Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you speak with a New York accent?
Yes 16 53.33%
No 14 46.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 03:02 PM

588 posts, read 947,492 times

Advertisements

Staten Island
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 03:18 PM

398 posts, read 1,392,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
I didn't know I had a NY accent til I moved cross country.
Same. You ever never notice until you're away.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:14 PM

Hopefully the New York accent never does though. Like I said I'm from jersey and I have a New York accent and I have always felt pride in it and never tried to cover my accent.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:27 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
^ so you like to hear yourself speak? is it really that serious?

Old 03-19-2013, 10:19 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
NYC accents are still alive and well in the outer boroughs.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ so you like to hear yourself speak? is it really that serious?
No. But I just don't shy away from my accent like some people do. You should take pride in yourself.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:36 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
I drove from Durham, NC to Atlanta last night, and was listening to some talk on the radio. People would call in and comment why Georgia's schools suck. What do you know -- some NY dude who had moved to ATL 20 yeas ago, called in. The moment he opened his mouth, I started laughing. He tried to cover his accent, yet, by his 2nd or 3rd sentence he let it out -- he was from Queens. It looks like NY accent is spreading its tentacles all over the South now.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:52 PM

4 posts, read 3,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
News to you, it is the SAME IGNORAANT ASS SPEECH!

Same speech found all over the tri state. How and why? Simple, the cauldron of the Lower East Side immigrant pit, and WHITEFLIGHT!

Long Island, Staten Island, full of ex Brooklynites. You think they originated on the islands? NO! They emmigrated and brought BROOKLYN with them!

Same thing upstate NY, Westchester/Orange/Dutchess counties, except those folks immigrated from The Bronx, as well as other boroughs.

Many of the Jersey white ethnics also hailed from the five boroughs, but also, they originate from various urban places in NJ; but, they all came over on the same boats dumped onto Ellis Island, then dispersed to the port and factory cities of the tri state. Same urban experience!, whether Irish, Italian or Jewish, etc. Same ethnic insularity.

The so called NYC accent is NOT an accent, but simply the result of perpetuated IGNORANCE!!

Dem, douse, and dease, PUH-LEEZE!

Its not an accent it is ignorance NEVER corrected. Why should it be, and how could it be, corrected, when everyone you deal with is equally as ignorant.

The so called NYC accent is the consequence of Ignorance, Poor Schooling, and INSULARITY!!

When you live in a closed community, the ignorance within is simply perpetuated!! That's it!

Why is it, those natives who do NOT suffer the above, DO NOT SPEAK ignorantly!?

I don't, I speak the Queen's English, as does ALL my contemporaries! There is absolutely NO NYC accent in my circle, not personally (think real life Cosby Show), and not at work (white shoe WASPs and assimilated WASPs)!

It is a CLASS thing. It is a White Ethnic thing.

Why is it Knickerbockers and NYC WASPs do NOT speak with ahhhh NYC accent????

The so called accent is EXCLUSIVELY, the provence of, Insular, Working Class, White Ethnics! That is the background. No one else speaks that way, unless overly exposed to the same environment.

There is NO NYC accent! Only stupid groups of people who can't speak right! Sheeesh!

That's just one of several reasons NOT to live there.

I felt obligated to create an account and explain to this snob, what an accent is and isn't. An accent is the progression of language and dialects. They can be spoken by ignorant people, or intelegence people e.g. the southern accent. You have southern aristocrats and southern common folk, who worked as farm hands, menial jobs on the plantation, and slaves. Then you have the English accent, again with an aristocracy, and common dialect. The same goes for the New York accent. You can speak proper English, like myself, and still have a New York accent. Just because you seen a mob movie, or caught the off hand unintelligent New Yorker, and think that's the only way a New York accent can sound, doesn't make it so.

Ps. What's with all the bashing of blue collar workers? Society doesn't function without them. Not only that, it's an excellent way to earn a great living without incurring crippling college debt. Working for Consolidated Edison as a lineman, earns about $120,000 a year, with benifits, pension, 401k, and stock options. The best part is, it's no longer the early death sentence it was 40 years ago. And if you want to learn the things you missed out on in college, there's a magical thing called books, filled with the collective knowledge of mankind. At least that's how they used to do it. Now we've upgraded to a magical thing called the internet. I've taken free online courses with Harvard professors, I've even taken a trip down to Columbia University, to audit classes. But mostly I do online free courses that most credible universities offer these days. Not to mention I read plenty of books. What would I know though, I'm just a dumb, blue collar guy,with an ignorant New York accent. I couldn't possibly be well educated through nontraditional channels, make 6 figures, be invest in real estate, and have a diverse portfolio. I also couldn't be writing a book on the fallacies of Aristotle, in my spare time. No I'm just a big dumb New Yorker. Why ask me what I'm doing, I'll just respond with a simple "beatin miihh whife an crushin beer cans on miihh skull."

Old 06-21-2016, 09:06 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
Really? I have an accent big time...at least that's what they tell me down here.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:11 PM

6,376 posts, read 5,000,641 times
My mom has a bit of one, though not nearly like she did as a kid since she moved from Queens to Illinois over thirty years ago. My dad's noticed some New York elements in my brother's and my speech, like the "phonemic ae-tensing" system (the reason that "have" and "halve" aren't pronounced the same to a NYer).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxKid11 View Post
I felt obligated to create an account and explain to this snob, what an accent is and isn't. An accent is the progression of language and dialects. They can be spoken by ignorant people, or intelegence people e.g. the southern accent. You have southern aristocrats and southern common folk, who worked as farm hands, menial jobs on the plantation, and slaves. Then you have the English accent, again with an aristocracy, and common dialect. The same goes for the New York accent. You can speak proper English, like myself, and still have a New York accent. Just because you seen a mob movie, or caught the off hand unintelligent New Yorker, and think that's the only way a New York accent can sound, doesn't make it so.

Ps. What's with all the bashing of blue collar workers? Society doesn't function without them. Not only that, it's an excellent way to earn a great living without incurring crippling college debt. Working for Consolidated Edison as a lineman, earns about $120,000 a year, with benifits, pension, 401k, and stock options. The best part is, it's no longer the early death sentence it was 40 years ago. And if you want to learn the things you missed out on in college, there's a magical thing called books, filled with the collective knowledge of mankind. At least that's how they used to do it. Now we've upgraded to a magical thing called the internet. I've taken free online courses with Harvard professors, I've even taken a trip down to Columbia University, to audit classes. But mostly I do online free courses that most credible universities offer these days. Not to mention I read plenty of books. What would I know though, I'm just a dumb, blue collar guy,with an ignorant New York accent. I couldn't possibly be well educated through nontraditional channels, make 6 figures, be invest in real estate, and have a diverse portfolio. I also couldn't be writing a book on the fallacies of Aristotle, in my spare time. No I'm just a big dumb New Yorker. Why ask me what I'm doing, I'll just respond with a simple "beatin miihh whife an crushin beer cans on miihh skull."
*claps vigorously*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City