Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 09:46 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
A 32 ounce soda always costs less than two 16 ounce sodas. Outlaw the 32 ounce, and people will buy two 16 ounce ones instead. They pay more...which increases sales tax receipts.

That's all this is, is a backdoor tax increase.

Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 09:58 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
If that were true npaladin2000, then people would already have stopped drinking soda, as we have been educating people for decades and what is the result? We keep getting fatter and sicker. When you have billions of dollars in marketing by the soda companies targeting you (training you) since the age of 2 years old to buy and drink as much of their toxic product as possible, how can we overcome that as a society?

The answer, unfortunately, is to legislate.

I don't think people are as educated as you think about healthy vs. unhealthy foods. I already said this much earlier but nutritional education needs to start in elementary school. From pre-school through high school, I do not remember receiving any type of nutritional education and if I did, it was very minimal and maybe it encompassed looking at the food pyramid in passing. With how scarily uninformed some people are about biology, I really think you're giving people too much credit.

I mean, I cannot tell you how many people think diet soda is some type of legitimate replacement because it lacks calories---yet don't realize how bad diet soda could potentially be, especially if you've read any of the research conducted in the past ten years. Most people don't even understand what is going on in research because most of their nutritional and science information comes from news blurbs.

How many times have we heard:
-Salt is bad for you. Whoops, new research said it has no impact. No wait, go back---another study says it's bad again. Wait, new study shows negligible impact.
-Cholesterol is evil, evil, evil. Don't eat too many eggs. Oh wait, after all of these years, it turns out eggs are probably good for you. And look at all of this new research that says high cholesterol diets might not be that bad---in fact, high carbohydrate diets (especially processed carbs) seems to have higher correlations of heart disease, diabetes, obesity, etc.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:17 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,624,854 times
Quote:
If that were true npaladin2000, then people would already have stopped drinking soda, as we have been educating people for decades and what is the result? We keep getting fatter and sicker. When you have billions of dollars in marketing by the soda companies targeting you (training you) since the age of 2 years old to buy and drink as much of their toxic product as possible, how can we overcome that as a society?

The answer, unfortunately, is to legislate.
Don't look at me, I started drinking diet a couple of years ago. Before they legislated, by the way. You're just annoyed that some people don't want to listen to you when you legislate.

You're also annoyed that those companies out there are using my strategy and it's working. Think about that some.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:54 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
So what we are all saying is, the education efforts have been an epic fail, while the billions in marketing/training starting from the age of 2 years old have been an epic success.

So the question is, how many more years/generations would you like to spend educating people in the hopes that they change? How many more deaths are tolerable? 10 million more? 50 million more? All the while the diseases and treatments from soda are crushing the healthcare system, and soda companies are continuing, as-is, with no liability whatsoever, just keep dumping more sickly people for us to pay for.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
So what we are all saying is, the education efforts have been an epic fail, while the billions in marketing/training starting from the age of 2 years old have been an epic success.

So the question is, how many more years/generations would you like to spend educating people in the hopes that they change? How many more deaths are tolerable? 10 million more? 50 million more? All the while the diseases and treatments from soda are crushing the healthcare system, and soda companies are continuing, as-is, with no liability whatsoever, just keep dumping more sickly people for us to pay for.
What we're saying is that YOUR education efforts have failed, while THEIR education efforts have succeeded. Which means you need to learn how to educate, not that you should just give up and order people around instead.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:10 PM

It is not mine, it is our government's that has failed..and the soda companies are not educating, they are training/enslaving/lieing aka marketing.

So your answer is, however millions more doesn't matter. It is more important to take the time and educate people, even if it takes generations, and even if it doesn't work the way you ideally expect. I guess it was a bad idea to legislate that blacks and whites CAN legally marry...it would have been better to just educate people about it and hope for the best. Same with slavery....I mean why go to war when we just needed to just educate people better! Understood.

Last edited by SobroGuy; 03-25-2013 at 01:08 PM..

Old 03-25-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
It is not mine, it is our government's has failed..and the soda companies are not educating, they are training/enslaving/lieing aka marketing.

So your answer is, however millions more doesn't matter. It is more important to take the time and educate people, even if it takes generations, and even if it doesn't work the way you ideally expect. I guess it was a bad idea to legislate that blacks and whites CAN legally marry...it would have been better to just educate people about it and hope for the best. Same with slavery....I mean why go to war when we just needed to just educate people better! Understood.
As usual, the Left has trouble differentiating between civil rights, and civil stupidity. I was tempted not to even include that self-righteous drivel, but I'll leave it because it hurts your case.

let me break this down for you very clearly. You have the right to live your life how YOU choose. And that's IT. You have the right to marry whatever color of person you choose so long as she agrees (assume she's a she that is). You do NOT have the right to tell others how to live their lives, because that makes THEM slaves to YOU.

Funny how liberals talk so big about freedom from slavery but then want to enslave us all to their government regulations.

Now, back to the point you wanted to avoid. The "education" efforts on both sides are propaganda/advertising campaigns, each trying to prove to everyone that they're "right." You're sour because they succeeded and "your" side failed. And you figure that gives your side the right to simply issue orders, because you're convinced of the "rightness" of your cause, even though you haven't managed to convince very many people of your "rightness." That should be your first clue that maybe your side is on the wrong track by the way.

Again, you're better off convincing people that so much friggin HFCS with so little physical activity is bad for them. Simply outlawing big sodas means they'll just buy two small ones. So get your frigging educational act together and do the stinking job, if you're convinced of the rightness of this cause. Because guess what? Making something illegal is not a synonym for "stopping it from happening."

Old 03-25-2013, 12:31 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
Sobro...what is your beverage of choice? Id like to know the industry that trained, enslaved and lied to you.

Unless you only drink Bloomie water out of the tap.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,215,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
As usual, the Left has trouble differentiating between civil rights, and civil stupidity. I was tempted not to even include that self-righteous drivel, but I'll leave it because it hurts your case.

let me break this down for you very clearly. You have the right to live your life how YOU choose. And that's IT. You have the right to marry whatever color of person you choose so long as she agrees (assume she's a she that is). You do NOT have the right to tell others how to live their lives, because that makes THEM slaves to YOU.

Funny how liberals talk so big about freedom from slavery but then want to enslave us all to their government regulations.

Now, back to the point you wanted to avoid. The "education" efforts on both sides are propaganda/advertising campaigns, each trying to prove to everyone that they're "right." You're sour because they succeeded and "your" side failed. And you figure that gives your side the right to simply issue orders, because you're convinced of the "rightness" of your cause, even though you haven't managed to convince very many people of your "rightness." That should be your first clue that maybe your side is on the wrong track by the way.

Again, you're better off convincing people that so much friggin HFCS with so little physical activity is bad for them. Simply outlawing big sodas means they'll just buy two small ones. So get your frigging educational act together and do the stinking job, if you're convinced of the rightness of this cause. Because guess what? Making something illegal is not a synonym for "stopping it from happening."

Old 03-25-2013, 01:12 PM

My beverage of choice is water (filtered), and on occasion I will drink a fruit smoothie, like Naked, or something similar. At times I will drink a Gatorade when I work out. I drink soda maybe 1x a year when I absolutely have to.

So we are all clear, it is ok when soda companies spend billions to tell you what to do, but when government does it, it is bad. All clear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City