Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:09 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times

Advertisements

Jcoltrane, there is a difference between "supporting a bar" and "getting raped on a $15 martini." I support the venue, hold events there, go to other events there, eat, socialize, and patronize the place...what I won't do is pay $15 for a martini or $7 for a Bronx Pale Ale. It's a personal choice, others are free to pay $30 for a martini if they like....and if I were on a fancy rooftop with epic views, hobnobbing with trendy Euro and Latin American party hoppers, I am happy to pay the price. I don't see the reason to spend that much at Clocktower...not yet at least.

Secondly, the point isn't to bring downtown way uptown..the point is to have a better uptown..not a clone of downtown. Uptown is distinct, and should develop its own identity, and it is. The cure for "uptown" is not the Manhattanization of the borough, but the development of its unique attractions, strengths, and appeal so the Bronx is better, and not just a copycat (see Brooklyn's mistake on that).

I support change, not cloning. I do enjoy downtown, my favorites being the LES and meatpacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 10:14 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
I find a lot of the eateries in the Bronx charge Manhattan prices now. Don't know what to make of that. I guess it's a sign rents are going up. The other day I was taken aback when a lunch is now $8 and a roasted chiken $10 at El Valle on Jerome off Fordham.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:52 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
If you are not so sure, then what?

That there was more to the story than the place succumbing to damage from Sandy.

sobroguy pretty much confirmed my suspicion.Landlord wants them out no matter what.The owners of the place contributed to their own demise by greatly increasing their landlord's property value and potential rental income.

Old 03-07-2013, 06:43 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Even the guy Alex who was one of the owners of bruckner bar and grill told me there is no chance that bbg will open up again due to legal battles with the property owner. I really miss their long island ice teas, those things were a killer.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:23 AM

That does not mean another greta bar won't open....Bruckner's replacement could be good..and maybe Alex will open another place too..so in the end we get even more great places.

Only time will tell..I would not count out the Bruckner, or some version of it owned by Alex, opening in another spot in the area. I assume that the current place will be some sort of bar again...could be a win for everyone.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
That does not mean another greta bar won't open....Bruckner's replacement could be good..and maybe Alex will open another place too..so in the end we get even more great places.

Only time will tell..I would not count out the Bruckner, or some version of it owned by Alex, opening in another spot in the area. I assume that the current place will be some sort of bar again...could be a win for everyone.
Another place will most likely open up in the wake of Bruckner Bar and Grill closing, thats the most likely scenario

Old 03-08-2013, 11:18 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Jcoltrane, there is a difference between "supporting a bar" and "getting raped on a $15 martini." I support the venue, hold events there, go to other events there, eat, socialize, and patronize the place...what I won't do is pay $15 for a martini or $7 for a Bronx Pale Ale. It's a personal choice, others are free to pay $30 for a martini if they like....and if I were on a fancy rooftop with epic views, hobnobbing with trendy Euro and Latin American party hoppers, I am happy to pay the price. I don't see the reason to spend that much at Clocktower...not yet at least.
Soborguy, your logic and reasoning never ceases to amaze me!

Dude, THINK about it! The sort of rooftop fancy place you describe worthy of your overpriced patronage, DO they really need you patronage? What are you really paying for? Anything of true substance and worth? If such a place goes out of business in the middle of Manhattan, is there any harm to the Manhattan midtown community?

Now, think on the Bruckner bar. What is its true value to the community, beyond being simply a bar? The fact of the matter is that the place serves a function far greater to the community, and to the future well being and uplUPLIFT of the community than some fancy rooftop bar in midtown could ever have.

The **success** of the Bruckner Bar lead to the opening of the other eateries and watering hoels, few as they are, but two or three hundred fold more than 10 years ago.

The Bruckner Bar makes the area attractive to JUST the sort of people YOU keep trying to get to look at The Bronx, the South Bronx with a new light.

You're a LL as you keep saying, the Bruckner Bar enhances your property value. Its demise decreases it.

So, $7 beer (which is NOT expensive by any stretch, except by ghetto logic), as well as the $15 Martini are simply investments into the future of your neighborhood and to your enhanced property value!

I suggest a fundraiser for the bar, perhaps raising a month or two of rent will be enough to get them by.

Why do you think they charge those prices??? For fun? It is because it is what it take to meet their monthly nut, and make a worthwile profit.

I mean the place had a fair crowd, but it wasn't precisely jumping, and moreover it has limited seating. So with a smallish crowd, mostly a late afternoon evening crowd, maybe 4 days of fair to good busines, they gotta meet their nut.

I imagine you must equate the place with having the same expenses as some lame Bronx hole in the wall ghetto bar full of working class and welfare folks, where a cheap beer and watered shot costs $5!

Old 03-08-2013, 11:24 AM

Maybe for you $7 is "cheap", and $15 for a martini is a bargain...but I think they are both way inflated. I am happy to support the business, but not when they are blatantly gouging this way. And whether I am a property owner or not is irrelevant to this conversation....inflated prices is inflated prices to an owner or renter. Note: I am speaking of Clocktower, not Bruckner Bar. Bruckner was also getting expensive, $8 for a beer and $9 for a glass of cheap wine...the only time I (and others) would drink there as a result is during the happy hour.

I am not sure where you get beer, but plenty of great places all over this city, and in uber prime Manhattan districts charge $5-$6 for beer....so why would I pay more, particularly for the local Bronx beer!!!!!! I support the business, I do not support getting raped however.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:09 PM

23 posts, read 45,020 times
Pretty bummed about it too!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Maybe for you $7 is "cheap", and $15 for a martini is a bargain...but I think they are both way inflated. I am happy to support the business, but not when they are blatantly gouging this way. And whether I am a property owner or not is irrelevant to this conversation....inflated prices is inflated prices to an owner or renter. Note: I am speaking of Clocktower, not Bruckner Bar. Bruckner was also getting expensive, $8 for a beer and $9 for a glass of cheap wine...the only time I (and others) would drink there as a result is during the happy hour.

I am not sure where you get beer, but plenty of great places all over this city, and in uber prime Manhattan districts charge $5-$6 for beer....so why would I pay more, particularly for the local Bronx beer!!!!!! I support the business, I do not support getting raped however.
The prices at Clock Tower is similar or on par to what drinks go for in Chelsea and Meatpacking district these days. I would rather just buy a regular 6 pack or buying a bottle at a liquor store for a few extra bucks insteaed of paying for an over priced drink regardless if its in Mott Haven, Williamsburg, Harlem, Meat Packing District, Astoria. Sometimes I even find Sushi at Ceetay to be a bit pricey at times. In any of these establishments happy hour will be your best friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekedancin View Post
Pretty bummed about it too!
Dont be bummed out Zeke. I just spoke with Alex, he said that the case is still on going and he is still trying to fight to keep Bruckner bar and Grill open or should I say reopen in the future, but year the battle is between him and the property owner who leases the space to Bruckner Bar and Grill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City