Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:42 PM

90 posts, read 253,189 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I have sort of an....odd, question to ask. Kind of a hypothetical....

In about two months, I am going to be moving back to California, however, the lease I signed on my current apt does not expire until January 2014. I certainly may be able to find someone to sublet the apt but I wanted to find out what could potentially happen if I simply walk away from the lease. My family seems to think that I can probably do that without any sort of repercussions because, as they say, "What are they going to do?" I just wanted to find out if anyone here has done anything similar or knows someone who did and what the result was. Do you think they will try and track me down moving 3,000 miles away and to a different state? What does the law say? Do I have any sort of rights in this matter?

With so many people in NY always moving and looking for apts, I probably can indeed find someone to take over my lease but in case I can't, I simply wanted to find out what would/could happen if I just pack up and disappear.

Thanks very much. I'd appreciate any and all feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 07:13 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
In reality, the likelihood is that you will lose your security deposit and little more.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:22 PM

Thank you for your response, Kefir King. That is exactly what someone else thought when I asked them, too. I appreciate your candor and hope that more folks will chime in as well. I quite eager to hear other people's opinions.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:49 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,373 times
The downside is the possibility they take you to court and get a judgement to garnish your wages and try to enforce it in a different state. Taking it that far is unlikely. But taking it part way- like sue you in New York- is possible and would have repercussions if another future prospective NY landlord does a background check on you.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:53 PM

395 posts, read 1,214,111 times
If you do walk away and they get a judgement against you, I hope you never plan to move back to New York City again because it will be difficult to get an apartment. On the other hand, it should be simple to find a person to lease your apartment. Just make sure to screen them and your landlord will probably also screen them as well.
The other thing to look out for is that the judgement may appear on your credit and as a result damage your score.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:26 PM

To put it mildly, I am moving back to California because I cannot stand living in New York. I came here for a job opportunity but realize that it wasn't the right decision. The apt I'm living in is not some high-class, ritzy place in Manhattan. It's in Yonkers. Nothing fancy, just normal. I do worry that the company might try and come after me, but I also feel like it's simply not worth the time, frustrations, and the money it would probably cost them to do so. I might put an ad on Craigslist just to gauge what sort of response I may get to someone subletting.

Any more opinions? Please reply if so.....

Old 03-12-2013, 08:55 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,577,420 times
Have you approached the landlord and asked? It's possible that they would be reasonable, especially if you offer to find a replacement. Since you're that close to the end of the lease...

Old 03-12-2013, 09:25 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Just call them and talk to the regarding your situation. You technically can't sublet cause sublet implies you will be returning to your apt. Basically you are looking for someone to take over the remaining part of your lease and possible renewing it on their on lease when its over if they so choose to.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:47 PM

I'm hesitant to approach the super of the building because I'm fearful that they might try and stop me, especially if they figure out I'm trying to walk away from the lease. There was no "landlord," just a broker I went through.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:50 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker34 View Post
I'm hesitant to approach the super of the building because I'm fearful that they might try and stop me, especially if they figure out I'm trying to walk away from the lease. There was no "landlord," just a broker I went through.
Who do you pay rent to? A management company? If so they are the landlord. Call them up. Is it a big building? You could call up and say you are a tenant and have to move across the country for personal reasons. Don't state who you are or what apt you are in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City