Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2007, 12:57 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,615,992 times

Advertisements

Fed Says Make Money by Selling Housing Projects

October 24, 2007

Yesterday, the New School held a forum to discuss how New York City will save its public housing. The New York City Housing Authority, which is the city's primary sources of affordable housing to 400,000 residents, has an annual shortfall of $225 million.

Gothamist: Fed Says Make Money by Selling Housing Projects

---------------------------------------------------

Feds eye New York building sale at housing projects

BY ADAM LISBERG
DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU

Wednesday, October 24th 2007

New Yorks top federal housing official said on Tuesday the city's cash-strapped Housing Authority should consider selling buildings in expensive neighborhoods to create more apartments elsewhere.

Feds eye New York building sale at housing projects

Last edited by Keeper; 12-06-2007 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: removed copyrighted material
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 01:03 PM

274 posts, read 317,562 times
I realllly hope they do that.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:14 PM

943 posts, read 4,247,646 times
How about limiting the amount of time a family may live in public housing? Oh and actually enforce the rule! I don't think anybody should be in public housing more than 2 maybe 3 years. I know people in public housing with 50 inch HDTV's and plush living rooms. It sounds crazy to those who don't know people in the PJ's, but its very real. That has nothing to do with your question, but that would be a more purposeful leglislation IMO.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:12 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,780,315 times
I have a feeling it won't go through as it has been suggested in the past but the idea is has it's cons.

You have to take into account all the people that will be displaced. You also have to take into account all that low income housing will be relocated to low income areas. It's bad enough some neighborhoods have such high concentration. Now they will have even more. Shutting down the few PJ's in Midtown and moving them to East NY and the South Bronx is not the greatest idea but what this city has been setting up. It's already being done using other low income housing programs.

We have enough homeless families as it is...

As for big screen TV's, your right I see them in public housing apartments but that is no sign of wealth. For one nowadays they are very cheap and look at where they are putting their money...

And if this goes through, and all is said and done. The PJ's will need major overhauls to become market rate housing. If they are not torn down they will need the grounds to be completely redesigned, exterior facade face lifts, new plumbing, major interior asthestic improvements, new lighting, basically a lot of changes and repairs. Not to mention the bugs and mice will stil be a big problem.

We will also have even greater income disparity between neighborhoods and even more concentrated poverty.

In the end though, eventually this could happen. NYCHA is having hard economic times and the PJ's are only going to get worse in terms of maintaince. The perfect excuse to close some down. Just let the violation really rack up in those they want to get rid of if they have the means to. So eventually some complexes will close.

Those most at risk are developments like the Nathan Straus PJ's or Robbins Plaza PJ's in Manhattan located in high valued areas. The first is a small two building complex located just northwest of Stuy Town. There is another near it. East 23rd Streeet PJ's a single building. These two are at risk. The second mentioned the Robbins PJ's are for seniors and is located in on 70th and 1st Ave.

The bigger complexes in desireable areas I don't know. Chelsea PJ's are in a desireale neighborhood in terms of real estate. Crime is a big problem in this development considering it is so close to Times Square. I know the city would love to, but it's big. Big complex though. Amsterdam PJ's is another big complex in a desireable neighborhood, West Side.

On the Upper West Side there is a huge one Fredrick Douglas and a few more scattered around it but the I can't see them closing those. Maybe some of the smaller ones. Community will definately fight for those.

Areas they won't touch are north of E 96/W 110th. Way too many to displace. Huge complexes. You can close one but there will be another down the block so it's pointless.

Those along the east River in the LES. Too many.

Won't touch Red Hook PJ's, huge and isolated.

Won't touch Coney Island, too many.

Far Rock won't get touched, too many.

The Bronx, pretty much all the PJ's in the Bronx are in bad areas minus one senior complex in Country Club and a really big isolated complex is Throgs Neck way in the corner of the neighborhood. Has it's problems but it effects a small area. Pelham Pkwy and Marble Hill PJ's are in an areas not too bad but they are going down hill.

In Brooklyn, probably some smaller ones in more desireable areas of South Brooklyn.

Queens is at risk, same with Staten Island. Queensbridge and Stapleton are too big to close though along with a few others.

Last edited by Hustla718; 10-24-2007 at 06:31 PM..

Old 10-24-2007, 09:48 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,334,211 times
I've never even thought of that, but that might be a good solution. Do it kind of like welfare, make it 5-10 years and then you're done for life. Thats enough time to save up a little bit of money and get back on your feet. It would be pretty popular idea if the public could decide.

I doubt any of this will ever happen though. The PJs are kind of like the 3rd rail in the city, which is suprising since the vast majority of people all over the city hate the projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
How about limiting the amount of time a family may live in public housing? Oh and actually enforce the rule! I don't think anybody should be in public housing more than 2 maybe 3 years. I know people in public housing with 50 inch HDTV's and plush living rooms. It sounds crazy to those who don't know people in the PJ's, but its very real. That has nothing to do with your question, but that would be a more purposeful leglislation IMO.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:48 AM

4,436 posts, read 7,642,637 times
Due to the incompetence of the NYCHA, this is an idea whose time has come!

Also, give the residents a crack at owning their units at below market rate affordable prices. There are plenty of working class people with stable jobs who can afford a mortgage. Everyone in the PJ's ain't poor!

Huge renovations are in order, but PJs should NOT be torn down! Those buildings are too well built to have that happen, and PJs (at least in this city) have the best, most spacious layouts there is!

Old 10-25-2007, 09:17 AM

33,400 posts, read 46,840,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
good idea but it wont work...
people will pull off all kinds of scams to stay in public housing.....and then again, the waiting list is already 2-3 years....if there is a limit it should be 10 years. and 50 inch HDTVs and plush living rooms in the Js? that only means 1 of 2 things: nice fat tax return courtesy of earned income tax credits or hustling.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:44 PM

943 posts, read 4,247,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
good idea but it wont work...
people will pull off all kinds of scams to stay in public housing.....and then again, the waiting list is already 2-3 years....if there is a limit it should be 10 years. and 50 inch HDTVs and plush living rooms in the Js? that only means 1 of 2 things: nice fat tax return courtesy of earned income tax credits or hustling.

Trust me I know all the scams I grew up around and know a boatload of people in the projects. I could go on and on. I also don't believe in giving in to scammers and hustlers. That is like saying "if you lock one up there will be another one up to take the corner tomorrow", very true, but that gives you no right as a public official not to do your job. I can't speak for all cities, but a new york cop can literally make an arrest whenever they want, but when we have attitudes like that we are already defeated. If they actually paid NYC cops a fair salary I would never shut up about that topic, but they get a pass because their compensation is completely unrealistic for decent work performance; Whoever in the city that would be responsible for keeping track of the pj's would have to get on their job. You might need to pay a few investigators to go around the city and keep track of it, but if you stay on top of it change will come.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 21,490 times
I am a working with low income single mother. What will happened to me and other residents like me if my building will be sold? I won't be able to pay for apartment full amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City