Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 12:57 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilksFavoriteCookie View Post
....NYC means Queens, Bronx....I'm not writing that ****, but you do need a car. Public transportation sucks. For example, the dude about the groceries who said call a cab. Just count the amount of times you go grocery shopping and now count the amount of times you ***** because you have to wait for a cab or bus.

You live here you get a car. Yes you can live without one, but having one DOES make your life easier. Especially, if you choose not to live in Manhattan. Public transportation outside of Manhattan sucks, slow, and is severely lacking.
The other thing is, getting around to different parts of the Bronx one does need a car . The train lines are built to take commuters into Manhattan, and that's it. I can say the same for Queens. Or getting around the metro area. If I went to visit my relatives in Central Queens, driving from the North Bronx would take 25 minutes. To go by train, its an hour and one half.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 01:01 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
lol I warned you:
  • I wanna see you spend $280+ on a monthly or 112$ a month on an unlimited lol
  • Then I want to see you wait 10-20 mins per train in order to get to your destination rush hour.
  • Forget about traveling during off peak hours 20-40minute wait
  • Lets not forget the 20 minutes you will wait for the bus if you miss it.
  • The average commute time for NYers is 30mins (but that doesn't include waking up, getting dress, or waiting) .
  • The farther out you go the longer it is.

Why? Because again I'll say, transportation sucks past a certain point. If you get a map of New York, you'll realize that the subway does not cover much of the area. Lets call Manhattan the center of the circle. The further you go out, the less subway lines you'll see. Notice that the average is 30mins just for living in New York when things go smoothly. You mentioned Conneticut or NJ. Well if you lived in Conneticut your commute will be roughly 1-4 hours and you won't be taking a subway because none exist up there (1 hr if Stamford/ 4 hrs if Hartford). If you live in New Jersey City, you'll be taking either a bus or 40min train ride on PATH.

If you have a car, it'll take 16 mins to get to the city from NJ. It'll take 1-2hrs to get to the city from Conneticut. Ultimately, you will be taking the train to work most days for other reasons. However, that is what you are looking at. Unless you choose to live in the heart of Manhattan or the boroughs, you are going to need a car.

You'll eventually need a car in NYC itself. There's a reason why those who can afford to have cars do. In the outer boroughs the trains just take you into Manhattan. What about intra borough transportation? You'll need a car. If I want to go from the Bronx to Queens, by car its much faster than by train. And lets not even talk about going to the suburbs, which can have commuter trains or buses that leave like what, every hour? For work, for social reasons, for recreation sometimes people do have to go around the Metro area, and in the metro area as whole people drive. Someone is filling those cars on the interstates.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:38 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,168,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
There are believe it or not people who live in Manhattan, and who drive out to their residences in the suburbs. Or who drive to the suburbs to see family. Or who sometimes work in suburbs. I see a lot of bars in Manhattan itself, so SOMEONE is DRIVING them. The streets and freeways are always full of cars.
Of course there are some, however the vast majority of Manhattan residents do not own a car. The troubles are not worth it. Not to mention there is plenty within walking distance, great transit, and zip car for roaming the metro area. I live in Manhattan and a car would not speed up my day movements, the opposite is more accurate (Parking, traffic). Worst case scenario I take a cab.

Quote:
The other thing is, getting around to different parts of the Bronx one does need a car . The train lines are built to take commuters into Manhattan, and that's it. I can say the same for Queens. Or getting around the metro area. If I went to visit my relatives in Central Queens, driving from the North Bronx would take 25 minutes. To go by train, its an hour and one half.
You do NOT need a car to get around the Bronx. The entire borough is transit accessible. Some places take longer to access due to poor proximity to a subway station but the Bronx is well served by rapid transit, buses, and cabs. I grew up in the Bronx and lived down the block from the elevated, and around the corner from a B.I.D. In the worst case I lived a mile from the subway station but there was a ton of commercial amenities nearby, so unless I went to work, school, shop for special items not available locally or visit friends I did not have go leave my neighborhood. In both cases work and school were only a couple subway stops away (some jobs, a walk). I could also take a bus or cab. Friends were scattered about but I prefer being out (usually Manhattan) and about then visiting people at home.

West Queens is similar but East Queens neighborhoods typically lack direct rapid transit access. However, there are other options like LIRR, shuttle/express buses and cabs. The resourceful types would also bike between neighborhoods (quickly increasing in transit mode share). Therefore a car is NOT a necessity in Queens, it is a luxury.

Quote:
You'll eventually need a car in NYC itself. There's a reason why those who can afford to have cars do. In the outer boroughs the trains just take you into Manhattan. What about intra borough transportation? You'll need a car. If I want to go from the Bronx to Queens, by car its much faster than by train. And lets not even talk about going to the suburbs, which can have commuter trains or buses that leave like what, every hour? For work, for social reasons, for recreation sometimes people do have to go around the Metro area, and in the metro area as whole people drive. Someone is filling those cars on the interstates.
There is plenty of intra-borough mass transit. You do not need a car anywhere in NYC. For some trips a car can provide a quicker route but it comes at a premium price. Most New Yorkers simply avoid those difficult trips when they can. How many people commute on a regular basis from one area with poor rapid transit to another?

As for the Metro, how many times do most New Yorkers leave the 5 boroughs? Enough to warrant a private auto? Or would zip car be a wise move financially? I know for a fact most New Yorkers only leave the city on occasion. For anything outside the metro, fly or take Amtrack with the money you saved on a car. Can't drive to London or Rio.

You DO NOT NEED a car in NYC. Your forgetting that most people work in the transit accessible core of the city, that most neighborhoods are rich in amenities within walking distance, that people seldom leave the city, and those who live in the boroughs can walk, bike, bus or cab between neighborhoods which lack direct rapid transit connections. Most New Yorkers also reside in close proximity to rapid transit stations, those are the most dense parts of the city. The vast majority of people in New York City live within 1 mile of a subway station.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:46 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
For purposes of this thread, we can put the car debate to rest because the OP has stated that he will be keeping his car, at least initially, factoring the costs to do so.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-18-2013, 08:54 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
First, let me thank everyone for their replies and apologize for my tardiness. I wouldn't give up my car for at least a year after moving to NYC (if I do) so that would have to factor into my costs. As for living in New Jersey or Connecticut, I'm aware I'd have to take Metro North or NJT and I'm well aware that delays can happen. As I indicated, I've been driving 45 miles one way through a major city for the better part of the last five years, and I can much better tolerate a two hour train delay than a highway delay. I do plan however to keep my daily car use to a minimum at worst, driving a few miles to a train station, whether subway or commuter rail, and at best, living within walking or cycling distance of a station. I don't mind driving for groceries, but I'd like to find a place with various stores within walking or cycling distance as well.

Thanks again for all the replies, the debates here are helpful in seeing the various sides to the choices I have to make!
Do you prefer a more suburban environment, or do you like the city? If you wanted to have a bit of the city, with access to NYC, you may consider White Plains in Westchester. If you wanted something a bit more suburban in nature, you might be better off with some of the smaller towns/villages in Westchester. Tarrytown is another place that you might consider, mixing access to the city with proximity to shops and services.

Generally, it is easier to go further into Westchester or Connecticut than to factor crossing the Hudson, once you are out of the immediate vicinity of Manhattan because the Tappan Zee is congested, so the bus can be delayed to get to a Hudson Line train, the buses to the Port Authority can be slow, and the rail option from Rockland requires a transfer at Secaucus Junction to get to Penn Station. You might have a faster, more reliable, travel time from Mount Kisco than Rockland, despite Mount Kisco being just under an hour from Grand Central.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-18-2013, 11:29 AM

345 posts, read 853,507 times
Queens - Astoria, sunnyside, kew gardens
Jersey City - path train to city is easy
Do not bring a car here, the tolls alone will shock you. It costs like $13 to go from NJ to NY.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:49 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
....NYC means Queens, Bronx....I'm not writing that ****, but you do need a car. Public transportation sucks. For example, the dude about the groceries who said call a cab. Just count the amount of times you go grocery shopping and now count the amount of times you ***** because you have to wait for a cab or bus.

You live here you get a car. Yes you can live without one, but having one DOES make your life easier. Especially, if you choose not to live in Manhattan. Public transportation outside of Manhattan sucks, slow, and is severely lacking.
The guy is worried about hidden expenses and he works in Manhattan. He can't avoid going into Manhattan--he will be working there. He's worried about hidden expenses--car ownership can be an incredible source of hidden expenses in NYC (insurance, gradual damage from weather and road conditions, parking/traffic violations, toll roads, gas prices that are generally higher than that of Georgia, etc.). Sure if you ignore what the OP is asking about, then your advice is pretty great.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:07 PM

145 posts, read 307,079 times
Quote:
There are believe it or not people who live in Manhattan, and who drive out to their residences in the suburbs. Or who drive to the suburbs to see family. Or who sometimes work in suburbs. I see a lot of bars in Manhattan itself, so SOMEONE is DRIVING them. The streets and freeways are always full of cars.
Yes, I and I used to one of them (left Manhattan in '07) - that's why I have a Zipcar membership.

One of my old friends who lived up the street from me in Manhattan had a car - it was nightmare for him! Can't tell you how many parking tickets he got, even when he was parked in perfectly legal spots - and I shudder to think at all the money he wasted on meters and his parking spot in a lot on the West Side, all the way across town from us on 2nd Ave (and which he often had to take a cab to/from, in order to pick up/drop off his car!!). Then there were those lovely days when his car would just disappear - because the NYPD had it towed way for being in the wrong spot at the wrong time (an easy mistake in the city, since the parking signs are almost indecipherable). That cost him hundreds of dollars each time, not to mention the hours wasted waiting on line at the the place where his car was towed.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:27 AM

7,357 posts, read 6,525,292 times
To answer bmwguydc's question, I'd ultimately prefer a more suburban feel, but I'll take what I can afford while starting out. I had originally targeted Mineola as my first choice, but the costs of the commuter rail seem to price it out of my range for now.
It seems though based on the more recent posts, that real close-in areas make having a car a nightmare so I'm definitely going to look farther out. Not to mention the costs of parking unless I intend to roll the dice and go with street parking.

Doing further research however, I've discovered something else. Namely, that in the suburbs at least, it may actually be cheaper to go ahead and buy a house and pay a monthly mortgage than to rent, even when property taxes are included. Can anyone speak to this? I'd have an issue with the down payment because I'm starting out of course, but does anyone have any thoughts on renting vs. carrying a mortgage?

Also, are there any good sites someone can recommend (forum rules permitting of course) other than apartments.com? I seem to only get a handful of possibilities when using that site.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:27 PM

30 posts, read 39,523 times
If you lived on Staten Island, $1600 would buy a nice rental, and there's lots of parking in many neighborhoods. If you're a nonsmoker who has no pets, the world is yours. I pay about $850/yr in car insurance, and there's a NYC surcharge for car registration, which brings it up to over $100 every 2 years. Car inspections have to be done yearly, and that's $35.00. Gas is way cheaper than in other boroughs, especially so at Costco. On the other hand, food is cheaper on Staten Island than in Manhattan, likely because there's so much competition. You most likely won't use your car to commute into Manhattan, so 30-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCards are $112 and are good until midnight on the 30th day. Most commuters use them for the bus/train to the ferry (free), and subway shlepp from Staten Island. If you commute via an express bus (more seamless - get on at your stop, get off in Manhattan and walk to your job), the 7-Day Express Plus Pass will increase to $55.00. More information as to commuting prices can be found at The NYC MetroCard Calculator - Updated for New 2013 Fares . Staten Island is a commute to be sure, but many people I know say it's their only time to read. Staten Island also is more like a small city elsewhere in the country. There are lots of trees, and a large Greenbelt where you can often hike alone without running into people all over the place. Where you wind up depends on what you want from the place you live, what irks you (leaf blowers are as common as birds in many sections of Staten Island). Look for borough local papers online (for Staten Island it's Staten Island NY Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - SILive.com), see what's out there.

Last edited by moredogsplz; 03-21-2013 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: more information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City