Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 03:12 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
NYC has been traditionally the place where people get off the boat, literally. The movement has always been westward. Midwesterners moving to NYC has not been common. Has nothing to do with being an elitist.
This is wildly false.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 05:23 PM

39 posts, read 68,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
/thread
What does that mean? Thanks for pointing out my typo. I meant to write midtown. You can't blame me though, I opened this thread at what 1:00 in in the morning or something?

Last edited by br1975; 03-19-2013 at 06:39 PM..

Old 03-19-2013, 05:33 PM

145 posts, read 307,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
NYC has been traditionally the place where people get off the boat, literally. The movement has always been westward. Midwesterners moving to NYC has not been common. Has nothing to do with being an elitist.
That's total nonsense. Creative people with big ideas and a drive to be successful have been drawn from all over the US to NYC for centuries now.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:36 PM

39 posts, read 68,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indravayu View Post
That's total nonsense. Creative people with big ideas and a drive to be successful have been drawn from all over the US to NYC for centuries now.
That's not what a city is about. It's not about proving something or trying to "make it" or whatever the transplants like to say. It's just a place where you live. I'm a New Yorker and as much as I like my city, I'm not going to pretend it's some sort of special place for elites to live or anything. That view of the city is not true.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:00 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br1975 View Post
That's not what a city is about. It's not about proving something or trying to "make it" or whatever the transplants like to say. It's just a place where you live. I'm a New Yorker and as much as I like my city, I'm not going to pretend it's some sort of special place for elites to live or anything. That view of the city is not true.
It's not one or the other. It's both a place where you live and the economic and cultural capital of America in most respects. I don't know why you'd want to ignore that. It's pretty important to the city's identity and always has been.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 AM

145 posts, read 307,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br1975 View Post
You're joking, right? NYC is obviously different things to different people - but one thing that it has been for centuries now is a beacon for ambitious artists, businessmen, immigrants, or even just folks who want to reinvent themselves and be the person they weren't allowed to be in their stifling little home town. It IS a special place, no matter how much you want to deny it.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:14 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
I would say that Manhattan has the most transients, but to be fair with all the recent immigration/transients to the outer boroughs no difference there. Unless your talking about neighborhoods that don't see as much immigration or transients like parts of S.I. and then fringes of the city.

Then there's then youth. It dwindles every year.

Certain groups don't use it at all. Those that have been getting big since the 70s+. I have yet to meet a West Indian (L.A.), Dominican, Central American, Columbian, or Far Eastern Euro with one.

The traditional NY accent is dieing. Oh well.
I have heard Colombians, some Dominicans, many/most Puerto Ricans, even Ecuadorian and mexicans who have lived here a long time and developed one. I knew an Ecuadorian guy and a Mexican guy (as in born there) who sounded like an Italian-Americans from Bensonhurst. It was actually kind of humorous.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
because brooklyn has the most influence on the accent of the whole city, and it is the biggest borough and was a city long before manhattan was even thought about.
FYI, Queens is actually the largest.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:21 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
^ in size yes but not population.

Old 03-20-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
An inveterate Brooklynite who joins a law firm, or an ad agency in Manhattan and wants to advance, quickly learns to temper that "New York twang."

It's a societal thing...nobody wants to sound too "provincial." You're not gonna get far in an accounting firm in London with a strong cockney accent either.
I often voluntarily/sometimes involuntarily alter my accent/speech depending on where I am and what kind of setting it is. If I am at a job interview or speaking in a large group, I speak more softly, slowly, and try to enunciate the words. If I am with my friends from Brooklyn, the NY accents pops out. If I am around my friends from the Bronx, Yonkers, and elsewhere in NY, the accent comes out, plus some slang. If I am threatened or spoken to in a certain disrespectful way, it turns very Bronx ghetto in full force. I have been told a few times that my normal speaking voice sounds like a Puerto Rican Bronx accent if I don't alter it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City