Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 03:22 PM

911 posts, read 1,124,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Yes, in areas, it is. Astoria and the area in question have nothing at all in common. I have not lived in Astoria but we have close friends there and visit quite a bit. That comparison is simply preposterous.
The comparison is meant to preposterous, just like the statement that all areas with loud people, drugs and violence are ghettos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 05:01 PM

8,906 posts, read 4,690,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
Nope, don't work in real estate. I used to go to high school in the area, way back when Harlem was a lot more dangerous. There were days when my friends and I would have to fight just to get home. But I have family who live in the are, so I'm there often. Is the area dangerous? Yes. Are you going to get shot the minute you walk onto the street? No. Are you going to hear gunshots every single night? No. Will you hear gunshots a couple times a month? Probably.

It's hard to find parking in Harlem, so I normally take the train when I go and visit family. I don't wear expensive rings or watches, I don't have my phone in plain sight. I keep my wallet secured, and I calmly walk the 5 blocks to family's apartment when I visit. I haven't had an incident in almost a decade. Neither has my family. If you're street smart, you can avoid getting hurt. That includes not being out past dark.

The city's been trying to gentrify Harlem for years. They've started slowly in parts of East Harlem, and in parts of Harlem. With the Columbia expansion, the gentrification is only going to rapidly increase. A decade from now, Harlem will be different.

OP, Neil Patrick Harris lives in Harlem. If a skinny, rich, white gay man can make it Harlem, so can you (if you really want to live in Harlem.) You just have to be smart and avoid trouble.
Thanks so much for your feedback! Much appreciated. May I ask you another question?

Is this area better than the area around Woodrow Wilson Houses or Far Rockaway? Now that I think of it, I've been to both places briefly once to visit a high school friend. It didn't really faze me at the time because one, I was a teen and you think nothing can happen to you at that age and two, I was with my friend who is very tough and can scare the pants off of anyone. Not to mention it was her turf but it would've been quite a different story if I was out there alone. From a scale to 1-10, I'd say I'm about a 7 on street smarts.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:38 PM

911 posts, read 1,124,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Thanks so much for your feedback! Much appreciated. May I ask you another question?

Is this area better than the area around Woodrow Wilson Houses or Far Rockaway? Now that I think of it, I've been to both places briefly once to visit a high school friend. It didn't really faze me at the time because one, I was a teen and you think nothing can happen to you at that age and two, I was with my friend who is very tough and can scare the pants off of anyone. Not to mention it was her turf but it would've been quite a different story if I was out there alone. From a scale to 1-10, I'd say I'm about a 7 on street smarts.
Better then Woodrow Wilson Houses? Yes. There's still a lot of gang activity in those projects. Part of living in Harlem means avoiding the projects. Now Far Rockaway is different sort of neighborhood. Far Rockway is also "ghetto" around certain areas, but unlike Harlem, there's really no reason to live in the "better" areas of Far Rockaway because you're so far away from everything. Don't choose Far Rockaway unless you're going to the good area on the south side of the peninsula (which is pretty destroyed right now.)

Old 03-15-2013, 01:13 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,556,069 times
Whenever I've gone over there I've in no way, shape or form felt comfortable or welcome. It's the hood, anyone who tells you that area isn't a dump is either trying to sell you real estate or just plain delusional. Don't believe me? Get Crime Alert posts to your email. Info comes straight from the NYPD (the crimes that actually get reported lol). Constant burglaries and assaults. The rents are cheap for a reason. A better option would be going west of Broadway if you are interested in living up there. Once you cross over, it becomes a zoo. But next to the river there are civilized people lol.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 03-15-2013 at 01:24 PM..

Old 03-16-2013, 10:32 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,750,672 times
Some former friends of mine that i tend to keep in contact with who sporadically who live in the area say they love the gentrification cause it gives lots of targets with bigger pay outs.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:33 PM

912 posts, read 2,089,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Some former friends of mine that i tend to keep in contact with who sporadically who live in the area say they love the gentrification cause it gives lots of targets with bigger pay outs.
Robbery is a felony

Old 03-16-2013, 02:22 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,750,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
Robbery is a felony
Thank you captain obvious

Old 03-16-2013, 07:05 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,183,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
Robbery is a felony

My cat's breath smells like cat food...

Old 03-16-2013, 07:47 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,880,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
The comparison is meant to preposterous, just like the statement that all areas with loud people, drugs and violence are ghettos.
Um... areas with loud people, drugs, and violence are ghettos.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:58 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,168,786 times
Madison and 124th is another two-faced area. You're steps away from a nice Park, yet at dusk, things turn the opposite. There is also construction at the Hospital at that intersection. There is an Addict Rehabilitation facility three blocks up on Madison, next to the Shelter of Battered Women. 125th in that block is a waste land. No good shops, just smokies. Restaurants -bad, unless you like Applebees (1 block away).

East Harlem is surely gentrifying, and as elsewhere -- the single white female is leading the way.

Columbia expansion -- that ain't applicable on this side of Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: