Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:02 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

and my biggers peeve is i use the word retard a lot, and it offends some people, i dont care. it is freedom of speech and I choose to use that word.
Use of the word "retard" is not grammatically incorrect, but profoundly inhumane.

It should be offensive to actually retarded people, who have little choice about where they arrived in life, mental retardation always being a circumstance of birth. Denigrating them is, again, profoundly cruel and inhumane. Doing so to demonstrate some position above "pc," political correctness being, in all its stupidity, something I also dislike very much, is the act of a very selfish or very unaware person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 10:14 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,635,068 times
well, there are times when the word retarded needs to be used.

Like our mayor is a retard for comming up with a soda ban.

I rest my case.

Oh, and again, I don't care if the words offends anyone, thats the beauty of expressing oneself on an annonymis message board out in cyber world.

While i do not mean to be cruel. I simply do not care.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Absolutely true.
Seriously those CUNY entrance exams are a joke. Its easy to pass those things especially the reading comprehension and writing portions, math is a bit different. I remember ten years ago taking the reading and writing portions which I passed, I narrowly failed the math ended up taking a free summer remedial course which I passed anyway. Even during the summer course fellow students wanted to cheat off of me sheet. I can never forget that day when I took those entrance exams, one kid who wore a uniform from a private school, he looked like Harry Potter, he was asking me for answers. From then on I realized that one can get the best education paid for by mommy and daddy, and still remain dumb!

Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

While i do not mean to be cruel. I simply do not care.
No doubt, our current country is populated by people who "simply do not care."

Old 03-12-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Seriously those CUNY entrance exams are a joke. Its easy to pass those things especially the reading comprehension and writing portions, math is a bit different. I remember ten years ago taking the reading and writing portions which I passed, I narrowly failed the math ended up taking a free summer remedial course which I passed anyway. Even during the summer course fellow students wanted to cheat off of me sheet. I can never forget that day when I took those entrance exams, one kid who wore a uniform from a private school, he looked like Harry Potter, he was asking me for answers. From then on I realized that one can get the best education paid for by mommy and daddy, and still remain dumb!
It is not easy for everyone to pass - that's the thing.
Unfortunately, I am quite familiar with the entrance exams. But I suppose they need to start somewhere.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:32 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Have you been to college? While networking is an important function and perhaps the most important function, you do have quite a bit of work to do.

And you have quite a bit to learn. Have you ever been sick? I'm sure you appreciated that the doctor knew medicine. If you have legal trouble, you'd want a compotent lawyer. If you need an accounting, you'd certainly want one knowledgeable in that field. If you're driving across a bridge, you'd want it to be well designed by the engineers (or else it could collapse).
Wow...getting personal over a difference of opinion huh?....lol...after you finish your anger management classes, you could stand to repeat a few of those remedial grammar courses you flunked clearly yourself...

Quote:
And also when people do network in those VIP circles, you know's intelligent and who knows what their doing. I went to a birthday party yesterday, and I met a number of people who were software engineers, various things in film, law students, etc. And you can just tell that these people definitely did well academically, yet at the same time they had great social skills/networking.

Both are actually important if you want to establish yourself in a number of high paying fields.
Meh, not so much...college was cool...I certainly got the most out of it academically and athletically...but there's more than one way to skin a cat or to advance professionally...in this case, I think it wise if these kids dont concern themselves as much with these worthless metrics, and focus more on networking, using the internet/social media to learn as much as possible...

agree to disagree

Last edited by soletaire; 03-12-2013 at 12:48 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 02:59 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Wow...getting personal over a difference of opinion huh?....lol...after you finish your anger management classes, you could stand to repeat a few of those remedial grammar courses you flunked clearly yourself...

Meh, not so much...college was cool...I certainly got the most out of it academically and athletically...but there's more than one way to skin a cat or to advance professionally...in this case, I think it wise if these kids dont concern themselves as much with these worthless metrics, and focus more on networking, using the internet/social media to learn as much as possible...

agree to disagree

Actually, I graduated from Cornell University. On paper assignments I probably used the spell checking function on my word processing program.

Again, really important people such as President Obama and many CEOs don't worry themselves or have to worry themselves over such trivia. They have secretaries and other underlings to worry about that. Even in publishing, its the lower level editorial assistants who have to clear up little errors in BOOKS APPROVED for PUBLISHING.

Take someone like Hillary Clinton or Bill Clinton, both of whom have written books. Do you think their manuscript had to be perfect? Far from it, the name alone will sell. So someone else worried about such trivia as grammar.

And that's simply the way those things go. If you're that obsessed with it, you reveal yourself for a menial.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:37 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Actually, I graduated from Cornell University. On paper assignments I probably used the spell checking function on my word processing program.

Again, really important people such as President Obama and many CEOs don't worry themselves or have to worry themselves over such trivia. They have secretaries and other underlings to worry about that. Even in publishing, its the lower level editorial assistants who have to clear up little errors in BOOKS APPROVED for PUBLISHING.

Take someone like Hillary Clinton or Bill Clinton, both of whom have written books. Do you think their manuscript had to be perfect? Far from it, the name alone will sell. So someone else worried about such trivia as grammar.

And that's simply the way those things go. If you're that obsessed with it, you reveal yourself for a menial.

Hey bud, dont get mad at me...you're the one who was trying to call others dumb, and then you sit there and cant even spell the word competent, competently..lmao...dont try to downplay it as "trivial" now, and try to shuffle that off on me...as far as Im concerned some homeless man could wipe his ass with your little cornell degree...because all that tells me is that you barely scraped through some school that you thought would make you appear to be a genius once you finished from it...But whatever, I personally could careless if some dude who lacks the social skills to engage in intelligent debate and who is too sorry and/or dumb to spell the word competent thinks that Im menial...your goofy, illiterate ass is sitting there bursting a vein because someone disagrees with you and then you have the nerve to compare your remedial, f*cked up penmanship to the president and other people who actually have sense. ..b*tch please...lol

Last edited by soletaire; 03-13-2013 at 05:51 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 05:39 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Occupy wall street.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:58 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,538,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
I didn't take offence. It doesn't matter to me. People that crib about spelling/grammar regarding anonymous posts on the internet are either hypercritical, neurotic, control freaks or quite possibly insecure. Only insecure people like to constantly turn the attention to someone else because this enables them to take the attention off of their "flaws" and place the attention onto someone elses.

Again, you have not added anything of substance to the thread. My point is proven. Thanks!
they are usually racists who cant back their arguments so resort to making the poster look ignorant. This is not a serious presentation and many post while multi tasking, so have scant time to spell check, typo check, etc.

Maybe lonely angry old men can do all of this. The rest of us are busy doing other things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City