Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 05:57 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
Pretty gritty over there
"Gritty" is an adjective I would also use. It gets tired.

On the other hand, if you are buying, this area will change. Hard to know how quickly, but change it will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 05:57 PM

4 posts, read 52,524 times
Well, I have a pending offer on an apartment on 113 and Frederick Douglass Blvd, but my only caveat with that apartment is that it is 200 sq. ft. smaller than the one on 135th.

But we'll see what happens, if the offer goes through I'm probably going to stick with that particular one on 113th because I have no major complaints about anything else in the building or the area.

Last edited by conconconnie; 03-09-2013 at 06:59 PM..

Old 03-09-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
why not buy in hoboken? if you want to buy i would buy in morningside heights..
Hoboken is generally as expensive as downtown Manhattan, the exception being that you can find steals in Hoboken.

I was going to suggest west of this area also.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conconconnie View Post
Well, I have a pending offer on an apartment on 113 and Frederick Douglass Blvd, but my only caveat with that apartment is that it is 200 sq. ft. much smaller than the one on 135th.

But we'll see what happens, if the offer goes through I'm probably going to stick with that particular one on 113th because I have no major complaints about anything else in the building or the area.
The challenge for the north property area will be the project complexes, which are probably not going anywhere in spite of the dreams and wishes you will sometimes see here. I'm sure the area will change, but perhaps not as much as will be the case below 125th. But who knows. As I mentioned, there have been several very significant purchases and I would imagine there will be more.

On FDB social-service housing is rapidly diminishing, although some problem blocks remain, 114th for example - but you probably know that. We have several good friends on 113th off FDB.

In addition, if you are buying, I would DEFINITELY investigate the buildings adjacent. Do not believe what people tell you. Research it yourself.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:11 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,083,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Hoboken is generally as expensive as downtown Manhattan, the exception being that you can find steals in Hoboken.

I was going to suggest west of this area also.
I agree with Hoboken being expensive but you can find steals like you said. I will hopefully will be moving there in 2014. I have lived in Spanish Harlem (144 st), 2 Areas in Washington Heights (179 st West, 186st in Audubon). I am done with NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
The challenge for the north property area will be the project complexes, which are probably not going anywhere in spite of the dreams and wishes you will sometimes see here. I'm sure the area will change, but perhaps not as much as will be the case below 125th. But who knows. As I mentioned, there have been several very significant purchases and I would imagine there will be more.

On FDB social-service housing is rapidly diminishing, although some problem blocks remain, 114th for example - but you probably know that. We have several good friends on 113th off FDB.

In addition, if you are buying, I would DEFINITELY investigate the buildings adjacent. Do not believe what people tell you. Research it yourself.
I agree. Go to the areas and spend a day there. Pick a nice Sunny Saturday.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I agree with Hoboken being expensive but you can find steals like you said. I will hopefully will be moving there in 2014. I have lived in Spanish Harlem (144 st), 2 Areas in Washington Heights (179 st West, 186st in Audubon). I am done with NYC.

I agree. Go to the areas and spend a day there. Pick a nice Sunny Saturday.
Good advice - and do start at 125th street and walk up to get a feel of the whole area. By research, though, I mean look at the paperwork to determine the owners and histories of the adjacent properties - are they the usual slumlords, which means ghetto tenants ? Are they social-service organizations ? They try to hide this but once you know the names you can tell. The slumlords will sell when things pick up in an area, but the social-service buildings may be around for a while.

You can do all of this research online.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:22 AM

24 posts, read 45,280 times
I just moved to Harlem a couple months ago and am renting.

I was looking at an apartment on St Nicholas just below 130th. I visited lots of times of day and ultimately decided to take another apartment (off Lenox/upper teens). I was very comfortable around the St Nicholas apt during the day and early evening but not as comfortable later at night because the stores and shops close. Although I work days and rarely am out at 3am, I did want somewhere I would feel comfortable walking home alone after dinner at 11ish. For that apartment, I would have been using the 125th st subway stop rather than the 135th street stop. The 125th street stop is über convenient and safe. Fewer conveniences at 135. There's a really great bistro on St Nich at 127th.

All that said, I might have made a different choice if I was buying rather than renting. I wanted something that was perfect now, rather than something that would grow with me. If you look at what has happened along FDB below 125th, it seems natural that it will continue to expand upward in the coming years -- especially with the new developers pouring $ into renovating up along that strip north of 125. Look at what happened on Lenox from 125 to 135 -- getting pricey and poshing up.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:35 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,348 times
I've been doing the music circuit, going around Harlem with my instrument. I'm not saying things are perfect, or won't happen, but I have to say, that I don't feel "unsafe" anymore in any corner of that neighborhood!

I remember as a kid, staying with my cousins in the Wagner projects, walking to the Apollo to see the Sylvers (The Apollo was their regular gig!). We're coming home going through vacant lots, and almost getting robbed! (late 70s).

I also remember going to City College to check out the Doc Turner Classic hoops Tournament (mid 80s).

Going through Harlem, now, is nowhere near as tense as them days! And yes, I also do my hanging out at either Red Rooster, Creole Lounge, Shell's or Perks! Just my view, though!

Old 04-25-2013, 10:15 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
The area is predominantly Black and the rest of the make-up being Latino. Other minorities make a small percentage. (white, asian, indian,etc). It is really Urban in comparison to other neighborhoods (UWS, UES, LES, etc) The urban culture brings the street hustle, gangs/drug activity, thugs/thug mamis, etc.
Is there any other term besides "urban" that can be used? Urban refers to how built-up and walkable an area is, and those areas are just as built-up (if not moreso) than Harlem.

Quote:
I have lived in Spanish Harlem (144 st), 2 Areas in Washington Heights (179 st West, 186st in Audubon). I am done with NYC.
Spanish Harlem is on the east side, so it only goes up to around 128th or so, because you have the river in the way. If you were living in a Hispanic part of Harlem by 144th, that would be the west side, which is Hamilton Heights.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:21 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
I recently rented an apt to a young brazilian girl on 135st and adam clayton 1br for $1499 and she loves the area. Lots of changes SLOWLY happening, SLOWLY is the key word, real slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City