Are a kitchen and full bathroom at yard level, below grade (access from street via stairs) in a Brooklyn 2-fam a code violation?

House is a 2-fam, but used as a 1-fam. Would that make it OK to install kitchen and full bath under ground?

Or would the only way to make it up to code be to move the kitchen to the ground floor and turn the full bath into a half?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 02:12 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Get a lawyer.If he/she doesn't have answers get another lawyer. Don'y play the fool.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:15 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,293 times
I think if you start just one more thread, you'll get all the answers you're looking for.

Just one more, go ahead.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:19 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
It is only legal when 50% or more of the cellar is above ground. If most of the space is below ground, it is illegal and you are about to get ripped off.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I think if you start just one more thread, you'll get all the answers you're looking for.

Just one more, go ahead.
I think the OP is gong to keep asking the same questions until he/she finds someone who will give the answer he/she wants.If you ask enough people you will eventually find someone who will tell you what you want to hear no matter how illogical it might be.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:27 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,624 times
You really would have to consult a lawyer to see whats's legal and whats not. I'm guessing it would depend on your area and when the house was built. For example, in my area kitchens and full bathrooms below grade are a no-no, but for some reason when my house was built, the city approved the construction of a full bathroom in my basement. The one time inspectors checked my basement, they citied me for the bathroom but the judge let me keep it because it was in the original plans of the house. Like I said, check with a lawyer before you buy anything.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:35 PM

Thanks for taking the time to answer and share the experience!

Old 02-28-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I think the OP is gong to keep asking the same questions until he/she finds someone who will give the answer he/she wants.If you ask enough people you will eventually find someone who will tell you what you want to hear no matter how illogical it might be.
I find it funny how some people care to read different threads and judge the poster instead of addressing the issues mentioned in said threads.

Nobody asked you to read all my threads... but if you have time to kill, good for you! I don't have that luxury, and that's why I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask the two questions I had on separate threads, to increase my chances on getting AN answer, not the answer you guys seem to be imagining I want to get.

Have a nice read!

Old 02-28-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectH View Post
I find it funny how some people care to read different threads and judge the poster instead of addressing the issues mentioned in said threads.

Nobody asked you to read all my threads... but if you have time to kill, good for you! I don't have that luxury, and that's why I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to ask the two questions I had on separate threads, to increase my chances on getting AN answer, not the answer you guys seem to be imagining I want to get.

Have a nice read!
Unlike some others I didn't address your issues because I am not a lawyer and I don't know the answers to your specific situation.Why offer advice based on nothing or a hunch? Is that what you really want ? Because that's what you are getting .Nobody here(even a lawyer) would be able to answer your questions without the specific address,the zoning rules for that specific address,a certificate of occupancy , a recent survey of the property and a copy of all records on file with the building department.This is why people usually enter into contracts to purchase real estate "subject to" clear title, to any facts that an updated survey may show and to the seller producing a valid CO free of building violations.

If you would care to search this forum you will find dozens of threads started by new homeowners in NYC who decided to go ahead and buy properties without a valid co and who were subsequently pounced on by the DOB ,to very great aggravation and financial loss.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-28-2013 at 03:07 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 03:07 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,183 times
Get a lawyer. Seriously. Whatever these people online said isn't going to help you if their comments turned out to be wrong and if it is wrong... It's going to cost you money.

And lastly, if you are willing to take that chance. Brownstoner is better place to ask anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City