Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 06:58 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rareandlegendary View Post

Anyway, I don't have jobs lined up yet but I currently am a social media manager and getting a little low-balled here in Miami. But looking at classifieds on craigslist, careerbuilder, etc I could probably rake in an easy 35k-40k if I line up the right job. How is the tech / internet industry like in NYC? It is terrible in Miami. I know West Coast is the best for tech jobs but NYC can't be too far off.
I've worked in the media/tech/Internet industry in NYC since 2001 so I'd say I know a thing or two about the job outlook. The digital tech industry in NYC is very big. People inccorectly assume Cali is the best place for this but thats wrong. We have our own AdTech conference each year that rivals the one in San Fran. Also keep in mind, all of the major media and advertising companies are rooted here and all of them have digital divisions. Not to mention that all of the well known west coast Internet/tech (facebook, google, microsoft, etc) have huge offices here. There are also hundreds and hundreds of start up companies here that are solely digital/Internet in nature. In fact, I know many that focus on social media measurement, management, etc. There is a great site called Made in NY that gives you the landscape, complete with job listings, for digital start ups in NYC. Also, once you get here, I'd recommend you speak with recruiters that only focus on digital. AC Lion is one such recruitment firm. $40K is around what you're looking at for entry level media but if you want to up the income, I'd suggest you look to moving into media sales, your income would triple (or quadruple if you're good

Some links
Made in NY We Are Made In NY | Learn, Launch and Find a Job in NYC Tech
AC Lion http NY Digital Media Executive Search, Recruiters, Sales, Marketing
Article about the nyc tech industry
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/10/ny...udy-finds.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Tech sector is growing in NYC. I would make sure to up your overall computer as well as programming skills if you haven't already done so to butress the management skills you gained in Miami.
There is a misconception that "Internet tech" only means programming. There is an entire digital job ecosystem that lives outside of programming.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,247,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rareandlegendary View Post
I could probably rake in an easy 35k-40k
First make doubled that amount and then come to NYC

Old 03-21-2013, 02:49 PM

30 posts, read 39,524 times
You could easily rent in that price range on Staten Island, a studio or a 1 bedroom, even in a good neighborhood. There's even parking. There's even a small but lively arts/music scene here. The drawback is that the commute takes time. Unless you drive into the city (traffic can be a killer. I used to travel to Washington Heights mid day and found it quicker to drive the Bayonne Bridge, NJ Turnpike and the George Washington Bridge, than to get stuck on the overcrowded Gowanus "Expressway" to the Brooklyn Bridge, then FDR Drive), mass transit is a killer. 10-40 minutes on a bus or train to the ferry (which runs every half hour during the day, more during rush hours, on the hour at night), then whatever mass transit you use in Manhattan. There's always the Express buses, more expensive but quicker. Many apartments also refuse to rent to people with pets or smokers. You can look at SILive.com to see more about the area. It's the website of the local paper.

Last edited by moredogsplz; 03-21-2013 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: more information

Old 03-21-2013, 04:13 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Are you bananas? Move from miami?

Smh Do you really think nyc has a
better quality of life than that?
I think he's trying to get more career opportunities and make more money. Salaries aren't so great in Florida...also QOL being better is subjective. It depends what your preferences are.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:15 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
There is a misconception that "Internet tech" only means programming. There is an entire digital job ecosystem that lives outside of programming.
Yes you do make a valid point. But it never hurts to add some programming skills.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I think he's trying to get more career opportunities and make more money. Salaries aren't so great in Florida...also QOL being better is subjective. It depends what your preferences are.
That's the truth. My friend was forced to relocate to Miami because of work. She hated living down there so much that after a year, she asked to be relocated back to NY. The company said no so she quit! She found another job in NYC and promptly moved back.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moredogsplz View Post
You could easily rent in that price range on Staten Island, a studio or a 1 bedroom, even in a good neighborhood. There's even parking. There's even a small but lively arts/music scene here. The drawback is that the commute takes time. Unless you drive into the city (traffic can be a killer. I used to travel to Washington Heights mid day and found it quicker to drive the Bayonne Bridge, NJ Turnpike and the George Washington Bridge, than to get stuck on the overcrowded Gowanus "Expressway" to the Brooklyn Bridge, then FDR Drive), mass transit is a killer. 10-40 minutes on a bus or train to the ferry (which runs every half hour during the day, more during rush hours, on the hour at night), then whatever mass transit you use in Manhattan. There's always the Express buses, more expensive but quicker. Many apartments also refuse to rent to people with pets or smokers. You can look at SILive.com to see more about the area. It's the website of the local paper.
That commute is killer and would suck the life out of a newbie. Best bet would be to find a room mate situation somewhere in BK or Queens

Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moredogsplz View Post
OP is single, he likes to party, he don't like to drive. Staten Island is a strike-out on 5 out of 3.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:48 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,110,011 times
Anyone contemplating a move to New York is in for one big shock: HOUSING. It is expensive and the condition of the housing stock is poor in all 5 boroughs. Unless you can spend $1,700 or more for a one-bedroom, $1,400 for a studio, you will probably have a stained bathtub, noisy neighbors (who refuse to compromise) and slipshod landlords. This is outside Manhattan, of course. Manhattan rents are 30% higher. If you live in the upstairs apt. of a family's house in Queens or Brooklyn, bad things still happen. In my last place in Astoria, the landlady babysat her grandchildren from 8 AM till 9 PM M-F and let them have the run of the house and yard. I didn't know this when I moved in, and it could get rough. The day I moved was a happy day. The rent was $1,300 a month... in 2008. About Staten Island: it's isolated, mostly ugly, and the commute to/from Manhattan by car or ferry is a killer. Yes, SI is a little cheaper than the other boroughs, but not by that much.

New York has many nice things about it: Nightlife. Public transportation. Amenities. You can't discount its good points, but if you want a decent place to come home to (with or without roommates) or to show your relatives when they visit, you will have to pay some serious monthly rent.

Last edited by masonbauknight; 03-22-2013 at 03:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City