Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you speak with a New York accent?
Yes 16 53.33%
No 14 46.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 PM

398 posts, read 1,392,380 times

Advertisements

It seems every year less and less people talk with a New York accent. I have a New York accent. People in NYC, many north eastern New Jersey cities, Long Island and just in that general area have New York accents. As a matter of fact people in that general area are all the same(in terms of culture, style, accent, slang, mannerisms etc.). Well usually Italian americans and African Americans in that area. Not too sure about any other ethnic groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 09:32 PM

398 posts, read 1,392,380 times
Specifically, people in the 5 boroughs of NYC, north eastern New Jersey cities neighboring NYC(ex: Hoboken, Bayonne, jersey city etc.), and western Long Island speak with a New York accent.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:34 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times

Old 03-12-2013, 09:39 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
People from New Jersey don't speak with a NY accent.They speak with a Jersey accent.People fom Long Island don't speak with a NY accent,they speak with a Long Island accent.I live in a part of The Bronx where almost everyone has a NY accent so it doesn't seem to be fading by me.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:23 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
total brooklyn accent here.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:29 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,811,642 times
Default The NYC Accent does not exist! It is a fallacy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
People from New Jersey don't speak with a NY accent.They speak with a Jersey accent.People fom Long Island don't speak with a NY accent,they speak with a Long Island accent.
News to you, it is the SAME IGNORAANT ASS SPEECH!

Same speech found all over the tri state. How and why? Simple, the cauldron of the Lower East Side immigrant pit, and WHITEFLIGHT!

Long Island, Staten Island, full of ex Brooklynites. You think they originated on the islands? NO! They emmigrated and brought BROOKLYN with them!

Same thing upstate NY, Westchester/Orange/Dutchess counties, except those folks immigrated from The Bronx, as well as other boroughs.

Many of the Jersey white ethnics also hailed from the five boroughs, but also, they originate from various urban places in NJ; but, they all came over on the same boats dumped onto Ellis Island, then dispersed to the port and factory cities of the tri state. Same urban experience!, whether Irish, Italian or Jewish, etc. Same ethnic insularity.

The so called NYC accent is NOT an accent, but simply the result of perpetuated IGNORANCE!!

Dem, douse, and dease, PUH-LEEZE!

Its not an accent it is ignorance NEVER corrected. Why should it be, and how could it be, corrected, when everyone you deal with is equally as ignorant.

The so called NYC accent is the consequence of Ignorance, Poor Schooling, and INSULARITY!!

When you live in a closed community, the ignorance within is simply perpetuated!! That's it!

Why is it, those natives who do NOT suffer the above, DO NOT SPEAK ignorantly!?

I don't, I speak the Queen's English, as does ALL my contemporaries! There is absolutely NO NYC accent in my circle, not personally (think real life Cosby Show), and not at work (white shoe WASPs and assimilated WASPs)!

It is a CLASS thing. It is a White Ethnic thing.

Why is it Knickerbockers and NYC WASPs do NOT speak with ahhhh NYC accent????

The so called accent is EXCLUSIVELY, the provence of, Insular, Working Class, White Ethnics! That is the background. No one else speaks that way, unless overly exposed to the same environment.

There is NO NYC accent! Only stupid groups of people who can't speak right! Sheeesh!

Quote:
I live in a part of The Bronx where almost everyone has a NY accent so it doesn't seem to be fading by me.
That's just one of several reasons NOT to live there.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:05 AM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,988 times
Wow did Coltrane start a thread deriding "whitey"? I for one am shocked. My odd friend, the fact that you blathered on for several paragraphs and ignore the fact that plenty of blacks and hispanics talk with a strong ny accent, tells me that you're either simply attempting to stir sheeeit up or truly are mentally unstable.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:12 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Wow did Coltrane start a thread deriding "whitey"? I for one am shocked. My odd friend, the fact that you blathered on for several paragraphs and ignore the fact that plenty of blacks and hispanics talk with a strong ny accent, tells me that you're either simply attempting to stir sheeeit up or truly are mentally unstable.
It seems as if he's been extra fiesty lately on these threads... In my book, he used to keep it real most of the time but now it just seems as if he's venting on this cite and joined the hipster/yuppy bashing crowd... Welcome to the club my friend... For the record, I'll be the first to admit i'm not crazy about these people mainly because of the arrogance alot of them show, but you treat me right and don't act like a snob and we're cool... I don't really understand hating on people for absolutely no other reason other than you don't like what they stand for...

Old 03-13-2013, 09:20 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,987 times
Bluedog really hit a nerve to have Coltrane start a new thread (and not address it where's being discussed).... Very amusing.

But as much as I don't like the guy and usually disagree with his radical views, he does have a good point.

For the most part, educated native new yorkers, or those who are well traveled, do not adopt provincial dialects.
The NY accent is mostly a working class thing. Which, btw, is fading away VERY quickly.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:30 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
compare the ny/northern accent to the south
and western parts of the country and you will
be able to tell it exists no matter how proper
or ignorant people sound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City