Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 05:32 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
I would love for this thread to return to its topic. I moved back to the neighborhood because I wanted an art deco apartment that was affordable and in a decent neighborhood. I think I found that in Bedford-Mosholu (BEMO as my husband and I call it) and I saw the similarity in my story with the one in the NY times. He was obviously gay as am I so I wanted to see if there were more stories like mine out there. Somehow the thread turned to race and class. Let's take it back to style. Didn't anyone. Like my foyer?
Nice - what is the light fixture? It's hard to see from the photo - the light looks like the shape of a chandelier but I think it's just the glow bouncing off the mirror.

Maybe you should have the Times over to your place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 07:01 PM

579 posts, read 945,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Nice - what is the light fixture? It's hard to see from the photo - the light looks like the shape of a chandelier but I think it's just the glow bouncing off the mirror.

Maybe you should have the Times over to your place.
It's just a dome light. The camera's flash and the mirror combined to make it hard to see as you say. Not sure I'm ready for that kind of publicity!

Old 03-15-2013, 08:08 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
All right, at the request of the OP, I'm going to remain on topic. I think I've said my piece on the other matter at hand. I love my (former) borough, man...it's home to me, and always will be.

I love the art deco buildings myself. I used to live around Bronx Park East/Pelham Parkway area. Lots of similar, beautiful buildings. Many became co-op (or in my former building's case, condo) early on and that definitely preserved the values. Area property values are still holding pretty strong -- that apartment is still worth double what I paid, maybe even more. To put things in perspective, the older Italians that bought in early paid only 65,000...at one time they were worth close to 400K..

Pietrang, that is a BEAUTIFUL foyer. Love the baseboards and crown. I currently live in a not-so-new construction home and all of those things are very pricey extras. I was used to all wood flooring and such things when I lived in NYC, I got spoiled!

Old 03-15-2013, 08:15 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
Quote:
It's just a dome light. The camera's flash and the mirror combined to make it hard to see as you say. Not sure I'm ready for that kind of publicity!
That's refreshing. Seems like so many people are out for their 15 minutes these days.

Enjoy the apartment. The photo reminded me of our place in Inwood. Down the stairs was the living room, from the foyer you could go into either the kitchen, towards the front door or to a little hallway to the bedroom/bathroom. The Art Deco apts are really nice inside and out.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:43 AM

770 posts, read 1,130,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Q44, No question about it. How about that families were paid to have their apartment burned. Fireman would respond and see families out front with their suitcases ready to go. A lotta blame to go around.
Make sure you hit a few of the old spot that never left. Doughnut store on BedFord near jerome ave. Hillside Butcher on Bainbridge. Sals on bainbridge for a slice. Sal just sold the place but all the same cooks still in place.

Wow, was Sal's Dad's name Mario? Of the Five Brother's Pizza?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 AM

Pietrang, very nice foyer shot. It looks like the building facing Moshalu between Decatur Ave and Webster, with the 52nd off to the left. I believe there is a ramp in the park close to there.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:21 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
No Webster. Sals actually used to be 206th street between Bainbridge and Rochembau Ave. They took over the old Bainbridge Cafe bar right on bainbridge next to the old Eddie's Deli.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
No Webster. Sals actually used to be 206th street between Bainbridge and Rochembau Ave. They took over the old Bainbridge Cafe bar right on bainbridge next to the old Eddie's Deli.

Right, thanks. Used to date a girl in Norwood a long time ago. Hung out at the Oval with her and also sometimes at Van Cortland, did the rowboat on the lake thing.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:03 AM

579 posts, read 945,298 times
I saw this article in the Daily News about some sleezy landlord letting 888 Grand Concourse deteriorate. That is one of the more beautiful Art Deco apartment buildings in the area. What a shame. Any one have any information or an update on this? Maybe the landlord is trying to get older tenants to move out so he can renovate and turnover the apartments at higher rents. That buildiong should have gone coop years ago.

Art Deco Bronx building falling apart and landlord not doing a thing to stop it: residents - NY Daily News

Old 12-28-2013, 05:46 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
I saw this article in the Daily News about some sleezy landlord letting 888 Grand Concourse deteriorate. That is one of the more beautiful Art Deco apartment buildings in the area. What a shame. Any one have any information or an update on this? Maybe the landlord is trying to get older tenants to move out so he can renovate and turnover the apartments at higher rents. That buildiong should have gone coop years ago.

Art Deco Bronx building falling apart and landlord not doing a thing to stop it: residents - NY Daily News
Don't know but when you look at the financial records of the property it looks like the landlord sucked about 10 million in cash out of the place in 2011 and then stopped doing anything.Typical slumlord maneuver.

Unfortunatley,many of the deco buildings on The GC are in the same predicament.Landlords have sucked the life out of them.What usually happens after the landlords have sucked the buildings dry and abandoned them is that the city has to take possession.Unfortunately,a city take over isn't much better because although the city makes some repairs they then fill apartments their "clients". Once the city takes over a building there is probably even less chance of it ever going co op because the city uses them to warehouse it's never ending supply of the indigent.

Last edited by bluedog2; 12-28-2013 at 05:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City