Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 AM

31,896 posts, read 34,405,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
You forgot about Dog Parks and Fancy Pet Stores and Organic Food Markets lol
Yeah, that was a big ommission. I'm convinced an all out war will erupt in Brooklyn in the next three years over dog parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 11:22 AM

235 posts, read 372,506 times
Say what you will and laugh all about it now. But Bedford-Stuyvesant is Gentrifying. In 10 years, a big part of it, will probably feel like an extension of Clinton Hill.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:38 PM

36,917 posts, read 38,855,782 times
What about a Thai restaurant and a Japanese restaurant (both of them probably run by Koreans or Chinese people)?

Old 03-07-2013, 04:07 PM

31,896 posts, read 34,405,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokistic View Post
Say what you will and laugh all about it now. But Bedford-Stuyvesant is Gentrifying. In 10 years, a big part of it, will probably feel like an extension of Clinton Hill.
Ehhhh...that's a lot of hood to clear out.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:44 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,001,409 times
Clinton Hill is definitely expanding, but the further you go from any of the train lines the harder it would be for gentrification.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:27 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,155,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yeah, that was a big ommission. I'm convinced an all out war will erupt in Brooklyn in the next three years over dog parks.
lol I wouldn't be surprised if this happens in D.C. too.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,823,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Clinton Hill is definitely expanding, but the further you go from any of the train lines the harder it would be for gentrification.
The A and G go through Bedstuy, as does the J. And yes, opening up pharmacies is a stage of gentrification. An area is undergoing investment and urban renewal when things like pharmacies, decent grocery stores, and other, better facilities start opening up . There is a YMCA in Bedstuy, complete with a pool now.

I remember when I lived on Greene and Nostrand. I was surprised to see a white girl get off the train for the first time (in 2007) Later on, more cafes opened up (the area already had a Home Depot, bank branches, grocery stores). A lot of run down buildings got gutted and became condos. You then noticed a decent sized white population, in a couple of years.

Parts of Bedstuy, according to the NY Times, are less than 50% black.

How Gentrification is Effecting One Block in Bedford-Stuyvesant

Here is an article from the New York Times about the soaring white population in Bedstuy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/05/ny...pagewanted=all

So yes, Bedstuy is gentrifying. One problem with some people on a forum like this is once they form an opinion, no amount of evidence presented can convince them. The person is not rational at all, but likes to be "right" by screaming the loudest.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:44 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,588,899 times
Its reverting back to what it once was upwards of the late 50's/early 60's when a large amount of the residents were Europeans.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:30 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,938,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The A and G go through Bedstuy, as does the J. And yes, opening up pharmacies is a stage of gentrification. An area is undergoing investment and urban renewal when things like pharmacies, decent grocery stores, and other, better facilities start opening up . There is a YMCA in Bedstuy, complete with a pool now.

I remember when I lived on Greene and Nostrand. I was surprised to see a white girl get off the train for the first time (in 2007) Later on, more cafes opened up (the area already had a Home Depot, bank branches, grocery stores). A lot of run down buildings got gutted and became condos. You then noticed a decent sized white population, in a couple of years.

Parts of Bedstuy, according to the NY Times, are less than 50% black.

How Gentrification is Effecting One Block in Bedford-Stuyvesant

Here is an article from the New York Times about the soaring white population in Bedstuy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/05/ny...pagewanted=all

So yes, Bedstuy is gentrifying. One problem with some people on a forum like this is once they form an opinion, no amount of evidence presented can convince them. The person is not rational at all, but likes to be "right" by screaming the loudest.
I wouldn't mix the words urban renewal and gentrification in the same paragraph. Urban renewal and gentrification are two different things.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:46 AM

23,709 posts, read 30,588,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I wouldn't mix the words urban renewal and gentrification in the same paragraph. Urban renewal and gentrification are two different things.
For Bed-Stuy and Brownsville it is a mixture of both. They are being renewed to a past state with a fresher look and they are also being gentrified by some developers who had roots in the neighborhoods a few generations ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City