Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 04:35 PM

4 posts, read 52,473 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm considering an apartment on 135th between Frederick Douglass and Adam Clayton Powell Boulevards and wanted to inquire about the safety in that area from people who are more familiar. I'm an Asian-American female working professional in my mid-20's, and I have a moderately social lifestyle so I do foresee coming home late at night (in which case, I'd probably take a cab home past 11 pm). I will be living alone.

Based on reading previous threads about Harlem, I understand that safety varies from block to block and the immediate area of St. Nicholas Park can be iffy during the night (and day?) and I would be taking the C train from the station at 135th and St. Nicholas to get to and from my workplace. It would be great if I could get some more informed opinions of the area in the past few months.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by conconconnie; 03-09-2013 at 05:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 05:21 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conconconnie View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm considering an apartment on 135th between Frederick Douglass and Adam Clayton Powell Boulevards and wanted to inquire about the safety in that area from people who are more familiar. I'm an Asian-American working professional in my mid-20's, and I have a moderately social lifestyle so I do foresee coming home late at night (in which case, I'd probably take a cab home past 11 pm). I will be living alone.

Based on reading previous threads about Harlem, I understand that safety varies from block to block and the immediate area of St. Nicholas Park can be iffy during the night (and day?) and I would be taking the C train from the station at 135th and St. Nicholas to get to and from my workplace. It would be great if I could get some more informed opinions of the area in the past few months.

Thank you for your help!
I truly dislike this area, not just safety-wise but quality-of-life-wise.
I can say the following, though. A few of the most problematic buildings on St. Nicholas and FDB were bought a year ago by a major developer, part of a large portfolio, and they are being cleaned out - literally. This will change the area quite a bit. I noticed that they are already marketing very nice (inside) renovated apartments in one of the complexes. I was astonished at the rents because most of the buildings are infested with bedbugs.
There are many projects nearby and there is a lot of social-service housing around ...
You might consider checking out FDB to 125th, walking the length. What you will see there shows up in all of the blocks around. See if you can deal with that. Most of the buildings below 133rd on FDB are social-service buildings, I believe they were trying to turn one around.
Regarding FDB, on the other hand, an infamous drug "gallery" building was bought five years ago and gutted. The apartments are nice, I noticed that they keep listing them and lowering the prices. This is on 134th and FDB, east corner.
On ACP there were some major guns/drugs/whatever-else busts a year ago. Hard to know if that energy is still around.
Someone else described this general area as "multi-racial" - patently false, if that matters to you.

I would recommend: Checking the HPD website for building violations. This can mean a bad landlord, or trouble-making tenants. Be sure to look at the housing court actions.

Check the bedbug registry for your building.

Find out who lives in the buildings nearby, especially next door. This can be a factor for safety, and it certainly is one for quality-of-life. Go to the building department website (ACRIS) and find out the owners of adjacent properties - you get to know the "social service" names.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:23 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
The area is predominantly Black and the rest of the make-up being Latino. Other minorities make a small percentage. (white, asian, indian,etc). It is really Urban in comparison to other neighborhoods (UWS, UES, LES, etc) The urban culture brings the street hustle, gangs/drug activity, thugs/thug mamis, etc. The people living in Harlem are generally working class. IMO, no one will bother you unless you give them a reason or they deem you an easy victim. There are quality of life issues in Harlem, (noise, gangs/drug activity/groups of youths having "fun"/garbage, numerous housing projects, etc) The summertime is when the neighborhood becomes HOT. People are out and about and the QOL issues increases. The best way to determine if you fit in the neighborhood is to check it out for yourself. Spend a nice Sunny Saturday around the neighborhood.

are you a chick or a dude?? are you a native ny or a resident of a city similar to nyc?

If a chick, then you have to be prepared for aggressive catcalls.

If you're a dude, then you have to be prepared to be "tested" by the local dudes. (not frequently)

Old 03-09-2013, 05:28 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
The area is predominantly Black and the rest of the make-up being Latino. Other minorities make a small percentage. (white, asian, indian,etc). It is really Urban in comparison to other neighborhoods (UWS, UES, LES, etc) The urban culture brings the street hustle, gangs/drug activity, thugs/thug mamis, etc. The people living in Harlem are generally working class. IMO, no one will bother you unless you give them a reason or they deem you an easy victim. There are quality of life issues in Harlem, (noise, gangs/drug activity/groups of youths having "fun"/garbage, numerous housing projects, etc) The summertime is when the neighborhood becomes HOT. People are out and about and the QOL issues increases. The best way to determine if you fit in the neighborhood is to check it out for yourself. Spend a nice Sunny Saturday around the neighborhood.

are you a chick or a dude?? are you a native ny or a resident of a city similar to nyc?

If you're a dude, then you have to be prepared to be "tested" by the local dudes. (not frequently)
We lived a block away for ten years and I recall that the Latino population was virtually nil - three years ago.

Has this changed ?

Old 03-09-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
We lived a block away for ten years and I recall that the Latino population was virtually nil - three years ago.

Has this changed ?
Not the specific area that the OP mention but the area in general; Black followed by Latinos followed by a small % of everything else. Also, there is a lot of dark skin Latinos (morenos) that live in that area and can blend in.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post

I kind of assumed my username would give me away as a girl, but yes, I'm a girl. Forgot to mention that.

I've been living with my parents in the NJ suburbs, but it's time to move out. I've spent summers subletting in East Williamsburg/Bushwick off the Montrose L stop, if you could consider that area is comparable to 135th.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:44 PM

912 posts, read 2,098,594 times
What's your budget

Old 03-09-2013, 05:45 PM

I'm going to be buying, so this is a place that I need to have space in and should be able to spend the next few years.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:48 PM

912 posts, read 2,098,594 times
Pretty gritty over there

Old 03-09-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conconconnie View Post
I'm going to be buying, so this is a place that I need to have space in and should be able to spend the next few years.
why not buy in hoboken? if you want to buy i would buy in morningside heights..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City