Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 06:01 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
The failure of the public school system has to do more with the failure of parenting children properly. .

I very much doubt 80% cant parent. The NYC Public School system has serious flaws and its nonsensical to suggest otherwise. This is why the most ambitious parents send their kids elsewhere, if the kids cant get into the very best public schools, and if they can afford it.

My contact with these kids started in the 80s when there was no internet, texting, etc and conditions were as bad, maybe even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 06:25 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Actually, I graduated from Cornell University. On paper assignments I probably used the spell checking function on my word processing program.

Again, really important people such as President Obama and many CEOs don't worry themselves or have to worry themselves over such trivia. They have secretaries and other underlings to worry about that. Even in publishing, its the lower level editorial assistants who have to clear up little errors in BOOKS APPROVED for PUBLISHING.

Take someone like Hillary Clinton or Bill Clinton, both of whom have written books. Do you think their manuscript had to be perfect? Far from it, the name alone will sell. So someone else worried about such trivia as grammar.

And that's simply the way those things go. If you're that obsessed with it, you reveal yourself for a menial.

This is entirely wrong, and I do not even have the energy to explain why.
The fact that you may have graduated from Cornell with such an attitude is actually disturbing.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
The fact that you may have graduated from Cornell with such an attitude is actually disturbing.

There is nothing wrong with it. What bothers me, is how the orginal poster who pointed out the spelling mistake had nothing to say about the actual topic. Seems like his only intent was to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. Like I said before, the guy has issues.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:19 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
What bothers me, is how the orginal poster
What bothered me, was that someone who was claiming to have been an honor student in English, not in need of a remedial class, was incapable of crafting gramatically proper sentences. Perhaps the comment, that the exams are also jokes, explains your progress.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
What bothered me, was that someone who was claiming to have been an honor student in English, not in need of a remedial class, was incapable of crafting gramatically proper sentences. Perhaps the comment, that the exams are also jokes, explains your progress.

Again nothing of substance to add to the thread. Put me in a professional environment and I'll run laps around you. Trust me. Like I said before, it's easy to confuse being lazy and incompetent.

People that crib about spelling/grammar regarding anonymous posts on the internet are either hypercritical, neurotic, control freaks or quite possibly insecure. Only insecure people like to constantly turn the attention to someone else because this enables them to take the attention off of their "flaws" and place the attention onto someone elses.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:37 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Its not entirely wrong. I've worked in publishing myself, I've personally work with and known editors, editorial assistants, and fact checkers.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:03 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I don't know that Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg necessarily have the best grammar.

I think they have their secretaries worry about that trivia. Both men before they dropped out of Harvard were tech guys, not linguistics majors.

Showing your grammar is better than someone else on an internet forum is so whatever. It doesn't show how successful you are in life. It doesn't demonstrate anything at all. It reminds me of a former friend of mine. He was a well read guy, arguing how well read he was. Unfortunately he had no job. He has no degree. he lives in a halfway house for people who just got out of jail, have severe mental or physical problems, have Aids,etc. But hey, he reads esoteric books (esoteric means known to very few). It basically shows that's all he has in life, a false sense of superiority which he uses to mask up the truth that he is a total failure.
I don't know about Mark Z, but if you listen to Gates in an interview, he's very articulate. If he was not good in English in his early years, he certainly realized how important it was later in life.

We are talking about rudimentary, fundamental English here, the sort that we should have all learned in high school. Basic communication skills and math skills - we should each know these things before getting our high school diploma.

For those who care, there are rules for when to use 'were' and 'was'.

If you wish to express a wish or a possible situation that is not currently true, use 'were'.

"Were" used this way is usually used with words like 'if' and 'wish' and is called the subjunctive mood.

Please don't think that I am trying to be insulting or superior. My husband and I often check these things with each other. We think it's only being helpful. I don't assume that a person who corrects my English grammar or spelling is acting from a negative viewpoint. I assume that this person is trying to help me, which is usually the truth.

Last edited by goldengrain; 03-14-2013 at 09:45 AM..

Old 03-14-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Put me in a professional environment and I'll run laps around you. Trust me.
Doubtful.
Quote:
Like I said before, it's easy to confuse being lazy and incompetent.
In your case, it's easy to be both. Try to work on "like" and "as" today.
Quote:
boldface hissyfit
Truth hurts, eh?

Old 03-15-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Doubtful.

In your case, it's easy to be both. Try to work on "like" and "as" today.

Truth hurts, eh?

Nothing to add to the thread huh? So, I guess you were trolling?

Old 03-15-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Nothing to add to the thread huh?
What did you add? A poorly composed personal anecdote, about how your Honors English pedigree was overlooked, until you supposedly passed an exam to avoid the remedial class?
An unsubstantiated claim that CUNY somehow has a financial motive for placing students in remedial classes?

The OP itself says nothing new:
‘Unprepared’ city grads pack CUNY’s remediation rolls - NYPOST.com
Many entering CUNY students failed placement exams last year - NY Daily News
http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.230...21101772062423

Now, go away, before I taunt you a second time!

Last edited by bigjake54; 03-15-2013 at 09:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City