U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 03:00 PM

398 posts, read 1,254,072 times

Advertisements

I have always said that italian americans and ghetto people in NYC, north east jersey(Hoboken, jersey city etc.), Yonkers, Long Island and just in that general area are the same in terms of culture, slang, accent, style, mannerisms etc. Personally I consider north east jersey, Long Island, and yonkers the 6th, 7th and 8th boroughs. Now there's also subsets within each city that share differences. For instance bronx and brooklyn ghetto people are different, same with people in different neighborhoods for jersey city, hoboken, yonkers, Long Island etc. But overall like I said before, in that general area the ghetto people and italian americans are the same in terms of accent, slang, mannerisms, culture, style etc. Whenever someone makes it big out of New York or New Jersey I feel the same amount of pride. Since I grew up right across the river from NYC, have just as much family in NYC as I do in north east jersey, and spent just as much time in NYC as I did in jersey I feel like I am both a New Yorker and a new jersian. That's how a lot of north jersians feel. Well that's the way we all felt back in the day idk about today. South jersey is like a whole different planet. Back then we all had a new york attitude but we were born and raised and lived right across the river in jersey city. South jersey is more country like and north east jersey is more city like. Like I said I had a lot of family in north east jersey areas such as Hoboken, jersey city, Newark, Englewood, and Patterson. I also had a lot of family and just as much if not more family in NYC in areas such as brooklyn, manhattan, Staten Island, Bronx and also outside the city in Long Island.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 03:03 PM

398 posts, read 1,254,072 times
By ghetto people I mean inner city people.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City