Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 11:47 PM

757 posts, read 1,103,215 times

Advertisements

I've read several articles on the Kimani Gray shooting. The undercover cops were wrong for shooting him so many times, they shouldn't of fired their weapons more than 6 times. However, Kimani Gray had a gun on him, and he pointed it at the officer before, either one of the officers drew their weapons. Kimani aiming his weapon at law enforcement automatically puts those officers in a position to defend themselves,and they did. I'm totally against police brutally in any shape and form; however, the only problem I have with the story is the amount of times the officers shot Gray. There was no reason to shoot him so many times. In conclusion, I'm siding with the police on this one there was no reason for Kimani Gray to draw his weapon, the officers responded logically, and it cost him his life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 11:54 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Where is Al Sharpton? Isn't he supposed to be working with Commisioner Ray Kelly to get guns off the streets and out of the hands of the cities black youths?

Old 03-11-2013, 11:58 PM

757 posts, read 1,103,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Where is Al Sharpton? Isn't he supposed to be working with Commisioner Ray Kelly to get guns off the streets and out of the hands of the cities black youths?
Well we can see how well that's working out

Old 03-12-2013, 07:42 AM

862 posts, read 519,560 times
You point a gun at a cop, you deserve whatever happens to you... Interestingly enough the community responded by trashing their own neighborhood...shocking.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/12/ny...l?ref=nyregion

Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,811 times
If I am a cop and some 16 year old gangster points a gun at me, I'm not thinking do I fire six times or ten? I do what I need to do to protect my life that is in imminent jeopardy.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:44 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times
I'm sure the kid was just reaching for his handgun permit.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:47 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTwo View Post
You point a gun at a cop, you deserve whatever happens to you... Interestingly enough the community responded by trashing their own neighborhood...shocking.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/12/ny...l?ref=nyregion
Apparently, they threw bottles at police, broke store windows, and trashed a Rite Aid, stealing money and items and assaulting the employees. They also broke the windows of a city bus or busses.

One of the protesters said something about "innocent children" being killed - but this person, although only sixteen, had a number of prior arrests. Not sure how innocent he was.

Wondering what his family story was, and why (at 16) he was just hanging out without supervision.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:36 AM

916 posts, read 2,246,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
I've read several articles on the Kimani Gray shooting. The undercover cops were wrong for shooting him so many times, they shouldn't of fired their weapons more than 6 times. However, Kimani Gray had a gun on him, and he pointed it at the officer before, either one of the officers drew their weapons. Kimani aiming his weapon at law enforcement automatically puts those officers in a position to defend themselves,and they did. I'm totally against police brutally in any shape and form; however, the only problem I have with the story is the amount of times the officers shot Gray. There was no reason to shoot him so many times. In conclusion, I'm siding with the police on this one there was no reason for Kimani Gray to draw his weapon, the officers responded logically, and it cost him his life.
It's unfortunate a young 16 yrs old boy died, but the undercover cops done nothing wrong here.
You are asking for death pointing a gun at anyone, let alone at the police officers who were justify
in defending themselves. You threaten someone with deadly force, people will defend themselves with
deadly force.

I don't think the cops were thinking how many shots it would take to bring down another person when
a gun is pointed at them, they probably just fire as many shots as possible to take down the threat
with adrenaline running high facing life and death situation.

On the other hand, there is no justification for the rioters to beat up innocent store employees and
customers. Those who did should be arrested and charge with assault for their crimes. They don't
represent the whole community, but they did a good job of damaging the image of the community
with those actions. It will reinforce the stereotypes in people's mind when they read the news of
the riot.

Last edited by Jaydata; 03-12-2013 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-12-2013, 10:52 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Apparently, they threw bottles at police, broke store windows, and trashed a Rite Aid, stealing money and items and assaulting the employees. They also broke the windows of a city bus or busses.

One of the protesters said something about "innocent children" being killed - but this person, although only sixteen, had a number of prior arrests. Not sure how innocent he was.

Wondering what his family story was, and why (at 16) he was just hanging out without supervision.
Sounds like a miniture Rodney King riot.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:53 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post

On the other hand, there is no justification for the rioters to beat up innocent store employees and
customers. Those who did should be arrested and charge with assault for their crimes. They don't
represent the whole community, but they did a good job of damaging the image of the community
with those actions. It will reinforce the stereotypes in people's mind when they read the news of
the riot.
Strongly agree ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City